Raiders Novel Corgi / UK Cover

After a somewhat disingenuous transaction with Raven member "OldSchool" I came as close to empathizing with Indiana Jones as I could imagine...when he said: "I had it Marcus", I just never got it "in-hand". Thanks to the astounding generosity of another Raven member, it has now taken THE place of honor amongst my collection, (primarily print).

557497_453713284662657_1609569961_n.jpg

Thanks Montana for the picture, will post mine soon enough...

Besides the tacky/gaudy Romance Novel Cover(s) and the Title Page, (reverse side publication detail) the paperbacks are identical but most notable is this Corgi / UK exclusive was printed in the US.

More later, but my undying thanks to The Indiana Jones Archives own Junior Jones for the gift of gifts.

Is it THE first produced Indiana Jones merchandise apart from being the most unique / damned ugly?

More on the book soon...

Thanks again Junior - :hat:
The other threads by Mitch are pretty hard to find, so if you must merge, please include a decent/searchable title

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Yaaaaaayyyyyy! Welcome to our little Corgi book club.

I know you were a bit of disappoint when it slipped from your grasp but I felt that if anyone would care (perhaps privately caress and stroke) a copy with unalterated love it would be you!

Your thanks is beyond that of the gift but it has been my pleasure to see such genuine joy and glee for an item I bought at a newsagent over thirty years ago!

Stoo

Congrats, Rocket, and kudos to Generous Junior.:)

The painting is unique, for sure. I like the rendering of the tank with the men on top.

Crack that whip

It looks to me like the artist actually did a good job of producing likenesses from some reference material, but just didn't use actual production photography as reference - as though (s)he used some of the early Steranko production paintings and other concept art and whatnot for getting the general look of Indy's costume, and based everything else (including the facial likenesses of the characters) upon "generic," non-Raiders-specific models, historical photos, etc.

I wish I had this edition, though I do have other editions of the Raiders novelization.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Crack that whip said:
I wish I had this edition, though I do have other editions of the Raiders novelization.

Well, there is a few about...here's the sale figures from December 1981.

No-Title----------------------Type-------Author---------------Imprint--Price - Month-----Home--Export--Gross.
raidersbok.jpg

JuniorJones said:
Yaaaaaayyyyyy! Welcome to our little Corgi book club.

I know you were a bit of disappoint when it slipped from your grasp but I felt that if anyone would care (perhaps privately caress and stroke) a copy with unalterated love it would be you!

Your thanks is beyond that of the gift but it has been my pleasure to see such genuine joy and glee for an item I bought at a newsagent over thirty years ago!

Can't thank you enough...to me, an amazing gesture.:hat:
I won't admit to privately caressing and stroking the book, though I loving leaf through it and it is mounted on my hardcover Complete Making of...

Stoo said:
Congrats, Rocket, and kudos to Generous Junior.:)

The painting is unique, for sure. I like the rendering of the tank with the men on top.

Thanks, the cover is SO 1970's! I remember walking into the Post Office and sifting through the box of donated books (full of cheesy romance novels) and I would bet my last dollar they were both models who made the cover of a few other books.

"Marion" has that windswept hair and far-away look to the horizon pose that makes me laugh everytime I see it!

JuniorJones said:
Well, there is a few about...here's the sale figures from December 1981.

No-Title----------------------Type-------Author---------------Imprint--Price - Month-----Home--Export--Gross.
raidersbok.jpg
A "YARN", that's funny, but if you were to judge a book by its cover...

Nice research Junior...any chance you can find a review from Gene Siskel?;)

...and :hat:

Last edited:

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Thanks, the cover is SO 1970's! I remember walking into the Post Office and sifting through the box of donated books (full of cheesy romance novels) and I would bet my last dollar they were both models who made the cover of a few other books.

"Marion" has that windswept hair and far-away look to the horizon pose that makes me laugh everytime I see it!
Harlequin romance novels from the late '70s/early '80s certainly come to mind. Check out the face of the guy from, "The River Lord":

9780373022076.jpg

000323.jpg

1398908.jpg

8487756.jpg

russds

JuniorJones said:
No chance at all...

PAT2z.jpg

PAT12.jpg

:hat:

Thanks for sharing these. So fun to read what people wrote about Raiders back when it first came out. Funny how he explains "Harrison Ford...who played Han Solo in Star Wars", probably indicating he wasn't the huge star he is now. Great vintage article, fun to read, thanks for sharing!

Stoo said:
Harlequin romance novels from the late '70s/early '80s certainly come to mind. Check out the face of the guy from, "The River Lord":
Re-issue Covers for the Fifty Shades of Grey set!

Impressive selection, all aquatic (wet) and primitive (wild)...

You got Henry's seagulls and Indy's shirt...and Marion's yearning! :sick: :p

russds said:
Great vintage article, fun to read, thanks for sharing!
Agreed!:hat:

Now, bet you can't find his Crystal Skull review!

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Re-issue Covers for the Fifty Shades of Grey set!

Impressive selection, all aquatic (wet) and primitive (wild)...

You got Henry's seagulls and Indy's shirt...and Marion's yearning! :sick: :p

Agreed!:hat:

Now, bet you can't find his Crystal Skull review!

No problem. I have a few copies off Heaven Times...

JuniorJones said:
No problem. I have a few copies off Heaven Times...
Ah, you blew the Crystal Skull "haters" joke I was holding on to!

Gene Siskel was going to review Crystal Skull, but he took the easy way out!

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
After a somewhat disingenuous transaction with Raven member "OldSchool" I came as close to empathizing with Indiana Jones as I could imagine...when he said: "I had it Marcus", I just never got it "in-hand". Thanks to the astounding generosity of another Raven member, it has now taken THE place of honor amongst my collection, (primarily print).

557497_453713284662657_1609569961_n.jpg

Thanks Montana for the picture, will post mine soon enough...

Besides the tacky/gaudy Romance Novel Cover(s) and the Title Page, (reverse side publication detail) the paperbacks are identical but most notable is this Corgi / UK exclusive was printed in the US.

More later, but my undying thanks to The Indiana Jones Archives own Junior Jones for the gift of gifts.

Is it THE first produced Indiana Jones merchandise apart from being the most unique / damned ugly?

More on the book soon...

Thanks again Junior :hat:

I may have given you a gift of gift but your surprise is absolutely adorable and will go with me to the grave!! A tip of the hat to you my friend.:hat:

2012-09-11195643-1.jpg

Last edited:
JuniorJones said:
...and will go with me to the grave!!
2012-09-11195643-1.jpg

Its funny what people prize...I would have thought the other bits more valuable, but I happy you are vice versa or what have you.

I still owe Montana one...:eek:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Its funny what people prize...I would have thought the other bits more valuable, but I happy you are vice versa or what have you.

As with Indiana Jones in all the movies the prize was never really the artifact it was about finding something within one's self.

So for me the gift isn't just the badge, the gift is the friendship the badge signifies.

JuniorJones said:
As with Indiana Jones in all the movies the prize was never really the artifact it was about finding something within one's self.

So for me the gift isn't just the badge, the gift is the friendship the badge signifies.

You're bringing a tear to me glass eye Junior!