The BFG

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The 1982 Roald Dahl novel turned Spielberg film opens in one month, and will be bigger than Avatar: "It will set a record for an original non sequel film. Just wait."

(Sorry some TLAs - three letter acronyms - and words aren't searchable right now. I have to add them like I did "ark" years ago.)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Moedred said:
will be bigger than Avatar: "It will set a record for an original non sequel film. Just wait."

I know I'm the current resident snark, but when 99% of the films out of Hollywood are sequels, this isn't a hard accomplishment. :whip:

Duaner

I'm looking forward to seeing this one. My favorite director of all-time adapting a book by one of my favorite authors as a child. It's a winning mix!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Select future release dates that could yield more Indy quotes from Spielberg... keep an ear out, native speakers!

Spain - 8 July 2016
France - 20 July 2016
Germany - 21 July 2016
UK - 22 July 2016
Ireland - 22 July 2016
Brazil - 28 July 2016
Japan - 17 September 2016

Joe Brody

Creepy Giant = Box Office Bomb

The family film bombed in its North American debut over the July Fourth weekend.
Steven Spielberg and Disney's big-budget The BFG ? short for the Big Friendly Giant ? could go down as a Big Failed Gamble.

At least, that is the case in North America, where it debuted to a dismal $19.6 million over the three-day Fourth of July weekend, only enough for a fourth-place finish. For the four-day holiday weekend, BFG is projected to gross $22.5 million-$23.5 million, a paltry number considering the movie's $140 million budget and the high-profile holiday corridor.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-steven-spielbergs-bfg-908223

Pale Horse

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Moedred said:
will be bigger than Avatar: "It will set a record for an original non sequel film. Just wait."
I know I'm the current resident snark, but when 99% of the films out of Hollywood are sequels, this isn't a hard accomplishment. :whip:

Joe Brody said:
The family film bombed in its North American debut over the July Fourth weekend.
Steven Spielberg and Disney's big-budget The BFG — short for the Big Friendly Giant — could go down as a Big Failed Gamble.

At least, that is the case in North America, where it debuted to a dismal $19.6 million over the three-day Fourth of July weekend, only enough for a fourth-place finish. For the four-day holiday weekend, BFG is projected to gross $22.5 million-$23.5 million, a paltry number considering the movie's $140 million budget and the high-profile holiday corridor.

Once again, I need to eat crow.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Credit Disney for failing big: Mars Needs Moms, John Carter, The Lone Ranger, The Good Dinosaur, Tomorrowland, The Finest Hours. BFG is kind of a surprise addition to that list. But that's how the business works, you're covered if Spielberg and Matheson can't make it work like last time. More press:
Melissa was very patient and very spiritual, and she kept saying, “Now, Steve, you know that this isn’t one of your Indiana Jones movies. You should just relax because this is going to be one of those stories where the pauses are just important as the words I’ve written and the words Dahl has written.
...and a GMA appearance.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/bfg-steven-spielberg-good-fortune-finding-ruby-barnhill-40176385
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...g-good-fortune-finding-pint/story?id=40174318

Finn

Staff member
WilliamBoyd8 said:
I wonder if some parents thought that the title "BFG" was "Big F..." and not a film for kids.
Whenever I see that acronym, I start thinking I've spent too much time on TVTropes.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Very good, though not the usual loud chaotic summer film. Set in 1982 like the novel and E.T. Had it released during the holidays like Hobbit 3 and Fantastic Beasts 1, I suspect would have fared much better.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The Iron Giant and Jack the Giant Slayer also bombed despite fine directors. Now with hindsight it seems giant movies are the new Mars movies (The Martian broke the losing streak). Disney's Mission to Mars had a giant Martian, which was worth a try.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Damn the grosses, live action James and the Giant Peach up next!

Recall the giant peach was accidental, the old man was trying to turn a hungry orphan into a giant. To eat other giants? Then the peach rolls through a chocolate factory. Even without a Gremlin preboot (Disney or WB?), the Dahlverse is strong.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Disney's Gigantic (from the unofficial adjective trilogy, Tangled, Frozen...) postponed indefinitely. Maybe giants just don't fit on the screen like cute lil' profitable characters.