Jurassic World

Stoo

Moedred said:
Mentioned here? I hated that film so much (unaware of the new Touchstone banner) I avoided the Disney brand for the rest of the decade. People throw around the phrase "raped my childhood" but that film earns it.
TheFedora said:
No I can't name the movie that came out in the 80's...although I'll guess is it that is 'Baby secret of the Lost Legend'? I knew that without looking it up, about that cryptozoological sauropod in Africa right?
Correct, although considering there are only 2 movies from the whole decade to choose from, I guess it wasn't too hard to figure out!:) (Oh, and "that cryptozoological sauropod" is Mokele-Mbembe, by the way).
AndyLGR said:
I actually saw that movie back in the day in 3d :eek:
Same here…in Florida, summer of 1982…back when it was called "Jaws 3-D". That movie was terrible.(n)
TheFedora said:
The teaser eased my concerns somewhat, and I now have complete faith in this movie.
By 10 seconds of footage?:confused:
Pale Horse said:
We're one step away from Sharktopus and freeking lasers on their heads.
No kidding. Personally, I think this "hybrid" premise is a really dumb idea.(n)

Last edited:

TheFedora

I knew it was mokele Mombe, I just forgot how to spell it in that moment...but yes. I have faith in this movie, you see... about 40 seconds of the trailer were leaked on instagram the other day.

Someone mentioned Jaws?

The park has a huge mosasaur that literally eats Sharks for lunchtime. To a packed crowd.

Also, the hybrid thing I was iffy on for a long time. The fandom had known it before as 'Diabolicus Rex', or 'D-rex' for short. Then apparently leaks changed it to 'Indominus Rex' or 'I-rex' for short. Took me a while, but I think it could work.

The Jurassic World 'Viral Site' actually gives a pretty good explanation and backstory as to why they started experimenting with hybrids like this. It was that website that made me change my mind...it included a lot of good backstory for why the events in the film are happening, plus I heard the director hired true fans to write it and so as to have an official site that lines up with past Jurassic Park canon.

Last edited:

curmudgeon

Pale Horse said:
We're one step away from Sharktopus and freeking lasers on their heads.

They already said the hybrid wouldn't be some ridiculous thing with tentacles or a long snake head coming off of it.

It's more in the sense of the original film, where they used frog DNA to fill the gaps in the genetic sequence. That didn't result in tongue-shooting, bow-legged, leaping dinosaurs, did it?

AndyLGR

The bit that struck me as odd is when it looked like the Velociraptors were racing rather than chasing the lead character when they came out of the traps.

Its peaked my interest enough. I'll definitely give it a whirl.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
They created a sequel... out of spare parts! At the end there's a peek at Spielberg's motorcycle sequence, and the hunting raptors possibly named Achilles, Perseus, etc. Something about Pratt's expression suggests they may not be fully domesticated or tested. Tally ho!

cr_mega_564_foxhunt600.jpg

Forbidden Eye

As someone who thought they had their fill of Jurassic Park movies(Part 2 and 3 rather bored me) that teaser really perked my interest. The idea that they actually have created a successful and peaceful park around dinosaurs intrigued me, and while of course something had to "go terribly wrong", the idea of creating "a new species of dinosaur" is something original that the other three movies haven't tackled yet and has actually gotten me curious.

As far as Chris Pratt goes, based on that teaser alone, I'll admit he may be a lot closer to being an heir to Harrison Ford than I originally gave him credit for.

Wow...im in a complete nostalgia spiral! CGI dinosaurs in the daylight now look just as crappy as CGI dinosaurs in the daylight did in 1993! Oh, the memories!

TheFedora

featofstrength said:
Wow...im in a complete nostalgia spiral! CGI dinosaurs in the daylight now look just as crappy as CGI dinosaurs in the daylight did in 1993! Oh, the memories!

Please tell me you are joking/being facetious.

