How KOTCS could've been made better?

theneogon

Small things that would have made the movie better

This thread is where you can share those little changes that you wish you could make to the movie.

I'll start by listing two of my own:

1. They should have called Akator by its more common name El Dorado. This would have demphasized the alienness of the entire city. People are familiar with the story of El Dorado.

2. The natives should bow before the crystal skull, not back away fearfully from it. This would have emphasized the idea that the extra dimensional beings played the role as the native's gods.

James

The only change I would make would be the way Akator was represented onscreen. I would've liked a few more shots of the valley outside the pyramid, and a few more scenes of Indy and the gang exploring the interior. Just a single matte shot of them walking down a vast corridor would've sufficed.

The novelization goes into greater detail during this part, and makes it clear that the pyramid is large subterranean complex. But in the film, it appears to just be three or four small chambers.

This would've added to the film's scope, and emphasized that Indy had made one of his largest archaeological finds ever.

EddyW

There was a similar thread called "how to improve KOTCS" but I can't seem to find it anymore, was the thread removed?

theneogon

EddyW said:
There was a similar thread called "how to improve KOTCS" but I can't seem to find it anymore, was the thread removed?

I'm sorry if there is another thread about this. But if its gone than lets keep this one. I want to focus on small changes to movie, not huge changes in the plot or theme.

James

Lady in Red said:
Maybe add a little bit more interaction between Indy and Marion. It'd make the end seem a bit more plausible.

By today's standards, but not 1957's. Many 50s B movies ended with the hero and heroine tying the knot- despite having just met over the course of the film's story.

In the case of Indy and Marion, we already know the two have had a long history together. It's at least the fourth time their paths have crossed: They had a backstory and adventure in ROTLA, and in KOTCS, we learn that they nearly wed in 1938.

Of course, this is not to say that I wouldn't have enjoyed more scenes between the two. :)

ValenciaGrail

Let's see Sallah at the wedding, and possibly Short Round or even Willie.

Yes - it would have been corny and campy, but IMO it would have had a sort of Star Wars campiness about it...meaning it would not have felt out of place. The wedding itself was a bit corny, so why not just go the whole nine yards and add a bit of an "IJ, This is your life" angle?

Sallah, in addition to being the most interesting character in the franchise this side of Indy, was clearly a very close and loyal friend of Indy's, so it would have made sense for him to be there. Plus, some closure to the "Where are they now" questions about SR and Willie would have been nice IMO.

MaxPhactor23

I don't think the problem with this film is what was left out, but more with what was kept in. I wouldn't add anything, I'd take away a lot of elements however.

ValenciaGrail said:
Let's see Sallah at the wedding, and possibly Short Round or even Willie.

Plus, some closure to the "Where are they now" questions about SR and Willie would have been nice IMO.

haha...I get your jist and I'm just teasin' here, but having an ex-flame at your wedding isn't a great way to start a marriage off...

ValenciaGrail

phildominator said:
haha...I get your jist and I'm just teasin' here, but having an ex-flame at your wedding isn't a great way to start a marriage off...

Yeah, there is that awkwardness angle, but a lot of years have passed, and both Indy and presumably Willie have moved on with their lives.

My own wedding actually had at least one "old flame" on the guest list, and it wasn't a big issue.

Indy_Chic

A change that I would make would be Indy's naked decontamination scene longer. With the camera zooming in on Indy's chest and muscles!
swoon6we.gif
Lol!

|ZiR|

phildominator said:

I wouldn't go so far as to call Willie an "ex flame." Booty call, more like.

Indy_Chic said:
A change that I would make would be Indy's naked decontamination scene longer. With the camera zooming in on Indy's chest and muscles!
swoon6we.gif
Lol!

AGREED! KotCS needed more man-titties.

Last edited:

Mutt-Jones III

It does?

James said:
The novelization goes into greater detail during this part, and makes it clear that the pyramid is large subterranean complex. But in the film, it appears to just be three or four small chambers.

I haven't read all of it yet. :whip:

Indy_Chic

Another change I would like would be for Indy seeing the Ark in the Warehouse. I know he sees it in the novel but it would of been pretty cool for him to see it in the film. ;)

Also, I still like the idea of the Indy's naked decontamination scene to be extended! :eek: Lets make a petition for it be on the DVD release. Lol! :p

Agent Z

Indy_Chic said:
Also, I still like the idea of the Indy's naked decontamination scene to be extended! :eek: Lets make a petition for it be on the DVD release. Lol! :p

:rolleyes:

Women! Pffft! :p

ValenciaGrail

Indy_Chic said:
Another change I would like would be for Indy seeing the Ark in the Warehouse. I know he sees it in the novel but it would of been pretty cool for him to see it in the film. ;)

Let's remember now, the man is 65...perhaps you ladies would appreciate such an extended scene a bit more if filmed using a double... ;)

"It's the mileage AND the years..."

Way of the dodo

A running gunfight! Better yet, a running gunfight instead of the waterfalls. I just think the last half hour needs some more danger/action.