Batman Films

There's only a great Batman movie for me: Burton's Batman.
The two things that I appreciate most (excluding the cast and the interpretation , of course) are the powerful darkening musics, composed by Danny Elfman, the bat-technologies (including the marvelous Batmobile and the Batsuit) and, above all, the amazing architectures so gothic, so retro and so "dirty stilish" created by the genius of Anton Furst (in fact he won the Academy Award for Best Art Director and Best Set Decoration in Batman, shared with Peter Young).:)

HovitosKing said:
The only thing I don't like about Tim Burton's Batman 89 is the casting of Jack Nicholson as Joker. The character was cheesy, campy, and not the least bit menacing or frightening.

I don't like a damn thing about Burton's Batman, least of all Nicholson. And I think you pretty much summed up why I dislike it. I'll tell you, I love Jack Nicholson, and I had some fond memories of that Batman movie though I hadn't seen it in like 10+ years. I picked it up a few months ago and was positively appalled by every last detail of it. I find, though, as I get older, I think less and less of Tim Burton. For me his only two great works are Ed Wood and Vincent.

I just pulled Batman: Mask of Phantasm out of the closet. Gonna dust off this old VHS and give it a shot here...

Dr.Sartorius said:
Without Tim Burton's Batman there'd be no Batman Begins.

Baseless I dare say. Burton's was a poorly plotted, poorly cast, and poorly paced mess. Not to mention Burton's Batman is of an entirely different tone than Batman Begins. Begins isn't without flaws of it's own, but Bale is the definitive on-screen Batman in my opinion.

...though having just finished Phantasm, that was pretty fantastic as well. The Animated Series always had the formula down perfectly... Phantasm was a wonderful big-screen companion piece to that fine series. Surprisingly dark and mature.

Eric Solo

George Lucas went to the premiere of Batman in 89 and and interviewer asked "What did you think?" George said, "I liked the Batmobile."

"Burton's Batman"
... HAD to be crap, given that he knew NOTHING about the comics at all... and refused to even look at them while making his movie.

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
"Keaton's Batman was dark, brooding, enigmatic and perhaps a little psychotic."
Keaton's "Batman" (And I use the term loosely) was the guy from "Clean And Sober" in a rubber suit... There was nothing dark, brooding, enigmatic or even remotely psychotic about him.

So you're saying your ability to believe Keaton in that film was tainted by previous roles? Thats not his fault.

I remember seeing David Schwimmer playing a hardass soldier in Band of Brothers, and couldn't take him seriously because he was Ross from Friends. Thats my problem, not his. I'm sure I would have liked him in the role had my vision of him not been so tainted.

"This is from Desperate Measures (1996)."
What is? And besides, 96 was 7 YEARS after Batman....

The photo I attached.

"How is Burton's original Batman movie campy?"
Start... to finish...

Its definitely not camp. Its grounded in a comic book world, but not camp.

"your ability to believe Keaton in that film was tainted by previous roles?"
Nope.... My inability to buy Keaton in that film was the fact that he didn't suit the role at all. He had NONE of the physicality Batman requires. He couldn't move. He couldn't fight. Nothing he did worked. If he was Batman, he was Batman with his hands and feet tied together, his mouth taped shut and his eyes swollen closed...

"The photo I attached."
I see no photo....

"Its grounded in a comic book world"
No it's not.... Tim Burton said "I've never read a Batman Comic, and I never will!" That's the beginning of his faults... So what he gave us was more Tim Burton "Beetlejuice" junk.... Not Batman at all.

(I'm not dissing Beetlejuice... it's the best thing Tim Burton ever did.... but everything after that is just a pale shadow of a copy of it, and so, too derivative and dull)

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
"your ability to believe Keaton in that film was tainted by previous roles?"
Nope.... My inability to buy Keaton in that film was the fact that he didn't suit the role at all. He had NONE of the physicality Batman requires. He couldn't move. He couldn't fight. Nothing he did worked. If he was Batman, he was Batman with his hands and feet tied together, his mouth taped shut and his eyes swollen closed...

If you're referring to the fights being slow and stilted, thats down to the choreographer, not Keaton.

Whatever about the physicality, his voice and his eyes worked. I still think Bale was too big in Batman Begins.

ClintonHammond said:
"The photo I attached."
I see no photo....

Blast. Sorry about that. Here's the link anyway:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0118966/Ss/0118966/9.html?path=gallery&path_key=0118966

ClintonHammond said:
"Its grounded in a comic book world"
No it's not.... Tim Burton said "I've never read a Batman Comic, and I never will!" That's the beginning of his faults... So what he gave us was more Tim Burton "Beetlejuice" junk.... Not Batman at all

I didn't mean it was grounded in the universe of the Batman comics, I meant it was generally comic book-ish.

"I meant it was generally comic book-ish."
It was generally lame and sad. Tim Burtons "Batman" was an affront to the history of Batman that came before it, and I thank PASTA that Batman Begins came along and washed the taste of Burton's film away....

Desperate Measures pic... Ya... o.k.. now show me any evidence he looked like that in Batman.... It was the moulded rubber suit that was 'cut', not Keaton.

"thats down to the choreographer, not Keaton."
The choreographer was forced to slow Batman down because he had an actor that could hardly pull off even the most basic of fight moves.

"Bale was too big in Batman Begins."
He looks a hell of a lot more like "The Man Who's In The Best Shape A Man Can Be" than Keaton ever did....

Eric Solo

If a movie gets good reviews, makes a lot of money, gets an academy award, and I like it.... It's good. Or at least not crap.