The Grand Budapest Hotel

Le Saboteur

Wes Anderson is back. This time around he's eschewing summer camp for Europe in the '20's, and he's bringing the usually imperious Ralph Fiennes along for the ride!

grand-budapest-hed.jpg

Fiennes heads up an ensemble cast as Gustave H., the head concierge at the fabled Grand Budapest Hotel. Newcomer Tony Revolori barnstorms his way through the film as Gustave's Junior Lobby Boy in Training. Together they try to elude police, protect a priceless Renaissance painting, and learn valuable life lessons.

<iframe width="680" height="380" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1Fg5iWmQjwk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's an air of the madcap about it, with a touch of the Brothers Bloom and The Pink Panther. It just might end up being the first of Mr. Anderson's flicks I genuinely enjoy.

Did that cast of characters go by too quickly? If so, The Hollywood Reporter has you covered.

Dr. Gonzo

The most interesting aspect to me is that it was shot on 4:3 (1.33:1) aspect ratio...

Quite the novelty especially NOW.

As usual I'll be seeing this at the Cinerama dome when it opens. :hat:
(although with a 4:3 ratio, it's really kind of contradictory to see it on the cinearama dome's screen)

Also Defoe just always makes me laugh in Anderson's film... (that look after he punched the kid) hahaha!

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Europe in the '20's
As you know, we've each stayed at the Grand in Budapest before. My trip was in 2007 and this hotel quite possibly tops the list as the most luxurious of all that I've been to. Perfect setting for the '20s!

Unfortunately, it appears that the actual hotel is not being used in the movie. The lobby in the trailer is different and, from the brief bits I've read, it's being filmed in Berlin?!?:confused:

The swimming pool was particularly memorable:

Grand_Hotel_Royal_Budapest_16.jpg

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
As you know, we've each stayed at the Grand in Budapest before. My trip was in 2007 and this hotel quite possibly tops the list as the most luxurious of all that I've been to. Perfect setting for the '20s!

I had forgotten all about that conversation until you mentioned it! While I can't say that it tops my list, it's positively majestic. The rest of you would do yourself a solid by staying at least a night if given the chance.

Stoo said:
The swimming pool was particularly memorable.

Yes, yes it is. For me though, the honor of best thermal bath/pool goes to the Hotel Gellert. Now if only they would give the rest of the hotel an update/makeover it'd be great; it still looks... tired.

You've just given me the idea for another thread.

3068276466_e4440d9542_z.jpg

Stoo said:
Unfortunately, it appears that the actual hotel is not being used in the movie. The lobby in the trailer is different and, from the brief bits I've read, it's being filmed in Berlin?!?:confused:

I must confess that I was mildly disappointed when I saw that it wasn't actually The Grand. Still, I think it's for the best. I'd prefer something more serious to be set there. For practical purposes though, I think the infrastructure for a large production is already in place in Gorlitz. Several large Hollywood productions have shot there over the past decade or so including Inglorious Basterds and Around the Worlds in Eighty Days.

Watching the trailer again, there's something Germanic about the police uniforms and a lot of the signage is in German.

roundshort

Wow - saw the movie in my local one screen theather The Cameo in St. Helena. Which has had several top tier remodels done recently. While it still has the bones of an old theather the tech stuff is TOP TIER and this move needs it!

Forget how great the story, acting, humor etc is the movie is just beautiful to watch.

The Darjeeling Limited is still my favorite this one could top the list with a few more viewings. Wes really seems to have found a great balance with all the things the make his movies great. Two thumbs WAY up!

kongisking

roundshort said:
Wes really seems to have found a great balance with all the things the make his movies great. Two thumbs WAY up!

So, is this in nationwide release now, or only select theaters? I've been wanting to see it for a while now, but all the ones in my area never seem to be playing it.

I refuse to fall to the Dark Side and just Google it... :p

jsarino

I can't wait to see this one too. :) In my area, Anderson's films are usually in our specialty movie houses. One of them, The Tivoli, is just a block down from my work. I should take a really long lunch and watch it. Though my wife, who is also an Anderson fan, would kick my butt. :p

Joe Brody

kongisking said:
So, is this in nationwide release now, or only select theaters?

I think it's still only select. I had to go to NYC to see it opening weekend. Second Roundshort's assessment.

Though not on Darjeeling. Not enough LOL Anderson moments in that one and only 2 of the 3 brother performances pay off and Huston is downright creepy.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Though not on Darjeeling. Not enough LOL Anderson moments in that one and only 2 of the 3 brother performances pay off and Huston is downright creepy.

Compared to Grifters she is mother of the year in this one. . . For me dollar for dollar more LOL moments than any other W.A. movie. "hands up" I can never hear the word soup without thinking of this