Interstellar

jsarino

As the OP, you'd think I would've seen this film by now. But, I have not. :( My wife insists that I see Gone Girl with her (groan) first before Interstellar. So, hopefully I'll catch this in the next couple of weeks.

Grizzlor

Am looking to see it in IMAX, but Mr. Nolan needs to shorten his films. This one is also nearly 3 hours, which is really 90 minutes TOO long!

Udvarnoky

jsarino said:
As the OP, you'd think I would've seen this film by now. But, I have not. :( My wife insists that I see Gone Girl with her (groan) first before Interstellar. So, hopefully I'll catch this in the next couple of weeks.

You're in for a pleasant surprise with Gone Girl, especially if you don't mind the pulpy insanity it gleefully turns into.

jsarino

Udvarnoky said:
You're in for a pleasant surprise with Gone Girl, especially if you don't mind the pulpy insanity it gleefully turns into.

As long as it's interesting, I'll put up with seeing it. :)

Joe Brody

Udvarnoky said:

How does Gone Girl compare to Fincher's Girl With a Dragon Tattoo?

Genuinely curious. I dismissed Gone Girl because I watch the trailor's for the two back-to-back and was struck by the same look-and-feel.

Udvarnoky

Didn't see that one, but there does seem to be a recurring aesthetic in Fincher's latter-day work. I was reminded a lot of House of Cards, which Fincher established the look for as well.

Forbidden Eye

Dr. Gonzo said:
A few flaws aside... the film is a gorgeous ride and demands to be seen on real 70mm Imax film stock.

In a time of sequels and endless comic book movies, Interstellar is a nice breath of fresh air -- even if its not completely perfect.

I guess its now safe to talk about that Jonathan Nolan draft that was done when Spielberg was attached to direct (that some of us have read) -- It's clear the beginning and the end are pretty much the same as in the final film -- Chris came in and rewrote the middle into a less political/less characters/more locations piece... Which I thought worked better in the finished product as opposed to the Spielberg draft. So that's definitely good news -- since many times you see drafts that were better than the actual finished product.

but the one constant that was my favorite part of both the old script and the film: TARS who to the misfortune of the rest of the human cast is the most human character in the movie -- (with the exception of the scenes involving Cooper and Murph)

I didn't get too spoiler-y so I'll leave it at that for now, give folks some time to see it. But if anyone wants to discuss the triumphs and flaws of the film later, I'll be around to shoot the sh!t with you if you want...

Oh and by the way I'm not really a big Hans Zimmer fan but the epic booming organ music in this is just fantastic... at least it was my cup of tea anyway.

Haven't read the Spielberg draft you have, but I agree with you. Just when I thought I was starting to tire of Nolan, he impresses with this film. The first scene really felt like a Spielberg film. I did really like the story and that it embraced and emphasized on the need for space exploration, even if its science in later scenes can be debated.

And if you see this film, the only way to see it IS on the IMAX. The Hans Zimmer score you mentioned really made that moment a sort of spiritual, out-of-body moment.

Not sure if it'll hold up on repeat viewings, but it was definitely worth watching.

roundshort

Went and saw this with pretty high hopes. And it did not deliver at all. I hated the casting and no big surprises. Ann Hathaway is really horrible. At her age and looks she should just stick to being a Disney mom at this point.

With that being said - this type of movie is just not my cup of tea. But it was a movie with GREAT CGI - something I usually hate.

Z dweller

I am disappointed that Interstellar didn't get an Oscar nomination (although admittedly I haven't watched any of the movies which did, so there). :(

On the other hand, I am glad Hans Zimmer got a nomination for the soundtrack, as I thought it complemented the story perfectly.

I particularly liked Zimmer's choice for one of the most moving scenes, when Cooper watches 23 years of his son's life go by in minutes, due to the effects of gravitational time dilation.

Most composers would have gone for clichéd strings swells, while Hans chose a minimalist, haunting organ theme.

A fantastic choice, which I think underscores the emotional impact even more. (y)

jsarino

Funny that as the OP, you'd think I would've seen it by now. :p I finally saw it recently, and I enjoyed it. It may not have been perfect, but it did what I like in films such as this...it made me think about it long afterwards. It deserves a second look.

Grizzlor

Let me expound a little. I found the acting, suspense, effects (real and CGI), plot stakes, and flow were all great. It that Nolan mystery to it. My only issue was that it seemed like, despite it's typical Nolan run time, that certain scenes were rushed. This is something Nolan does a lot lately. He has too many things going on in the film.

jsarino

^^^So in other words, it should be a 4 hour film? ;) I hear ya, Nolan's films have alot of elements going on, and it seems like even in an over 2 hour movie, it feels all crammed in there.