General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Udvarnoky

I have no faith in the veracity of this source, although unlike seems to be the consensus here I'd be gung-ho about an oceanic Indy adventure. How many deserts and South American jungles are there left to see him explore on the silver screen?

Honestly the most exciting thing about the possibility of this being real is the one last round of wonderful speculation and anticipation us fans will be able to engage in up until the release date.

Udvarnoky

Prime Blue said:
It's been done already, and the game explored it better than a movie ever could.

Still, considering how many ideas from Fate of Atlantis appeared in Indy4, I wouldn't put it past the Beards to directly recycle an expanded universe McGuffin. I do doubt Atlantis for any movie, though.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Maybe it's the "Opal of the Mer-man Prince"....:rolleyes:

Honestly, it's just some website trying to make a name for itself. In any case, I feel the Bermuda Triangle had been overdone. And I don't want any more aliens or inter-dimensional beings or whatever they are! In fact, I'd be more welcoming of a movie based on the other B movie genre of the '50s- the Monster movie, ala "Creature from the Black Lagoon".

Heck, I would be happier re-visiting a storyline involving the Ark of the Covenant to book-end the series (minus any of those alien ideas from those meetings back in '79).

Personally though, at best, I want to see a Garden of Eden/ Tree of Life storyline. If you want Indy to face death, it should be there.

Indy's brother

Just thought I'd throw this out there. Geoff Boucher sent me a short reply about when he will interview Ford next (and yes, he previously said that he would specifically ask about Indy 5 this time). I told him that I wanted to know so that I could share it here and on my Indy 5 page, so this is what he said:

Geoff Boucher June 7 at 12:47pm Report
I'm hoping to talk to him on the set of "Cowboys & Aliens" in July or Aug

There you have it. Not much, but it's something to look forward to that may yield something. Besides, at least anything from it will be legitimate.

Another month or two, but who knows? Maybe this last rumor may prompt an actual response before then.....Anyway, let's roll out the quote:

"Anything can happen. It's a long way to Delhi."
-Dr. Jones
(His professional name)

Jones Disciple

I think this story is hogwash but as I was considering the location I realized they could tie the plot of the film into the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis. That would get the Soviets involved along with the Cubans. Although it would be completely inaccurate historically they could suggest that a big part of the crisis was the discovery of Atlantis (before or during the crisis) and that the Soviets and Americans were rushing to get control of the area. By the end of the film, and in keeping with Indy tradition, the city is lost again before anyone can claim it and use its power.

Indy's brother

Yeah, at the top of musicroom's page it says "Got a story? Submit it now!" and the article doesn't even show an author's name. Could be anybody. The person who wrote it is most likely laughing their ass off right now.

*sigh* You never can tell, though. A lot of rumors were flying around about KOTCS before it's casting, for example. Some panned out, some didn't. There's always the minute possibility that there is a grain of truth to this....after all, Mitchell says some of this actually coincides with whatever it is he knows. So we'll just have to wait in the dark until it gets officially confirmed or debunked. Great, huh? This is possibly worse than hearing nothing at all. Wouldn't be so gut-wrenching if it wasn't the only positive thing we've heard in 3 months to cling to:

March 3, 2010
Ford [translated]: "If it's not 18 years previously required. Sure, I'd love to shoot another part. Maybe even two!"

Last edited:

Johnny Nys

I'm certainly not against two more movies, but I do hope they don't do a back-to-back thing with one continuous story as with "The Matrix" and "Pirates".

Bermuda Triangle has been used in plenty of movies already, but I guess it depends on the angle you give it. Re-using Atlantis? Not against that, either, but I'd certainly prefer a more original concept.

A portal. A wormhole. A temporal gateway. A center of the world/existence kind of thing, like a navel with the portal as an umbilical cord leading ...? Don't know whether I like time travel. Simply teleportation then to a far-away destination? Or to a parallel universe?

It just sounds like something a lot of people have already theorized over, and actually creating something visible will give it some kind of "truth" which will most likely not fit with everyone's ideas about the subject. I prefer the "left unexplained" variety, but I don't think you can do that with the Bermuda Triangle because showing its effects is already part of explaining it - not so much why it's there but at least what it really does.

Also, what value does the "no CGI" thing really have? Didn't they say they were going to make Skull old-school as well?

Montana Smith

Johnny Nys said:
I'm certainly not against two more movies, but I do hope they don't do a back-to-back thing with one continuous story as with "The Matrix" and "Pirates".

If there are two more, I think the only way would be to do them as one longer story back-to-back. That's just down to the timescale factor.

Johnny Nys said:
A portal. A wormhole. A temporal gateway. A center of the world/existence kind of thing, like a navel with the portal as an umbilical cord leading ...? Don't know whether I like time travel. Simply teleportation then to a far-away destination? Or to a parallel universe?

Or like the Hollow Earth theory, or a homage to that old Undersea Kingdom pulp serial (the hilarious one with Crash Corrigan vs. the carboard robots, cardboard tanks and soldiers in rubber swimming caps).

Johnny Nys said:
Also, what value does the "no CGI" thing really have? Didn't they say they were going to make Skull old-school as well?

That's one of the oddest parts of the statement: how will they accomplish the effects of the Bermuda Triangle and the likely reveal of Atlantis convincingly for a modern audience, without CGI?

CGI has it's place in movies, as long as it's the last resort in order to present a convincing scene.

Silvor

If this is true I'm extremely excited, an emotional finish to Indy's Journey's sounds awesome. But seeing as Lucas has said he's only working on Indy 5 in theory now this rumor sounds a little strange.
And it hasn't spread much around the net yet either.

As for the cgi, how will they show us an amazing reveal of the triangle without it. As long as it's not fake looking it's fine by me.

Darth Vile

Jones Disciple said:
I think this story is hogwash but as I was considering the location I realized they could tie the plot of the film into the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis. That would get the Soviets involved along with the Cubans. Although it would be completely inaccurate historically they could suggest that a big part of the crisis was the discovery of Atlantis (before or during the crisis) and that the Soviets and Americans were rushing to get control of the area. By the end of the film, and in keeping with Indy tradition, the city is lost again before anyone can claim it and use its power.
#

That's a great idea. I don't particularly like the idea of an Indy movie set in the 60's, but nonetheless, it's a great way of merging a ficticous adventure with historical events. :)

JP Jones

Silvor said:
Lucas has said he's only working on Indy 5 in theory
As for George, he won't go out and tell everyone that he's working on a script and it's almost done. Then things get leeked and the movie is ruined in his eyes. He's working on it period. We don't know how far he is on it, but Indy 5 is starting to take place believe it or not.

Can't wait to see him pass by in his green jet!

They also posted this story:

Harrison Ford has painted his six aircraft green because it?s his favourite colour.

?Harrison likes green ? even his helicopter matches,? a source explained. ?Green is fairly unusual for aircraft, so if you ever see a green CJ2 Sovereign Jet pass you by, you know it?s him!?

http://www.musicrooms.net/showbiz/8494-Harrison-Ford-Painted-All-His-Aircrafts-Green.html

Knowing Harrison the way I do, :)rolleyes: ) it's more likely so he can tell annoying enviromental activist troublemaking interviewers his Aircraft are green...

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Knowing Harrison the way I do, :)rolleyes: ) it's more likely so he can tell annoying enviromental activist troublemaking interviewers his Aircraft are green...

Would that be right after he gets himself waxed on camera just for fun?

Heh, but yeah, I suppose that Harrison getting all his aircraft painted green is how they avoid any CGI. They all just blend in...

Attila the Professor said:
Would that be right after he gets himself waxed on camera just for fun?

Heh, but yeah, I suppose that Harrison getting all his aircraft painted green is how they avoid any CGI. They all just blend in...
Maybe he's Wonder Woman in the new film and he's co-producing the invisible jet?

seasider

This latest rumor sounds bogus though it makes sense that Indy 5 is ever gonna happen, it has to happen very soon before Harrison Ford gets put in a retirement home. Spielberg will be a little busy in post production and promotion of 2 movies next year so I don't know he'll have time to shoot a movie but it's possible. Lucas hopefully will be done with his Red Tails movie by then. Ford should be done with Cowboys and Aliens and he doesn't appear to have any other movies lined up after that.

The Bermuda Triangle idea does sort of fit into the Sci-Fi realm that Lucas has been Indiana Jones in and it fits in the 1960's or late 50's era. The question then is what is the Macguffin he's looking for that would lead him there?