If River hadn't died there would've been no Chronicles

fedoraboy

I'm, personally, not a big fan of the TV series and I know that opinion is mixed among other Indy fans. However, didn't Lucas originally want to do a spin off movie (or series of movies) featuring River Phoenix as Young Indy? When River died Lucas redeveloped the idea as a TV series.

I'm not a massive fan of the 'Young Indy' section of Crusade, although I infinitely prefer River in the role to SPF. I'm glad that Young Indy never made it to the big screen (I'm NOT saying I'm glad RP is dead!!) because I think the more we know about Indy as a kid the more it cheapens the adult 'Ford' version (I think I would have found it harder to ignore a big screen young Indy adventure than I have the TV series). But what's the common concensus, would people have been for or against a Young Indy movie with River.

I think a young Indy movie could have worked with River if Spielberg was directing. But definetly not if Lucas was in the Directors seat because the Young Indy that Lucas created is nothing what I imagine young Indy to be like.

If River Phoenix was alive today, he'd probably be a homeless junkie swapping quick-ones-off-the-wrist in back-alleys, for his daily fix of speedball....

Clinton, youve obviously made your trip to that alley a couple times today already, so put down the juicy juice. He was a good young actor that was taking drugs just like every other good young actor at that time. He is the only one in my eyes that could have succeeded ford. Not made the character better, but he could of kept the development of young Indy into a mature Indy believable,unlike Lucas's young Indy.

"taking drugs just like every other good young actor at that time"
Bull... He was an idiot who let a recreational substance rule, then ruin, and then end his life! The vast majority of 'good young actors' from that time, or indeed any other time were not so stupid.

Did he have talent? No one is saying he didn't....

Fat lotta good it did him.

He COULDA made a career outa playing Indy.... Maybe YIJC might nota sucked out loud if he hadn't been so stupid...

Actually Clinton he died with pain killers and other prescription drugs in his blood system, a common overdose when mixed with too much alcohol, yes he was irresponsible just like other teens, and the majority of young actors at that time where taking drugs, all of them admit, a will name a few, Corey Feldman,Keanu Reeves, infamous brat pack including Judd Nelson,Demmy Moore all the kids from Breakfast Club, Andrew Mcarthy ,blah,blah,blah and on and on,they were all high man,River was talented and he wanted to be a good actor ,he was in the scene though that I just mentioned,they hung at the Viper Room in LA ,Ive been there many times, its a hollywood scene, those kids were all talented and they were all using drugs. Atleast we agree on something and that is that the Young Indy created by Lucas sucks and Mead is the best liquor on the planet.

Matinee Idyll

fedoraboy said:
I think the more we know about Indy as a kid the more it cheapens the adult 'Ford' version

Why?

This isn't Hannibal Lecter we're talking about. The Indy of the films was a pretty 2-dimensional character... so I'm glad for little parts of his backstory to be fleshed out, personally.

Actually Clinton he died with pain killers and other prescription drugs in his blood system, a common overdose when mixed with too much alcohol, yes he was irresponsible just like other teens, and the majority of young actors at that time were taking drugs, all of them admit it, I will name a few, Corey Feldman,Keanu Reeves, infamous brat pack including Judd Nelson,Demmy Moore all the kids from Breakfast Club, Andrew Mcarthy ,blah,blah,blah and on and on,they were all high man,River was talented and he wanted to be a good actor ,he was in the scene though that I just mentioned,they hung at the Viper Room in LA ,Ive been there many times, its a hollywood scene, those kids were all talented and they were all using drugs. Atleast we agree on something and that is that the Young Indy created by Lucas sucks and Mead is the best liquor on the planet.

ClintonHammond said:
Could you be any less coherent?
I could try but these painkillers are killin me and my grammar,I better head to the viper room for a cold one, you hurt my feelings and theres nothin like a stiff one mixed with some prozac and codeine too make it all better.:)

fedoraboy

Matinee Idyll said:
Why?

This isn't Hannibal Lecter we're talking about. The Indy of the films was a pretty 2-dimensional character... so I'm glad for little parts of his backstory to be fleshed out, personally.

Back story adds absolutely nothing, I prefer to create my own idea of how a character got the way he is...use my imagination a little. Plus, I'd say Indy, certianly the Indy of Raiders and Crusade is a well defined 3 dimensional character.

The Hannibal Lector in the latest cash-in, and, of course, the teenage Vader from the prequels, add absuletely nothing of worth to the character, in fact, they actually detract a little bit of greatness because you learn too much about them.

The start of Crusade was OK, but think about it, Indy learns how to use a whip, aquires his famous chin scar, becomes scared of snakes AND gets his fedora in the space of 15 minutes! A bit contrived me thinks...and things only got worse with YIJC...how many famous/influential people can this guy meet before hitting 20!!?? He ain't Forrest Gump!

Jonathan Brandis hung himself... Not the same....

"use my imagination a little"
Then the movie world isn't for you.... especially not the movies of George Lucas and Steven Spielburg

fedoraboy

ClintonHammond said:
"use my imagination a little"
Then the movie world isn't for you.... especially not the movies of George Lucas and Steven Spielburg

I was refering to using imagination to cunjure up back stories for characters not entire films, obviously...

fedoraboy said:
Back story adds absolutely nothing, I prefer to create my own idea of how a character got the way he is...use my imagination a little. Plus, I'd say Indy, certianly the Indy of Raiders and Crusade is a well defined 3 dimensional character.

The Hannibal Lector in the latest cash-in, and, of course, the teenage Vader from the prequels, add absuletely nothing of worth to the character, in fact, they actually detract a little bit of greatness because you learn too much about them.

The start of Crusade was OK, but think about it, Indy learns how to use a whip, aquires his famous chin scar, becomes scared of snakes AND gets his fedora in the space of 15 minutes! A bit contrived me thinks...and things only got worse with YIJC...how many famous/influential people can this guy meet before hitting 20!!?? He ain't Forrest Gump!
I absolutley agree with this fedoraboy, and actually Clinton using your imagination is what movie going is all about, its a shame you dont get it. Clinton you also do not like the young Indiana concept, so what are you talking about, its like your disagreeing with yourself to prove the point that you always disagree, even with yourself? Astonishing moronism, and yes moronism is a word in my dictionary so dont bother looking it up.

"using your imagination is what movie going is all about"
Not with people like Speilburg and Lucas who feel the need to spell out every little detail... that you don't understand it is no surprise to me.

9pj... take a grammar class would you please...

The Adventurer

ninepinejones said:
Clinton you also do not like the young Indiana concept, so what are you talking about, its like your disagreeing with yourself to prove the point that you always disagree, even with yourself? Astonishing moronism, and yes moronism is a word in my dictionary so dont bother looking it up.

To argue with someone is something...but to offence is other thing.

Clinton, you even mentioning the word grammar is an oxymoron, you have never once spelled "Spielburg" correctly and if you want to attend this grammar class I will be holding a class next week in the Open Discussion forum. Actually I can dedicate the class to you so that you dont keep embarrising yourself every time you mispell Spielburg and try to correct a members grammar at the same time. :)