Indy 4 to use LOLAFX?

subspark

They should be using LOLA. Its a tool used in X-Men: The Last Stand which digitally rejuvenates the actors captured in a sequence of moving frames.
http://lolavfx.com/20060822_enterta...eering_lola.pdf

With ridiculously little work, this is what the software is capable of doing for Indy's latest appearance:
indiana_rejuvenated.jpg

Cheers,
PW. :gun:

He doesn't need it. It's not like he's supposed to be playing a very young version of Indy. In X-Men, the characters were upwards of twenty years younger. Ford will be just fine. I think it would take away from his performance to use something like that for an entire movie. Maybe if there's a flashback, but that's it.

Dr.Sartorius

That's some great work. He looks at least 15 years younger. But if Ford really does look as young as he does in the normal pic released online (assuming they didn't manipulate it) then he'll look young enough. He looks 55 tops in the unaltered photo and thats good enough.

Rae-deemer

Part of the plot of the movie though is that he's playing an "Older" Indiana Jones. It would be laughable for the audience to make him look 35 again. It would make a joke of the film and no fan wants to see that happen.

-Jones-

Rae-deemer said:
Part of the plot of the movie though is that he's playing an "Older" Indiana Jones. It would be laughable for the audience to make him look 35 again. It would make a joke of the film and no fan wants to see that happen.

Of course, but they can make his hair darker and erase some of his wrinkles at least.

deckard24

Subspark, that's funny you brought this up because I mentioned how scary it would be if they actually used it a while ago! It is a pretty amazing technological achievement, but I really like the older Indy we now have. Yes Ford is a near 65 year old man now, but he still looks like a badass in his Indy duds. I was nervous for a bit after Firewall because he really looked old in that movie, but now after getting into amazing shape and getting his old Indy haircut the man looks terrific. I wouldn't mind a few more Indy adventures with the new older, greyer, grittier, and wiser Indy if they so chose to do them.

Niteshade007

Yeah, I rather like the older Indy. I mean, this is amazing technology, but I don't think they should use it on this film.

Dr.Sartorius

I don't think Ford looked as old as people say he did in Firewall. I think the movie being as bad as it was (and Harrison's character being completely uninteresting) made him seem older.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
It's not just that Indy is older, but he's definitely been worn by the elements...he should look older than his actual age, not younger. Thus, Ford being older than Indy is entirely appropriate.

Grimdiana Bones

Attila the Professor said:
It's not just that Indy is older, but he's definitely been worn by the elements...he should look older than his actual age, not younger. Thus, Ford being older than Indy is entirely appropriate.

I couldn't agree more, I'm excited to see an adventure from indys elder years.

subspark

I really hope that there will be a reduced use of digital effect in this movie. I'd like to see an old-style advencture movie!!!

I second that. :whip:
If perhaps the technology was considered before the fourth story was written, we just may have had ourselves another cg fest. Or we may have witnessed the birth of a new technical achievement.
To be honest the technology is quite stable for use over a short to moderate sequence and to use it on the entire film and cast would be a huge undertaking. Who knows what would have come of it.

Cheers, (y)
PW.

arkfinder

I can only speak for myself. But, I DO NOT want my Indy to be LOLA or CGI. Take warning Lucas. Don't mess around with Indy like you did SW Epi.I-III Got it!

Totally agree with you guys!(y) :hat: :)
It's better to be realistic than to be ridiculous!

After all 18 years are a long time to wait...Let's hope to see a wonderful (REAL) Indy-movie.:whip:

Echo22

You have nothing to worry about. The only way you'll see this kind of technology is if the beginning sequence is a flashback. (Although it was done rather well, I could actually see them doing a little bit better job than in X-men)

But, here's why you won't see this in Indy 4...
First off, Ford would never allow it. Second, the year has been confirmed to be in the 50's (likely '57) He needs to look older for that to work. Spielberg's too smart to use technology to fool the audience when there's absolutely no reason for it. Third, Ford doesn't need that type of digital makeover. He looks great.

It might work if done briefly for the purpose of a flashback. But, for some reason, I see them using that sort of valuable time re-introducing Indy in the 50's. Spielberg and Lucas are big fans of that era.

arkfinder

There's no real point to do it. Not to mention Spielberg hasn't used it. He's an old school director. Thank goodness there not all gone!