Jack Ryan sequel with Ford?

deckard24

I just saw this on C.H.U.D. com. If anything it's a good rumor! Personally I'd love to see Ford play Ryan again, as well as investing some time in some other roles that will stretch his acting muscles. How cool would it be if he got a real dark role again, like Allie Fox in The Mosquito Coast?! Hopefully Crossing Over will just be the start!!(y)
http://chud.com/articles/articles/1...HILST-DISCUSSING-JACK-RYAN-REVIVAL/Page1.html

Here's some other articles!
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/More-On-Harrison-Ford-s-Return-To-Jack-Ryan-8934.html
http://www.khsltv.com/entertainment/story.aspx?content_id=c8dbb9c9-ee98-493c-9dbe-8699f4fad707

Last edited:

Michael24

Nothing against Ben Affleck, but while watching Patriot Games on cable the other night, it made me really want to see another Jack Ryan movie with Harrison Ford. I hope it happens. (y)

deckard24

Michael24 said:
Nothing against Ben Affleck, but while watching Patriot Games on cable the other night, it made me really want to see another Jack Ryan movie with Harrison Ford. I hope it happens. (y)
I caught a few minutes of it on cable too, as well as Clear and Present Danger, and it had me jonesing for another Ford/Ryan film. Affleck gets a lot of flak, but he wasn't the worst thing about The Sum of All Fears, the screenplay was. Still at the end of the day, he's no Ford by any means! For that reason, I could never see someone take over for Ford if an Indy remake ever happened! The man just absolutely owns the roles he's had, and his shoes are just too big to be filled!

Crusade>Raiders

Sum of All Fears really disappointed me, especially after the classic Patriot Games and Hunt for Red October. Haven't seen Clear and Present Danger, but I know Ford is Ryan in that one too.

deckard24

Crusade>Raiders said:
Sum of All Fears really disappointed me, especially after the classic Patriot Games and Hunt for Red October. Haven't seen Clear and Present Danger, but I know Ford is Ryan in that one too.
It's definitely not as exciting as Patriot Games, but then again I believe that was Tom Clancy's gripe with the film. He didn't like the casting of Ford, and he felt it was too much of an action film. If you've read any of his books you'll know they are long, slow, and filled with the most minute details. Patriot Games was the exception to the rule where the novels were concerned.

Katarn07

I'm down for this! I love Patriot Games. Clear and Present Danger was pretty cool too but for some reason I didn't enjoy it as much. I haven't seen Hunt for Red October or Sum of All Fears yet. I actually own Red October because I got it with the Ford ones for $10 in a "Jack Ryan Collection" set at Wal-Mart. I got it solely for Patriot Games.

Michael24

I haven't seen all of Sum of All Fears, but I've heard that on the commentary, Clancy introduces himself as "I'm Tom Clancy, author of the book the filmmakers ignored." LOL!!!

I also liked Clear and Present Danger. I saw it in the theater and was actually quite obsessed with it when it first came out on VHS. I watched it all the time. I need to rent Hunt For Red October again. I haven't seen it in its entirety probably since its original theatrical release. I've been tempted to pick up that 3-movie "Jack Ryan Collection" Katarn07 mentioned, but I kept getting the feeling that as soon as I did Paramount would announce "Special Editions" of them.

Indy Pendant

That must be why I had the urge to reread Executive Orders while doing my laundry today?

Hated, Hated, HATED "Clear and Present Danger." The movie. The book I can tolerate.

I've read every Jack Ryan-related book except The Hunt for Red October and can't imagine what book-role a 60-something-year-old Harrison Ford would play.

Indy_Chic

Well if the rumor is true then...WOO HOO!!!(y) I adored Harrison in Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger - those two Jack Ryan movies kick serious butt! I would love Ford to do another one!

Finn

Staff member
Clancy apparently used so many ghost writers that we'll likely be getting new titles from him well into the next decade.

Heh, who knows, maybe the man himself will now join their ranks and just keep on penning.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I never waded into Clancy's apostrophe (apostrypha?) books but think he hit his stride in the 90's. Like Michael Crichton, he was one of the great explainers of technical things and highly addictive.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Correspondence during release of his first book. From the third letter, quality time with Tom Clancy III:
(2/7/85)
Last night ... we men stayed home and watched "Raiders of the Lost Ark" on the VCR. T——— loves the part when the "big wok" chases Indy out of the cave/temple, carrying the "gold munky." Little things like this remind one of the really important things in life. Like getting the Lost Ark.

Montana Smith

Moedred said:
Correspondence during release of his first book. From the third letter, quality time with Tom Clancy III:

From the description it sounds as though Tom had one of his

Finn said:
ghost writers

watch the film on his behalf!

After getting hooked on the Rainbow Six PC game I read the novel Rainbow Six (1998), mainly because of the local connections.

