Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Le Saboteur

inky_skin said:
Hoping to get Indy to Clouds Hill / Bovington on Tuesday - will let you chaps figure out why those two locations are significant...

If somebody could get Indy into the Black Museum, that would be fantastic.

The fact that it's not public makes it that much more challenging.

Archaeos

Le Saboteur said:
If somebody could get Indy into the Black Museum, that would be fantastic.

The fact that it's not public makes it that much more challenging.

Making an appointment to see Room 101 as a civilian is nigh impossible. To be caught taking photos in it could mean that the next room you see is the cosy deportation lounge at Heathrow Airport... SO LET'S DO IT :D (y)

inky_skin

Archaeos said:
Making an appointment to see Room 101 as a civilian is nigh impossible. To be caught taking photos in it could mean that the next room you see is the cosy deportation lounge at Heathrow Airport... SO LET'S DO IT :D (y)

Heh, I could tell you a story about Cuban customs that would make Heathrow seem VERY cosy...

NickTurner

inky_skin

Spot on Nick - the tank museum even gets a name check in the credits of Last Crusade.

You grew up around the Wareham area ? I'm guessing that put us in the same place at the same time. Blandford, Poole and the like were my stomping ground in my 20s (back in the 90s).

NickTurner

Lived in Broadstone from age 11 to 18. I'm a bit before your time though - 1965 - 1972! I'm sure being close to Bovington Camp got me into armour modelling though.

Archaeos

With travelling Indy soon bound to sunny California for attention of Le Saboteur - although maybe after a little prolonged stay in Europe with me -, I think it should be okay to doublepost Attila's heads-up that the National Geographic Adventure of Archaeology Exhibition (discussed here) currently at CAC in Valencia until 16 September 2012, will also move on to California!

Attila the Professor said:
I'm surprised this hasn't come up here, especially as it's been mentioned on TheRaider.net:

And for Los Angeles-based Indy fans, the ?Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology? exhibit is coming to the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana on Oct. 12, on the heels of the Blu-ray release in September. The exhibit features props from the movies, including the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail, as well as genuine archaeological artifacts, many of which served as inspiration for the film.

Great news, as this could raises the possibility of Travelling Indy visiting "his" Travelling Exhibition (y) .

russds

Archaeos said:
With travelling Indy soon bound to sunny California for attention of Le Saboteur - although maybe after a little prolonged stay in Europe with me -, I think it should be okay to doublepost Attila's heads-up that the National Geographic Adventure of Archaeology Exhibition (discussed here) currently at CAC in Valencia until 16 September 2012, will also move on to California! Great news, as this could raises the possibility of Travelling Indy visiting "his" Travelling Exhibition (y) .

Wow, great, thanks for posting, i was hoping the exhibit would come to so cal, and here it is coming in Oct. I will definitely be going. If the possibility presents itself, i will be going and could take traveling Indy.

inky_skin

Archaeos said:
Great news, as this could raises the possibility of Travelling Indy visiting "his" Travelling Exhibition (y) .

You make a great point Archaeos - anyone up for it (although I've promised Le Sab that Indy will be back in his possession by October at the latest) ?

Well, I've had a great time with Indy - both taking him on a couple of excursions and also reading his diaries and examining the collected ephemera - but it's time for him to move on.

I did manage to make a wet - and ultimately disappointing - detour to Clouds Hill (home of T E Lawrence) last week. Unfortunately, it turns out the house is shut for part of the week so I was only able to grab the following shots:

IMAG0415.jpg

IMAG0413.jpg

The overall "Travelling Indy" package now weighs almost a kilo, so I'm making an executive decision to only forward on Indy and his diaries. The rest I'm going to retain in order to scan / photograph and post in this thread. I hope you are all ok with this (reduces postage costs as well).

As far as a website is concerned, I'm very keen to take russds and Le Sab up on their offer to develop something. I think it's more appropriate than the book idea at this moment as we can keep adding new content - committing his travels to paper has a certain finality to it that would be better explored once Indy's travels are over. Chaps - I'll be in touch.

Archaeos - you're up ! :whip:

inky_skin

russds said:
Wow, great, thanks for posting, i was hoping the exhibit would come to so cal, and here it is coming in Oct. I will definitely be going. If the possibility presents itself, i will be going and could take traveling Indy.

Apologies russds, only just seen your post. Let us see if we can't synchronise a few schedules...

Archaeos

inky_skin said:
Archaeos - you're up ! :whip:

Ayeaye, Sir! :hat:

(Pressure is on now :eek:)

You've got a message, Inky.
Already have some plans fermenting in my head on what's possible.

For sure is: I will try my best to weave a bit further the Indy-in-Britain narrative that you started, and have him return to London from having met up with T.E. Lawrence (I loved that - what a great idea that was, Inky (y) ), catch up on the scholar side of his life at some museums, and maybe let him walk past some other landmarks or places — any requests from Raveners are welcome... if you want to see Indy somewere, post it here... okay, except me being arrested by the Met for attempting to break into Room 101, okay ;) )

If nothing geopolitically serious happens, Indy will then be off to Turkey for some fieldwork. Let's see if there's some adventure he is catapulted into...

First week of September, I will be back in London, and then post Indy with courier to Le Sab in California where he should arrive 3rd week of September latest. And then, off to Santa Ana or Rest of America... the adventure continues...

Good call on the reduced-package thing (1kg... wow...), and of course the website. I think that's a much better idea for now than a book, although at the end of Indy's travel, an edited/curated photobook would be cool. But the adventure is just beginning, anyhow, as I can see Indy travelling in 2 years + time with no end in sight...

:whip:

Archaeos

Just a heads up to everyone here that Travelling Indy has safely arrived yesterday. Thanks Inky! :cool:

Over the next 6 weeks, the adventure continues with me before he will jet off to LeSab. (y)

Stoo

Archaeos said:
— any requests from Raveners are welcome... if you want to see Indy somewere, post it here... okay, except me being arrested by the Met for attempting to break into Room 101, okay ;)
Here are some suggestions:

1) With a Coldstream Guard or a Horse Guard.
2) Recreate the shot near Big Ben from the London episode of Young Indy.
3) Outside/Inside the University of London (where he taught in a couple of the novels).
4) Gandhi statue in Tavistock Square (Indy encountered Gandhi in a comic...and an unproduced TV episode).
5) Imperial War Museum!
6) WW1 Cenotaph in Whitehall.
7) Herbert Johnson store near Piccadilly.
8) With the wax figure of Indy at Madame Tussaud's.
9) A photo with you, Archaeos!:whip:

(I would request to see Indy on Carnaby St. but it wouldn't really suit the old codger.;))

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

Here are a few more suggestions:

1.) Aboard H.M.S. Victory
2.) 12 Downing Street
3.) The Sherlock Holmes Museum
4.) The clock tower at Hereford
5.) Aboard the Golden Hind
6.) the grave of Sir Richard Francis Burton
7.) Savile Row and/or Bond St.
8.) Thames House
9.) The Athenaeum's Library
10.) The Traveller's Club

If you could include a bottle of 108-proof Pusser's in the package, that would be great.

Stoo

Nice suggestion list, Le Sab. One more to add:

- Watching The Who perform at the closing ceremony of the Olympics! Live in person or televised - doesn't matter - just do it "anyway, anyhow, anywhere"!:whip:

Archaeos

@LeSab @LeStoo

Thanks so much for the inspiration and ideas.

Much to my surprise, the requests are all feasable, even though LeSab's are a little less probable, especially when they located outside the London universe of the M25. But I can compensate any that I can't fulfill with equally interesting stuff (me thinks).

Would you like Herbert Johnson's at 54 St James's Street or at 162 Piccadilly :cool: ?

Watching The Who perform at the closing ceremony of the Olympics! Live in person or televised - doesn't matter - just do it "anyway, anyhow, anywhere"!

Now THAT I can't do, simply because I will have "wheels-up" to Turkey at almost exactly the moment when The Who is wheeled out on stage. But maybe... there is... another... opt... ion... Let me make this up as I along :)

If you could include a bottle of 108-proof Pusser's in the package, that would be great.

Good taste. Too much 84-proof p•ssy stuff floating around here, if I may say so, skipper.
Will see that the US Customs could do to stop such a shipment.

Stoo

Archaeos said:
Now THAT I can't do, simply because I will have "wheels-up" to Turkey at almost exactly the moment when The Who is wheeled out on stage. But maybe... there is... another... opt... ion... Let me make this up as I along :)
Hyuk, hyuk. Yes, they are old...but so is Dr. Jones!:p (Harrison is 2 years older than Daltrey and 3 years older than Townshend.) They eventually got "wheeled out on stage" at midnight (GMT) so if you managed to get the shot, I'll be pleasantly surprised! If not, no sweat.;)
Archaeos said:
First week of September, I will be back in London, and then post Indy with courier to Le Sab in California where he should arrive 3rd week of September latest. And then, off to Santa Ana or Rest of America... the adventure continues...
September is right around the corner so Mini-Indy & Archaeos should be back from Turkey very soon...Can't wait for the travelogue to resume.

Archaeos

Stoo said:
Originally Posted by Archaeos
September is right around the corner so Mini-Indy & Archaeos should be back from Turkey very soon...Can't wait for the travelogue to resume.September is right around the corner so Mini-Indy & Archaeos should be back from Turkey very soon...Can't wait for the travelogue to resume.

Let it be heard :hat: :

Mini Indy is back, and will return in

"Travelling Indy and the Discus of Pegasus"

295106_440902802615505_586798240_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=440902802615505&l=f5678cd37e

P.S.: LeSab, you've got mail.