Tsotsi

Abe Vayoda

Anyone seen this film? It's an african about a hopeless teen seeks to redeem himself after an unexpected turn.

I saw this as a part of a film appreciation course this semester. I suppose it's well-shot and the story is good enough, but I just didn't like it. Actually, I don't know how I feel about the movie. I know how the professor wants me to feel, but I don't like the characters or the story much. I understand its importance, and it wants to awaken people to the some of the problems in africa, but I wasn't comfortable watching it (which was the point, I guess).

Anyway, for those of you who have seen it, what did you think?

Abe Vayoda

temple of john said:
I can only assume that you must have one of those ultra-liberal, hippie types as your professor.

Uh... isn't that how they ALL are? Never had a normal or moderate professor.

Gustav

temple of john said:
I can only assume that you must have one of those ultra-liberal, hippie types as your professor.

Those people make me insane with fury. They try to be so manipulative by seeming like they want you to think for yourself, but they are really laying down bread crumbs leading to their way of thinking the whole time. While the opposite side of the spectrum is one step down from putting a gun to your head (and in some cases they take that extra step).

Anyway, as I remember it Tsotsi was at least nominated for the best foreign film academy award, but I haven't seen it yet. I remember thinking Oldboy should have been nominated, which I do recommend. I guess it's a Korean action flick but the fighting isn't martial arts, it's more down and dirty.

Abe Vayoda

(kinda on topic)

Tonight my Motion Picture class watched "Amelie"
I know Jay PM'ed me about this one, wondered if anyone else had seen this flick...
I guess it was fine, and I enjoyed it. Need to see the other directors Jay mentioned.

I forget the girls name, but Amelie was kinda hot. However, I was more interested in the old man character than any of the others. I'd liked the movie to have spent more time with him.

LovelyLionTamer

I did happen to see Tsotsi. I didn't think much of it, really. It definitely wasn't the best movie I have ever seen, but it wasn't horrible. I did not like the character. They tried to make him seem like a victim, even when he had done horrible things such as murder. I understood that he had a poor childhood, but that still doesn't condone murdering people. I did like the African woman who took care of the baby for him; she was the only interesting character. Overall, I thought that this movie was just OK.