5th movie?

Raiders90

I know there's already been speculation on this but what I haven't seen anyone notice is that this film hasn't been marketed as the ''final'' Indiana Jones movie (simply as the ''4th). You'd think if it was going to be the final movie that it would be marketed as such, something like "The Last Chance to See Everyone's Favorite Archaeologist" or something.
I also don't recall Spielberg or Lucas ever saying it was the final movie either. And given that recently Ford said he'd do a fifth Indy in a "New York Minute" so long it as it doesn't take 20 years, I can see it happening. If Harrison can pull off Indy at age 65, why not at age 67or 68? Wasn't John Wayne still starring in action flicks well into his 70s? So was Connery (League of Extroadinary Gentlemen). With today's technology, it certainly is possible. It's not like he'd really be physically going off on an adventure, it's a movie.
Especially if it each movie was set with KoTCS set in '57, the next movie set in '58 and the last maybe set in '59 (if they went so far as a new trilogy) that would keep the series in the realm of the '50s and not expand it in the '60s (which I don't think would fit with IJ), Indy's age would still be reasonable, he'd hit the 60 mark in the last movie and call it quits.

Shia's role--if he is good and proves popular--could expand in the 2nd and 3rd movies and maybe from then on he could take the series into the '60s as the lead. But it would be a slow transition over the 3 movies. That's thinking into the future, but it'd be awesome to have at least one more Indy after this one, especially if this turns out to be good. And if this Mutt character turns out to be interesting, it could be a good way to keep this series alive for generations to come.

Last edited:

OmegaSeamaster

Raiders112390 said:
You'd think if it was going to be the final movie that it would be marketed as such, something like "The Last Chance to See Everyone's Favorite Archaeologist" or something.

Yes, surely Lucas' people would have used the phrase...

"See Indy...One....LAST.....TIME!!!!"

bergstrom

Crack that whip said:
Yeah, and anyway this really belongs in the Indiana Jones 5 forum. :p ;)

Speaking of which, shoudl one be set up?? I know it's premature, but we could speculate there after seeing 4, as to where 5 could go?

berg

mapso

I'd prefer -- and I expect it will be -- a movie that stands on its own and doesn't prep a fifth. Especially if, as I read on Dark Horizons recently, very early buzz on KOTCS is "to keep your expectations in check."

ReggieSnake

From what we've heard from The Beards on the matter, it seems apparent that they want to see how "4" does before they consider a "5".

Matthew

I think it is the last. Remember when principal photography wrapped and they were saying how they didn't want it to end? Plus that ultimate guide book "from Raiders to Kingdom", "all" 4 films it says something like.

met3460

I really feel that this is possible. The character is really unique, and Ford falls into that category too somewhat. IMO he is one of the last one that has that gritty look that really meshes with the character he plays. Like the OP said, no one really complained about John Wayne in the westerns when he was older, but I think this has to do with the actor and the parts he will play equally.

Raiders90

Imagine this though:

Indiana Jones and the Secrets of Shangri-La
Maguffin: Shangri-La
Setting: June 1958; US, London; Hong Kong; Kunlun Mountains

