RKORadio

Hi
I'm new to the boards as a poster but I've been lurking for a while

I'm a girl though I often go as a boy online

I live in Australia

n528382004_840438_513.jpg

Finn

Staff member
Well, welcome then. Have to ask though, do you always, uhm... reveal this much of yourself in the first post you make to a new community?

I mean, as a member of the upkeep of this joint I have given plenty of reminders to people about proper behavior, language and things like that... but this is undeniably the first time I'm pondering whether I should issue one based on dress code.

But anyway, try to have a good time.

RKORadio

I go as a boy sometimes so i can avoid the negative things that can happen online - there are reasons that girls choose gender neutral names online and don't go to Local Area Network gaming nights.

I figured an Indy board wouldn't have those problems.

Montana Smith

RKORadio said:
I go as a boy sometimes so i can avoid the negative things that can happen online - there are reasons that girls choose gender neutral names online and don't go to Local Area Network gaming nights.

I think you'll be safe in your towel here at The Raven. Aussie Mod Auntie Violet will make sure you are. :)

RKORadio

Other places online have some pretty nasty people. People somehow think its OK to unleash their inner misogynist online. When I've used a female screen name online, I've been bombarded with r*pe threats and worse. In multiplayer games, I've had male players gang up to kill my game character - even if it hurts their chances of winning the game we're playing.

Montana Smith

RKORadio said:
Other places online have some pretty nasty people. People somehow think its OK to unleash their inner misogynist online. When I've used a female screen name online, I've been bombarded with r*pe threats and worse. In multiplayer games, I've had male players gang up to kill my game character - even if it hurts their chances of winning the game we're playing.

That's just so...wrong. :mad:

And something that couldn't happen here, as unlike some message boards, The Raven is moderated.

Not to say that we don't have our fights, but generally they're more in line with this kind of fight:

Asterix-huge-fight-crop.jpeg

:D

RKORadio

Thank you.
I'm thinking some people on here seem to be shocked that racism could still exist. It's depressing to me as I strongly support social justice.

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
You may just have encountered humour from the frozen north.
It's like a good martini - cold and dry.

RKORadio said:
Out of curiosity, what made you figure that?

And don't worry, you definitely haven't done anything wrong. It's just that I've made the same observation as you, the uneven male to female ratio especially on the websites with more geeky subjects can lead to some... unorthodox developments - so I was just surprised to see a picture like that.

Montana is right though, we do try to run a tight ship in here and keep any malcontents out. If you've noticed that already, then I guess you coming out of your shell is as flattering to us as it is to you.

Henry W Jones

RKORadio said:
Thank you.
I'm thinking some people on here seem to be shocked that racism could still exist. It's depressing to me as I strongly support social justice.

Welcome to The Raven!!!:D

Wrong thread :hat:

Welcome to The Raven, I may question and challenge your posts a bit hard in the other thread, but I am greatful for the contribution.:hat:

RKORadio said:
I hope you're not referring to me, because I think racism and descrimination will always be with us.

I just don't see the benefit of creating it where it doesn't exist.

It tends to deminish the cries when there really is a wolf attacking the sheep, or a dingo eating my baby, or a...:eek:

Any way I hope our conversation doesn't sour every thread we cross paths!:D

HenryJunior

Welcome to the Raven RKORadio!
The only trouble I would be worried about is clashing with someone's opinions, (beware the varying opinions of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull :D), other than that we are pretty calm community.

See you on the boards! :hat: