Can we get Indy around the globe ?

NickTurner

Montana Smith said:
...and Saturday Night Fever impersonations

LMAO!!

I was not not too happy with the riding-theBART pics, so I decided to have another go....

Boarding.

TIndy_61.jpg

Looking for a seat.

TIndy_63.jpg

Found one!

TIndy_64.jpg

OK, time to 'off-board'.

TIndy_65.jpg

I waited until a station this time before taking a picture, though I found the trains still wobble about when people get on or off!

Folks who find continuity errors in movies might notice a flaw in the 'narrative flow' here. :D

NickTurner

It's official! Indy is heading out to the Philippines for 3 weeks. Handover was made over pints of beer in a pub (y)

I took the liberty of supplying Indy with a few tools. Inspired by the movies and Raveners' imagination Indy gets into some adventures along with his travels. So in certain cases Indy might want to use a flaming torch, whip (coiled and deployed) or if all else fails, revolver. In most cases Indy will happily play tourist, but on occasion it might be fun to see him "in action". I also included a clear stand which might prove useful.

Attila the Professor said:
That's a lovely part of Oakland, Nick. I walked around the lake a few years back. Did Indy happen to visit the oldest bonsai tree in the Americas?

What a fantastic idea this turned out to be! The pics speak for themselves I think...and I was having so much fun I'll post a bunch of them!

TIndy_66.jpg

TIndy_67.jpg

TIndy_68.jpg

TIndy_69.jpg

TIndy_70.jpg

TIndy_71.jpg

TIndy_72.jpg

TIndy_73.jpg

TIndy_74.jpg

TIndy_75.jpg

NickTurner

Indy visits Chinatown in Oakland. Not as big as San Francisco, but there nonetheless. I wonder if this place is worth eating in?

TIndy_90.jpg

OK, seems popular enough...

TIndy_91.jpg

OMG! (Bowl of rice porridge with preserved egg - $1.50!)

TIndy_92.jpg

Ah street markets! Anything worth haggling over?

TIndy_93.jpg

Another restuarant...

TIndy_94.jpg

Hmm OK moving on then!

TIndy_95.jpg

NickTurner

Hmm busy street. Have to wait.

TIndy_97.jpg

OK now I can cross!

TIndy_96.jpg

Dang I think I'm lost. Did I take a wrong turn somewhere?

TIndy_98.jpg

Well, still in Chinatown for sure!

TIndy_99.jpg

Hot dang now THAT's where I should be staying!

TIndy_100.jpg

NickTurner

Back to BART in an underground station - 19th Street Oakland. (Taken hand held, no flash, auto exposure but manual focus, as were the Chinatown shots above.)

TIndy_101.jpg

A train will be along soon - I hope! Have a rendezvous to keep.

TIndy_102.jpg

This is it! The pub where I meet the man who has transport to the Philippines!

TIndy_103.jpg

NickTurner

Rocket Surgeon said:
Indiana Jones crossing the street!

LOL!

But it's crossing the street .... IN CHINATOWN! :D

Rocket Surgeon said:
Is it getting easier?
Perhaps so. I used a different technique for sure. The initial shots were 'Indy tourist', taking in the sites, up close to the camera, usually eliminating real people as they tended to spoil the shot, either messing up the perspective or by being bleary because of the narrow aperture and thus longer exposure time. The bonsai shots were taken without using the tripod, and for giggles I tried to get Indy together with real people. That seemed to work out, so in Chinatown I tried to get Indy right there on the street with the crowd. No tripod, auto exposure, slightly wide angle on the lens (which is more forgiving of focus), holding Indy further away from the camera and using manual focus. If I could I would bracket the focus shots - the only awkward part was holding Indy in one hand, camera in the other, then needing a third hand to adjust focus! Doing that gave me the luxury of later picking the best shot!

Le Saboteur

NickTurner said:
Indy visits Chinatown in Oakland. Not as big as San Francisco, but there nonetheless.

While it lacks the architecture of San Francisco's Chinatown, Oakland's does have the cachet of being a real working neighborhood unlike the tourist trap in SF. The menus in restaurants are typically still in Chinese, with Engrish translations. Doctors, lawyers, and whats its still cater to a predominantly Chinese crowds.

NickTurner said:
Hmm busy street. Have to wait.

Should have tired for an aerial shot that shows off the rad eight-way crosswalks!

NickTurner said:
Dang I think I'm lost. Did I take a wrong turn somewhere?

No, Sum Yee Pastry was right there! Did Wu Han not tell Indy of their fabulous steamed buns and obscenely large potstickers?! Cam Huong next store has, quite possibly, the best bahn mi in the East Bay; and at two-fifty, a price that has yet to be beat!

All in all, great pictures Nick! Keep up the great work...well, when Indy gets back.

NickTurner

inky_skin said:
Hey Nick. Sure hope your friend wasn't caught up in Typhoon Washi. Please update us...

HEHE I got this message: "Man, that site is such an ass. Why do I have to await moderation in order to post pics? I've signed up with various forums before and I've always been able to post messages and pics right away."

So if he's whichin' (with a 'b' ;) ) about the Raven I guess the typhoon wasn't that bad!!!!:D

Montana Smith

NickTurner said:
HEHE I got this message: "Man, that site is such an ass. Why do I have to await moderation in order to post pics? I've signed up with various forums before and I've always been able to post messages and pics right away."

Guess they're just maintaining a certain standard. Like the doorman at a certain Shanghai club during the Japanese bombing, who told a man he couldn't come in for shelter because he wasn't a member.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Hope there are some extreme weather shots!

You mean shots such as Indy's soaking wet foot glimpsed in the top right hand corner of the picture as he makes his way back to America on the cheapest ticket possible?

NickTurner

Request for moderators - please authorize MDP78 - then we can get a visual update from Indy's Philippines excursion. Thanks!

inky_skin

While we are waiting for updates - a small request for info. I'm in the unique position of being able to take Indy to Elstree Studios next summer to see the man who invited Speilberg to make Raiders/Temple there - Gary Kurtz. Are you guys aware of any significant areas of the studio (other than the George Lucas Stages) where shots for the Indy trilogy were filmed ?

Montana Smith

inky_skin said:
I'm in the unique position of being able to take Indy to Elstree Studios next summer to see the man who invited Speilberg to make Raiders/Temple there - Gary Kurtz.

Wow, there's a story behind that statement that needs telling!

Kurtz, the man who called Lucas out on going for spectacle over story, and was proved right with KOTCS. Be interesting to know his current feelings on the subjects he raised...

inky_skin

Montana Smith said:
Wow, there's a story behind that statement that needs telling!

Kurtz, the man who called Lucas out on going for spectacle over story, and was proved right with KOTCS. Be interesting to know his current feelings on the subjects he raised...

Well, in honour of my 40th next year I decided to treat myself and splash out on a ticket to a very limited event to be held at Elstree. An audience with Kurtz limited to less than 100 people, a private tour of the studios (which is the real draw - these are working studios and closed to the public), an exhibition of Star Wars artefacts from the Kurtz collection...

Travelling Indy was more of an afterthought, but if there are questions you want asking please let me know...

MDP78

Indy's been spotted braving the mean streets of Metro Manila.

Indy_Manila_01.jpg

Indy_Manila_02.jpg

Catching a jeepney ride:

Indy_Manila_03.jpg

And he's off to better scenery... Stay tuned! ;)

Indy_Manila_04.jpg