American Sniper (A Real (Reel) American Hero)

Sea Monarch

Just left the theater a mere five hrs ago after watching this masterpiece. In a word ...Wow!!!

By all means I recommend seeing this movie as soon as possible. Although, be warned that despite there being more brutal war movies out there, this is not for the faint of heart. It is after all ...Rated R for a reason.

Went to see it with three friends, and we All thought it was rather amazing! Some of us were teary-eyed (myself included) by the end, and the majority of the audience left the theater with a somber and reverent silence, which I have not observed in a movie theater since attending The Passion of the Christ (although that one hit harder and had an even greater impact)!

Definitely one of Eastwood's best works, and easily Cooper's finest two hrs, thus far!

Trying not to hype it, because I know some will find a way to be disappointed
(or possibly find offense) but I think most people with a pulse, a heart, and an I.Q. greater than a lemon will be in suspense, emotionally moved and possibly even thankful.

Worth mentioning, it also had some good laughs and great action in all the right places. And it is impeccably acted.

I don't put much stock in the Oscars and who they usually choose to honor, but I do hope this gets the recognition it deserves.

Btw, the subtitle on the thread heading is mine (obviously).

Respect, honor and thanks go out to Chris Kyle and all who have served, and also to those who continue to serve and risk their lives to defend the United States as well as the innocents of other countries oppressed by tyranny! We salute you!

Duaner

I just saw it last night and completely agree with your thoughts. It may have been Clint Eastwood's best directed film (and he has done some good ones!) It was easily Bradley Cooper's best performance ever.

Just like you observed at your theater, mine was close to dead silent as everyone exited. That just does not occur that often. Clearly that says this film made an impact.

I have not watched the other Oscar nominees yet, so I cannot fairly call this the Best Picture yet, but right now it would have my vote, as would Bradley Cooper. Clint got snubbed in the Best Director category!

Sea Monarch

Pleased to hear someone else at The Raven appreciated it. I also agree with your observation that Eastwood got snubbed. I understand the more complex circumstances that cause it, but am still baffled at how some films get nominated for Oscars as Best Picture, yet somehow having the Director behind the vision be forgotten.

Only other nominee I've seen thus far is Budapest Hotel. While I am interested in seeing most of the others, the only one i can imagine even remotely trumping Sniper for me would maybe be The Imitation Game or Boyhood, but they would have to be more engaging and flawless, and I doubt they would have the same impact. Though they look pretty amazing as does much of the competition.

Kid you not, when I first saw Argo opening night, I said out loud to myself and others within earshot that I had just seen the winner for the upcoming Best Picture Oscar.

I will have to see the others to judge fairly, but so far I'm personally thinking Sniper and Cooper may deserve to win.

Forbidden Eye

Saw it on New Year's Eve. It was good. It wasn't one of my all-time favorites or anything, but it was a very well directed and well edited movie. It managed to make fairly recent history intense(even though I knew how this particular story ended).

The thing that impressed me most about the film though was Bradley Cooper's performance. Having seen a couple interviews of the real Chris Kyle before having seen the film, watching Cooper portray him was one of the few times I can legitimately say where I forgot I was watching an actor through-out the film and felt like I was watching the real Chris Kyle going through his life.