Why is Temple of Doom a prequel?

Bullwhip

U.S.Raider said:
I heard once that in an interview about ToD, Ford said he was sorry he ever made the movie and that he really didn't like it. Then again, that's just what i heard on the grapevine...

I don't think so. IIRC Ford is actually the one who still loves it out of Spielberg and Lucas.

oki9Sedo

Bullwhip said:
I don't think so. IIRC Ford is actually the one who still loves it out of Spielberg and Lucas.

Yes, what U.S. Raider said is bullsh*t. In 2006 issue of Empire Magazine Ford is interviewed and says "Its a good film. They're all good films."

Niteshade007

U.S.Raider said:
I heard once that in an interview about ToD, Ford said he was sorry he ever made the movie and that he really didn't like it. Then again, that's just what i heard on the grapevine...

I think the only reason that Ford may not have the best memories of Temple of Doom is because he hurt his back during filming. It still apparently causes him pain (at least at the time of the DVD interviews). Also, the film was poorly reviewed, was not as successful as Raiders, and certainly not as popular as Last Crusade.

However, I doubt that he regrets making the movie, however. He, Spielberg, and Lucas all seem to have a great relationship, so I'm sure it was fun just to work with them again. I do know that it is Spielberg's least favorite, but he was glad he made it because he met Kate Capshaw.

Finn

Staff member
Ford has many times implied that Indiana Jones is his all-time favorite role. It doesn't say what he thinks of those movies as individual pieces of course, but it's hard to imagine he'd loathe any of them with passion.

And he's probably having the time of his life playing the character once again!

oki9Sedo

Finn said:
Ford has many times implied that Indiana Jones is his all-time favorite role. It doesn't say what he thinks of those movies as individual pieces of course, but it's hard to imagine he'd loathe any of them with passion.

And he's probably having the time of his life playing the character once again!

He said he likes Temple of Doom in an interview with Empire Magazine.

oki9Sedo

AL_Patterson said:
I'll place a $100 bet that when Indy 4 comes out, Lucas, Berg, and Ford will all say it's their favorite.

Its not like the three of them have disowned it. In a recent issue with Empire Magazine, George Lucas says he loves it, its just "slightly darker and not as fun as Raiders." Ford says "Its a good film. They all are."

Bullwhip

AL_Patterson said:
I'll place a $100 bet that when Indy 4 comes out, Lucas, Berg, and Ford will all say it's their favorite.

That's a given. I know every new story I write is my favorite. It'd be kind of pointless to be involved in something that you aren't excited about, especially something as involving and fatiguing as a creative endeavor.

oki9Sedo

AL_Patterson said:

Sorry, ignore my last post, I thought you were talking about Temple of Doom. Yes, there is absolutely no doubt that they will all say its their favourite.

Inbanana

Doom was probably a prequel for the same reason that Star Wars started off with episode 4...

There's a rumor that Lucas originally envisioned Star Wars to be 9 episodes long, with the first trilogy being the middle part... Same with Raiders, being the first movie, it actually takes place between Doom and Crusade.

I think Lucas wanted Indiana Jones to mirror Star Wars for some reason, I don't know why... maybe OCD, or he just likes to tell a story by starting from the middle, who knows...

Finn

Staff member
Inbanana said:
I think Lucas wanted Indiana Jones to mirror Star Wars for some reason, I don't know why... maybe OCD, or he just likes to tell a story by starting from the middle, who knows...
That's likely it, since unlike Star Wars, you don't have to watch the previous installments to get everything out of an Indiana Jones film.

However, the fourth installment might make a difference, especially since Karen Allen now aboard, it seems likely there will be a more direct connection with Raiders.

oki9Sedo

Finn said:
That's likely it, since unlike Star Wars, you don't have to watch the previous installments to get everything out of an Indiana Jones film.

However, the fourth installment might make a difference, especially since Karen Allen now aboard, it seems likely there will be a more direct connection with Raiders.

I think it makes things more interesting. Its fun to watch Temple of Doom and think that the events of Raiders still lie ahead.

Patrick

During Raiders, Indy was becoming more involved in facing the Nazis for historic relics. They wanted to show what Indiana Jones was like before facing his ultimate foe.

Adolf Hitler

Ok, I've long wondered about this, but why is Doom set before Raiders? I've personally never seen an explanation for it and would be very grateful if anyone has any production notes of making of material that gives some sort of answer to this!