I was hooked, and quickly worked my way through more of his Ryan and Clark novels, and for a while couldn't put them down:

The Hunt for Red October (1984)

Red Storm Rising (1986) (Cowritten with Larry Bond)

Patriot Games (1987)

The Cardinal of the Kremlin (1988)

Clear and Present Danger (1989)

The Sum of All Fears (1991)

Without Remorse (1993)

Debt of Honor (1994)

Executive Orders (1996)

After that I was all Clancy'd out and couldn't bring myself to continue with

The Bear and the Dragon (2000)

Red Rabbit (2002)

The Teeth of the Tiger (2003)

Think it was The Bear and the Dragon that Robert Lyndsay was reading in bed for a few episodes of the BBC sit-com, My Family!

I'd highly recommend those novels that I have read. Especially Without Remorse which follows John Clark/Kelly's back story, and reads like a Frank Castle (aka The Punisher) adventure. :gun:

I didn't even bother trying reading anything else, since I was suspicious of its provenance.

Finn

Staff member
I've also worked my way through his main continuity, a.k.a. the "Ryanverse". Solid reads, almost all of them. And even if I made a snarky comment towards ghost writers, I personally don't care how a story is born as long as it's good.

I don't know if it's due to having too many guys at work on one book or what, but the timeline seems to get mucked up a bit on the titles released post-2000. Enough references to the past are made to create an impression of the same continuity, but some dates (especially those of electoral terms of Ryan and his predecessors and successors) don't quite add up. Also, Jack Jr. appears to age a little too quickly. As if the series was semi-retconned with no obvious notion made about it.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Did some rearranging. Clear and Present Danger thread is here, Shadow Recruit thread is here.

Another Ford film was in the works long ago...
"Cardinal of the Kremlin" The Movie
7/4/97
I have the script, done by a husband-wife team, and done very well, I think, though some rewrites and changes are necessary because that is the way Hollywood does business. I am happy with it. Harrison Ford has suggested a few changes which will be examined and/or incorporated into ther shooting script. Ford and I met some weeks ago to discuss this. It was a Sunday. He joined me at a baseball game. He's a very nice gentleman, by the way. I cannot, of course, reveal the plot points, but the core plot is the same as in the book.
TC
As far as I understand the timeline, Ryan was president for 5 years (elected by write-in after all primary candidates killed in Capitol, then served one term), followed by Kealty for one term, beaten by Ryan.

Finn

Staff member
Moedred said:
As far as I understand the timeline, Ryan was president for 5 years (elected by write-in after all primary candidates killed in Capitol, then served one term), followed by Kealty for one term, beaten by Ryan.
Mm. But the dates given still don't add up. We do know that Ryan was President in 2000, since the Rainbow Six takes place during the Sydney Olympics. Because it's an election year and he stays in the office after that, the Capitol incident described in Debt of Honor and Executive Orders took place in 1998 or 1999.

This means Ryan left office following the 2004 election. However, in Dead or Alive, the date is given as 2010 - and yet Kealty is described to be in the middle of his first term, with Ryan planning to challenge him.

Now, Jack Jr. is around 10 years old when Ryan becomes president - however, in Teeth of the Tiger, which takes place in the late 2000s, he is in his late 20s. Now, it's noted somewhere that Ryan actually became president in 1996, which would make Junior's aging somewhat more plausible. But that'd mean Ryan served two terms already, and wouldn't be able to challenge Kealty in 2012 election. And of course, Kealty couldn't run either if he really became president after the 2004 election.

So yeah, it's just one big muck-up right there. No matter which way you look at it, the thing just doesn't make any kind of sense. There must have been a retcon somewhere - another thing that hints at it is the mention of 9/11 and the Afghanistan and Iraq wars in later books - all events that shouldn't by all intents and purposes have happened in the Ryanverse. What reason would Ryan have to go to Iraq for example, when Saddam was assassinated during the late 90s in Executive Orders? Also, 9/11 is described to have happened exactly as in real world and come us a complete surprise, a new form of act of terror no one could foresee, despite a jetliner pulling a kamikaze to the Capitol in Debt of Honor.

The only explanation to all this is that the novels published during the 2000s and forth have started a new, slightly reworked continuity. Too add to the confusion, this however didn't really stop Clancy (or his cohorts) to refer to certain events of the old, exactly as they happened back there. And even if you forget the old continuity, full-grown, adult Jack Jr. refers to being "a kid" in the White House in Dead or Alive, despite said events having happened no more than 8 to 10 years ago if the electoral terms are anything to go by. Possibly less.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I had it all worked out once, even with a grid of the Ryan kids' ages. Though Clancy himself on Usenet has cautioned against working too hard at it. Around 1997 during his divorce his command off the Ryanverse loosened somewhat, noticeable halfway through Rainbow Six. I mostly recommend the 5 non-Clark books from CAPD to EO. Haven't read past Teeth of the Tiger.

More about that late 90's Cardinal of the Kremlin movie we were denied, William Shatner was on board too! A Star Wars (Strategic Defense Initiative) movie with space lasers and Ford and Shatner could have been full of knowing references and cameos, if they could have restrained themselves. Edit: Screenplay was by Janet and Lee Batchler (Batman Forever, Pompeii).
William Shatner in a 1990s internet panel: "I'm working on my next Star Trek novel, and working with Harrison Ford on a new movie called The Cardinal of the Kremlin, based on the book by Tom Clancey."

Last edited: