My own Adventure story!!!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
kongisking said:
I'm kind of having a dillema. Do you guys think Brad's main weapon (i.e. Indy's whip, Mutt's sword, Rick O'Connell's hundreds of guns :cool: , etc.) should be either a sword (my original choice) or a boomerang? I've recently become quite intrigued by boomerangs, and I think it would be a unique weapon for a story like this. Which is cooler? Sword or Boomerang? Whattaya guys think? :confused:

As soon as I hear boomerang I think....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EFuzGU1wXq8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EFuzGU1wXq8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mutt-Jones III

I'm not sure.

kongisking said:
I'm kind of having a dillema. Do you guys think Brad's main weapon (i.e. Indy's whip, Mutt's sword, Rick O'Connell's hundreds of guns :cool: , etc.) should be either a sword (my original choice) or a boomerang? I've recently become quite intrigued by boomerangs, and I think it would be a unique weapon for a story like this. Which is cooler? Sword or Boomerang? Whattaya guys think? :confused:

Be unique, use both, make it interesting.

If you need any help or anything, I hear I'm a good writer, but if this gets made into a film or anything you have my help if you need it, Private Message me and we'll discuss this. :whip:

muttjones

kongisking said:

so is this a very comical adventure or a serious one? Because a boomerang is quite silly as a main weapon

WillKill4Food

muttjones said:
so is this a very comical adventure or a serious one? Because a boomerang is quite silly as a main weapon
Yes, I agree.

Personally, I think that the best main weapon is no main weapon at all.
If you watch Indiana Jones, Indy's main weapon is not his whip.
He rarely uses it as a weapon; mostly he uses it as a way of swinging from something or disarming his enemies.
His weapons are his fists and anything that he can find to use against his enemies (see the mine fight in ToD for proof of this).
So, don't arm your character with anything except perhaps something like a whip.

For instance, perhaps Brad was once a criminal. Maybe that's why he's in Africa to begin with - he's running from the law. Or, maybe, he sucks at stealing so he's going to try to find his grampy's treasure and get rich, or whatever.
So, because he's a criminal, he carries a crowbar with him, out of habit.
And he uses the crowbar for swinging and hitting and throwing.

Of course, that's not a great concept, because I made it up off the top of my head.
But, put your mind to it and you'll figure out something similar.

muttjones

WillKill4Food said:
Yes, I agree.

He rarely uses it as a weapon; mostly he uses it as a way of swinging from something or disarming his enemies.
His weapons are his fists and anything that he can find to use against his enemies (see the mine fight in ToD for proof of this).
So, don't arm your character with anything except perhaps something like a whip.

couldnt agree more!!!

kongisking

WillKill4Food said:
Yes, I agree.

For instance, perhaps Brad was once a criminal. Maybe that's why he's in Africa to begin with - he's running from the law. Or, maybe, he sucks at stealing so he's going to try to find his grampy's treasure and get rich, or whatever.
So, because he's a criminal, he carries a crowbar with him, out of habit.
And he uses the crowbar for swinging and hitting and throwing.

Of course, that's not a great concept, because I made it up off the top of my head.
But, put your mind to it and you'll figure out something similar.

Hahaha! Funny you should say that, 'cause I actually had a draft where Brad is named "Nick Bounty" and he is an escaped fugitive from the law!!! And his arc through the story is him starting out as a selfish, womanizing bastard who eventually rediscovers his humanity and becomes a hero.

Great minds DO think alike!!! COOL!

I've decided to give Brad both weapons. A cool combo, methinks. :D Although the boomerang bit is analogous to how Indy uses 1) a whip, and 2) a pistol. Brad uses 1) a rapier, and 2) a boomerang. One for up-close-and-personal fighting, the other for keep-a-distance confrontations.

P.S. BTW, Mutt III, I'll gladly listen to your ideas! Call me up!

And WillKill, if you prefer the whole 'anti-hero' angle, I'd love to see this incorperated into your own take on Part II. I'm still willing to incorporate this arc in the tale.

kongisking

Violet Indy said:
As soon as I hear boomerang I think....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EFuzGU1wXq8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EFuzGU1wXq8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ah, yeah, I love that shot... :D :D :D

"I got it! I got it! I got it!"

SLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!! Owie!

Road Warrior is awesome. (y)

Actually, I could slip in a similar gag in my story! Thanks, Violet!!!

kongisking

muttjones said:

Think "The Mummy" or "The Last Crusade": an overall serious story but with a good helping of humor to keep the reader having a good time.

Col. Detritch

I know it's been a while since the last post by I thought your story was very interesting and wanted to let you know!

I was just thinking about the boomerang idea and though: what was Brad's purpose for it and how did he come to get it? Did he spend some time in Australia and grew fond of the native Aborigine weapon or is there some other back story ('cause you don't usually end up with a weapon like it!) And by purpose I mean how dose he use it, because I couldn't see it taking out any enemy's; not easily anyway!;)

One more thing, Rod, I think the premise of the character is great but, and this is just my opinion, I feel he would suite the weaker sikekick type profile better: like Marcus (LC) or Jonathan (The Mummy). Though it is a bit of a cliché, it works and lets our hero really step up to the plate action wise- then towards the end Rod could have a hero moment and fight back, further developing his character!:D

P.S. I am writing an Indesque adventure story/series like you and the main villain in one of them is named Brad: A Soviet scientist who is intreeged by the prospects of finding Excalibur and leading his country to victory; under his comand of course! (P.P.S. My story is a bit of a Cold War spy type thing (ala the original 007 novels) aswell as an Indesque adventure- in a way, kinda like KOTCS (Just if ya wanted to know!):hat:

kongisking

Ahh, the embarrassing memories this thread forces me to endure...

Haven't touched this thread in years, but I figured this would be a nice place to share a creative endeavor with you all that relates to the thread topic, and avoid making a whole new thread. Here's the deal:

I am part of a writing group in my local area of the Twin Cities in Minnesota, and we are now working on an anthology of speculative fiction short stories contributed by everyone in the group. The plan is to do an online publishing package, but we need the funds to do so. Thus, we've got our very own IndieGoGo fundraiser going.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/twin-cities-anthology/x/342863

I just thought this was as good a place as any to share this project. If anybody is curious to learn more, or even donate to our anthology, it would be very kind of you. And thanks for returning to this corpse of a thread!

On the page are brief blurbs about each story. Try to guess which is mine...;)

kongisking

The Drifter said:
Harry Hawkins?

Correct. Funnily enough, the original story I had in mind was about a celebrity giant Godzilla-like monster, but dang it all, I always jump at the chance to make an adventure story...