What artifact would you want to find?

Raiders of Clay

The Ark of the Covenant has always fasinated me. I do believe it is still lost, and if you where the person to find that it would go down in history as one of the greatest discovery in history. I would also like to find Noah's Ark.

ValenciaGrail

Raiders of Clay said:
The Ark of the Covenant has always fasinated me. I do believe it is still lost, and if you where the person to find that it would go down in history as one of the greatest discovery in history. I would also like to find Noah's Ark.

IMO, the Ark is likely in Axum, Ethiopia. I'm not positive, but I'd say I'm 75% convinced.
Read The Sign and the Seal by Graham Hancock.
If you ignore the very hokey Chapter 4, in which Hancock speculates on the ancient technology involved in the Ark (Atlantian origins / Radioactivty explaining it's powers, etc.....), he makes a very compelling historical case for the object in St. Mary's Orthodox Church at Axum being THE true Ark.

There are a few historical gaps in his research, but nothing which is a deal-killer IMO.

Here are the basics:

http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/2007/09/is-ark-in-axum-ethiopia.html

WillKill4Food

ValenciaGrail said:
Whatever.
The Grail doesn't exist.
Sure, Jesus drank out of a cup at the Last Supper, and it's possible that someone caught some of His blood at the Crucifixion, but no one kept those artifacts, and, if they aren't already decomposed, then they're lost to history.
This is the true story of the Holy Grail: Ancient Celts believed in stories about kings and magic cauldrons. Then the Romans (who were, by now, Christians) converted the Celts and, thus, they eventually converted their stories. So, instead of a brute looking for a witch's cauldron, the story of King Arthur changed into a tale about a virtuous leader looking for the Holy Grail.

If it were me, I'd rather find the Ark of the Covenant, or the real Spear that stabbed Jesus.

Belloq

Ummm hands down the Dinosaur Eggs in the esteemed novel "Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs" by Max McCoy

ooooor maybe the "Philosophers Stone"

Aino

Lets see....

I would like to find... hmmm well depends... If this is very general and not limited in anyway to ancient culture or area of the world and not limited to artificats exactly and more defined as archeaology mysteries we would like to solve as well as artifacts.....

Atlantis
Shangrila
decode Linear A (seems to be a form of ancient greek in the sense that it comes from a society before ancient greece that ultimately seems to have developed into ancient greece to make it over simple.) We already read linear B just fine.
Decode written language of the nubians that does seem to be somewhat based on that of the ancient egyptians though we can read a few names and stuffs over all we are completely illiterate in those 2 ancient languages.
Decode Bon, found in Tibet.... I would like to uncover what was left behind in writing.
Then on to i dunno, maybe evolution.
I wanna uncover more hobbits and info about them they are interesting....
Ahh and i would also like to uncover the truth about neanderthals and how they met their demise as not enough evidence exists to say definitively how they ultimately died off. Though, the most accepted theory is that they were out competed and out bred. i personally have several theories of my own, including, we ate them. I mean we even eat rocks. (salt) and we have been known on sick occasion to eat eachother so it seems to me perhaps we ate them? Or maybe they were beamed back to the Klingon homeworld??? (ok i am just being silly with those.) It would be nice to know though for sure what happened to them....
Also the brains of those sickophant christians into that nonsense intelligent design crap. We will have to dig to the lowest levels of strata to find those brains.... And even then, they will likely be smaller than those belonging to modern humans. Also, it seems likely that there will be some sort of severe atrophy of the frontal lobe to be soooo religious requires a massive lack of common sense.
I would like to uncover evidence supporting that the venus figurines are infact objects of religion and more evidence of female domination. (Women who seek to be equal to men after all, lack ambition.)
I would like to dig down to a much lower level of strata in the USA all over the place and just look for evidence of earlier humans than clovis and to be able to evaluate the theory of the solutreans for myself.
But most importantly, in the name of my husband's finnish sizu, i would like to find the sampo.
And those are just a few things that interest me.

Aino

existance of the grail

I dunno... I dunno if it exists or doesn't but they also said Troy didn't exist and ummm not only did Troy exist it existed *9* times or something...

However, the existance of Jesus is a bit dubious.... I would like to have alot more evidence that he existed. Otherwise, i think we need to sacrifice all american fringe christian lunies for the good of the sanity of the rest of us.

There is sooo much archaeology beyond that related to that book of nonsense. It saddens me to the core of my being that all i see here for the most part is discussion of christian artifacts.

Saber79

Being a fan of the Arthurian legend...I was always fascinated with Excalibur.

Finding the sword of perhaps the greatest and most famous (if not flawed) king the world has ever seen, whether it be resting in Avalon with Arthur or at the bottom of some Loch in the UK, I think that would be absolutely incredible.

Not only would it prove the Arthurian legend for the most part true at some point, but it may give some credence to other legends that Arthur and Excalibur are associated with...

Trennas

or the Helmet of Hades, which makes the wearer invisible.. I could think of many ways that could be helpful.. mostly.. evil ways though :p

ProfessorChaos

Either the Lamp of Aladdin or the Ring of Solomon would be cool finds.
Especially since both come with powerful Djinn, and Djinn can grant wishes.
After all, I've got some wishes I'd like to see come true. ;)

Indy Byrd

I would like to find a unopened tomb in Egypt like Dr.Howard Carter did with King Tutankhamun's tomb in 1922, (but I would be in Indy gear of course). I think that would be a thrill of a lifetime and everything inside would belong in a museum!! Considering the length of Egypt's dynasties, we can't have discovered all the tombs of the pharaohs.

Or I would like to discover another container of The Dead Sea scrolls. Those things always fascinated me.

There are several others but that would definately qualify but I don't want to bore everyone.