Indiana Jones and the Lost Garden of Life (or just "Indiana Jones and the Lost Garden")
Maguffin: Tree of Life
Setting: September 1959; US, Egypt; Africa,
Marion has become ill, and is near death.
The Soviets (or perhaps Religious Zealouts) are searching for the Tree of Life, which is said to bear fruit which holds infinite knolwedges within it and is able to ressurrect anyone from death and heal those who are sick. If the enemy is the Soviets, their reason would be to dominate the world; if it's religious zealouts, their reason to find it would be to use it's powers to wipe every other religion from the face of the earth. Perhaps both parties could play a role as the villains, with the primary antagonists being the Soviets with the Religious Zealouts showing up later.
Indy is contacted by his buddies in the C.I.A to stop the enemy in their tracks; He at first declines but when he learns that Marion is terribly ill, he decides to help the government for the last time as it may be the only thing that can save her from death. Since this quest is a quest which reaches back to the very beginnings of humanity, we could see the beginnings of Indy (A flashback to 1926, which shows Indy's meeting with Abner, his romance with Marion, the downfall of his and Abner's friendship and his first mercenary treasure hunt).
While in the Garden or on the way, Indy is haunted by visions of the past, friends, enemies and lovers long gone, both naturally and because of him (Perhaps the spirits of Molly, Belloq, and others would haunt him in some way or the memories of their deaths would; or the memories of WWI)
It would truly be a haunting quest, beautiful and at the same time sorrowful, while still retaining the adventurous tone of an Indy film.
That could end the saga, with the greatest artifact Indy's ever searched for. The series would then come full circle (it started with Indy searching a Christian artifact; it will end with the greatest mystery of Christianity.
The series would then have 6 movies; 3 set in the '30s, and three set in the '50s or it could last for one more movie:

Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth (or Indiana Jones and the Mysteries Within)
Maguffin: Fountain of Youth;
Setting: May 1961

Indy, beginning to feel time catching up with him, goes on a quest for the Fountain of Youth, in order to restore himself to a younger age. At the end, however, he finds the Fountain but decides not to drink from it, as he realizes that all his life has been spent searching the world for objects to fit others' agendas and that it is truly time to settle down, and let time and nature take it's course. This would still be in an era of innocence (Camelot, the Kennedy era etc), before the Bay of Pigs, Kennedy's assasination and before Vietnam truly affected America; an era of glamour similar to the '30s in spirit but different in style, when the torch passed from men of Indy's generation to a new generation of Americans, born in the 20th century. Becoming an ''artifact'' himself, something anachronistic to the time period, if you will, would perhaps be what drives Indy on this last quest (similar to the 1976 movie Robin and Marion ; Robin again angers the Sherrif of Nottingham in order to feel young again; Indy would go on a quest to regain his youth.)
That would end the saga.

Last edited:

stunrun

Personally i wouldnt like the idea of an IJ5. Depends on the outcome of KotCS i guess, but for me? it's far too early to even think about IJ5 or even speculate about it.

MarxBrosFan

stunrun said:
Personally i wouldnt like the idea of an IJ5. Depends on the outcome of KotCS i guess, but for me? it's far too early to even think about IJ5 or even speculate about it.

I suppose it is too early to guess, but I don't know what more they can do with the series after this. If there is good chemistry between Indy and Mutt a fifth movie might work. If Mutt is Indy's son I don't see how they could remove him from a sequel.

EDIT: My biggest concern would be coming up with a good story in such a short period of time. They would have to get started on a fifth script immediately. I wouldn't want them to rush things and end up with a bad movie.

Last edited:

stunrun

MarxBrosFan said:
EDIT: My biggest concern would be coming up with a good story in such a short period of time. They would have to get started on a fifth script immediately. I wouldn't want them to rush things and end up with a bad movie.

Yup, i agree. Eversince 89' they tried and tried again until they all agreed upon a script. If they do decide to make a 5th, they'll probably ask themselves - "What could top the Crystal Skull?" and they'll probably spend another 19 years figuring it out! or they could rush it and ruin it, so personally i think Indy 5 would be a bad move.

Blue Jay

i dont think that they could get the band back together for another one.

i mean spielberg is off for the next few years doing others movies and then HF is like 70 and that is pretty old, even for him ;)

maybe we can get George Lucas to direct Indy 5? What is the worst that could happen?

----bad Blue jay, really really bad Blue Jay

agentsands77

Well, if the spoilers about KINGDOM are accurate (and I believe them to be), I think KINGDOM's a pretty good place for the franchise to stop.

Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that they could come up with a decent enough story in time to crank it out in the next 2-4 years. It's definitely going to be hard to come up with yet another artifact that's unique enough to stand out from the rest by powerful enough to motivate a whole new adventure.