TheFedora said:
Please tell me you are joking/being facetious.

okay...not as crappy. But still crappy. Commonplace. Not a huge leap forward in special effects achievements, considering all the original has going for it is special effects achievements...and Jeff Goldblum's chest.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Filming wrapped 3 months ago and it releases in 7 months... it's safe to say they're still working on the effects. It's like 10 years ago when the Lost pilot episode trailer upset fans because the polar bear effect was little more than a tossed carnival prize. Keep this in mind when more practical effects from JJ Abrams debut, a full year before Star Wars 7 comes out.

320px-BearLaunchFreeze.jpg

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

TheFedora said:
I forgot to mention my FAVORITE part. The mutant dino is a hybrid of a T-rex, Raptor, Cuttlefish, and a snake. Oh, and it has Camouflage ability.

Of course it does.

Fred-Best-ripper-street-33857510-245-170.gif

You're welcome.

And they're colorblind to boot.

Otherwise, the trailer looks... okay. I'll check out the movie when it hits theatres, but I dunno. There's something about it I can't quite put my finger on.

Nature bats last, kids.

TheFedora

Pale Horse said:
Whose story is it? The trailer doesn't tell you, so it's emotionally void. meh...(n)

Well for me, the trailer seems like it would center around the kids to be the emotional center. That's just me though.

Moedred said:
Filming wrapped 3 months ago and it releases in 7 months... it's safe to say they're still working on the effects. It's like 10 years ago when the Lost pilot episode trailer upset fans because the polar bear effect was little more than a tossed carnival prize. Keep this in mind when more practical effects from JJ Abrams debut, a full year before Star Wars 7 comes out.

You're faith in Abrams is your weakness.
afd562c597df16854a8d8380041d25cc.jpeg

Just recently watched ROTS followed by ROTJ...those space battles...even a medium approach....it just ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:

Stoo

TheFedora said:
I knew it was mokele Mombe, I just forgot how to spell it in that moment...
Looks like you forgot again!:p Anyway, "Baby" is not the awful movie Moedred makes it out to be. It's a decent dino flick with plenty of action & violence so you might want to check it out. Funnily enough, the DVD packaging has a quote from the L.A. Daily News, "A cross between Raiders of the Lost Ark and E.T." which just about sums it up.

If you're interested, there's also a more recent Mokele-Mbembe movie, "The Dinosaur Project".

Anyway, scratch what I wrote earlier about nobody getting eaten in "Baby" because I watched it again and someone DOES indeed get munched on!:dead: So people getting chewed up in dino flicks has been par for the course since *almost* their very beginning.

TheFedora said:
...but yes. I have faith in this movie, you see... about 40 seconds of the trailer were leaked on instagram the other day.

Someone mentioned Jaws?

The park has a huge mosasaur that literally eats Sharks for lunchtime. To a packed crowd.

Also, the hybrid thing I was iffy on for a long time. The fandom had known it before as 'Diabolicus Rex', or 'D-rex' for short. Then apparently leaks changed it to 'Indominus Rex' or 'I-rex' for short. Took me a while, but I think it could work.

The Jurassic World 'Viral Site' actually gives a pretty good explanation and backstory as to why they started experimenting with hybrids like this. It was that website that made me change my mind...it included a lot of good backstory for why the events in the film are happening, plus I heard the director hired true fans to write it and so as to have an official site that lines up with past Jurassic Park canon.
Well, you did post a link to "the teaser" and soon after wrote that "the teaser" eased your concerns (not "the trailer"). Either way, you're basing your faith on less than 2 minutes of random clips. It's a good bet you felt the same way when seeing previews for the 3rd movie, y'know, the one that fills you with "pain & torture".

(Now, I would say: Compare this situation to the trailer for "Crystal Skull" VS. the actual movie but I've no idea what you think about it because you don't talk about Indiana Jones.:gun:)

As for that website you mention, hopefully the backstory will be fleshed out in the film because one shouldn't have to go elsewhere for an explanation.

LOVED the shark-eating clip! It reminds me of Sea World…once again, in Florida, summer of 1982…just like "Jaws 3-D". (A pattern is developing here.:eek:) Personally, I'm going to enjoy this movie no matter what.
curmedgeon said:
They already said the hybrid wouldn't be some ridiculous thing with tentacles or a long snake head coming off of it.

It's more in the sense of the original film, where they used frog DNA to fill the gaps in the genetic sequence. That didn't result in tongue-shooting, bow-legged, leaping dinosaurs, did it?
Not everyone has been following this movie under a microscope. Anyway, the cuttlefish DNA is probably only for the camouflage ability (as Le Saboteur already pointed out) but the physical appearance isn't why I think a hybrid is a dumb concept. Creating a species that never existed in prehistoric times doesn't seem like a sure-fire way to attract new visitors. I can think of something much better…
Forbidden Eye said:
As far as Chris Pratt goes, based on that teaser alone, I'll admit he may be a lot closer to being an heir to Harrison Ford than I originally gave him credit for.
The trailer is great showcase of him standing still.
AndyLGR said:
The bit that struck me as odd is when it looked like the Velociraptors were racing rather than chasing the lead character when they came out of the traps.
Indeed. They pass the motorbike and don't appear to be interested in eating the guy. It's as if they are all on the same team. Hero-Raptors to the rescue!

TheFedora

Stoo said:
Looks like you forgot again!:p Anyway, "Baby" is not the awful movie Moedred makes it out to be. It's a decent dino flick with plenty of action & violence so you might want to check it out. Funnily enough, the DVD packaging has a quote from the L.A. Daily News, "A cross between Raiders of the Lost Ark and E.T." which just about sums it up.

If you're interested, there's also a more recent Mokele-Mbembe movie, "The Dinosaur Project".

Anyway, scratch what I wrote earlier about nobody getting eaten in "Baby" because I watched it again and someone DOES indeed get munched on!:dead: So people getting chewed up in dino flicks has been par for the course since *almost* their very beginning.

Well, you did post a link to "the teaser" and soon after wrote that "the teaser" eased your concerns (not "the trailer"). Either way, you're basing your faith on less than 2 minutes of random clips. It's a good bet you felt the same way when seeing previews for the 3rd movie, y'know, the one that fills you with "pain & torture".

(Now, I would say: Compare this situation to the trailer for "Crystal Skull" VS. the actual movie but I've no idea what you think about it because you don't talk about Indiana Jones.:gun:)

As for that website you mention, hopefully the backstory will be fleshed out in the film because one shouldn't have to go elsewhere for an explanation.

LOVED the shark-eating clip! It reminds me of Sea World?once again, in Florida, summer of 1982?just like "Jaws 3-D". (A pattern is developing here.:eek:) Personally, I'm going to enjoy this movie no matter what.
Not everyone has been following this movie under a microscope. Anyway, the cuttlefish DNA is probably only for the camouflage ability (as Le Saboteur already pointed out) but the physical appearance isn't why I think a hybrid is a dumb concept. Creating a species that never existed in prehistoric times doesn't seem like a sure-fire way to attract new visitors. I can think of something much better?
The trailer is great showcase of him standing still.
Indeed. They pass the motorbike and don't appear to be interested in eating the guy. It's as if they are all on the same team. Hero-Raptors to the rescue!

Yeah, I heard about the dinosaur project. Got terrible reviews all around from dinosaur fans even...more of these 'found footage' type films I think. Well, maybe I need to check out the 'Baby' one then.

I meant the trailer. Both the teaser AND the trailer really helped ease my fears. I'm also basing my faith on the three websites that the film-makers have for the movie. The 'Masrani' viral site in particular does an excellent job of staying true to JP canon, and helping to explain why the park was made from an in-universe perspective. Helps to ease the burden of exposition, and for the die hard JP fans like me, its much appreciated.

I'll be honest. I saw Crystal Skull in the theater, but honestly have no memory of watching any trailers for it. I'll be blunt about that. I do remember though that I was thinking after I exited the theater was like 'ugh. Shia Labeouf'. But to get back to topic...maybe Im just a slightly bit biased since I am a bigger fan of JP. I love both franchises, but in the end, its jP merchandise that fills my house, and only a few bits of Indy stuff.

Well of course I think it will be fleshed out in the film. The website though is considered canon by the JP fandom, as many parts of it do not conflict, but make sense in the structure of the other movies.

Also about the raptors. The writer addresses that here in this twitter post.