TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #151
WilliamBoyd8
IndyFan

Is this website going to have a counter at the top?

"Days until Indiana Jones 5 - NNNN"

(Today March 18 2016 would be 1218, I believe)

Old 03-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #152
Walecs
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
I'd counter that the number of Bond incarnations actually dilutes the overall character -- thus Ford's Indy bests any one Bond incarnation, whether it be Connery, Craig or Lazenby (or frankly all of them combined).

Even as a huge Bond fan I agree with this.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #153
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamBoyd8
Is this website going to have a counter at the top?

"Days until Indiana Jones 5 - NNNN"

(Today March 18 2016 would be 1218, I believe)

We nominated the members to be accountable. They'll be more vocal about it daily; and we don't have to write any code.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #154
FordFan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
No, what I simply meant is that while Ford's "old Indy" may well sate the diehards like us, the casual viewer he likely will not. To placate the newcomers and those just wanting to see a good action flick, there needs to be a younger protagonist/deuteragonist.

And they have two ways to go about that. Either have the entire story remain in the "present", whichever decade that is (60s/70s most likely), and give Indy a younger sidekick, an original character - or place some of the action in the "past", with a younger actor portraying the iconic Dr. Jones.

The rest of my post simply was an argument why even those figuring Ford as Indy is sacrosanct, should prefer the latter option over the former. And I don't think there really is a third option, since I don't see them making some quiet mystery movie, almost an art house piece by the franchise standards.

Best note though that this is, of course, something we can merely debate amongst ourselves while waiting for more news. Whichever road they choose to take, I doubt they're going to poll us on it.

They're going to pair Indy up with a sidekick, just like in the last one and the one before that. It'll be someone younger, to draw in the younger audiences.

But an Indy movie that goes back and forth in time won't happen. There's a formula that they'll stick to. Spielberg used River Phoenix as a younger Indy, but he was never the focal point. Ford will be the focus, not a younger actor.

You can say I'm wrong and that's the way it's got to be, but up until four days ago, you didn't believe Ford and Spielberg would be teaming up again.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #155
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan
They're going to pair Indy up with a sidekick, just like in the last one and the one before that. It'll be someone younger, to draw in the younger audiences.
While Indy's had a variety of sidekicks over the years, they've never really been there to "draw in the younger audiences". The movies are called "Indiana Jones and the..." and the man in the hat himself has been the draw. Such was the case even with KotCS. While Mutt was there, he hardly featured in the marketing.

In fact, the only time they saw it fit to promote another character, was with Henry Sr in LC. And he's not exactly someone they used to draw in the younger lot.

Now, that even a very vehement Ford's fan admits that they may need someone to draw in the new blood... seems like the times have changed, and we both know that.

And since the times have changed, so may the formula.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #156
DeepSixFix
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWalker81
Wooohoooo! In the first place, I'm very happy by the announcement! In the second place: Wooohooo!
As for me, I think the important thing now is only a fact: Spielberg and Harrison are going to make another "Indiana Jones" movie. I don't think in problems by now, I only enjoy the big news about this epic hero. I can't hardly wait to see Indy on screen again. I will love meet one of my favorite heroes again, after many years...
Agreed!

Quote:
I understand the concerns about the movie, but we may have to relax! It's only a movie to enjoy and to see fun adventures and riddles.
So true! Itís all about escapist fun.

Quote:
By the way, I love this forum. I'm Spanish and I have been reading the topics since many years ago. Sorry for my bad English (I'm learning in these moments). I'll try come often by here and give my opinions about the Indy series. Greetings! Fortune and glory!
Your English is fantastic, thanks for participating!
Old 03-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #157
Johnny Nys
IndyFan

Like so many, I've visited this site over the past years, though it's been a while since I actively joined a discussion, since there hasn't been much to work it. I hope to join in the speculation game now, like we did way back when KotCS was announced.

Right now, I don't know whether to be stoked about the news, or still find it unbelievable. I'm a big Indy fan, and I never thought KotCS was all that bad. I still watch it when I do an Indython of all four movies, and even put it on by itself occasionally since it's still the Indy movie I've seen the least times of all.

I do think Ford did a great Solo in Episode VII, but now I fear they might put Indy through the same experience and I'm not sure if that's such a good idea.

I'd like the new movie to be more gritty, more dangerous or perilous, a lot less "photoshopped smoothness" over it all. I liked how VII was so similar to the original trilogy; I hope Indy 5 will be similar to the original trilogy as well.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #158
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Nys
Like so many, I've visited this site over the past years, though it's been a while since I actively joined a discussion, since there hasn't been much to work it. I hope to join in the speculation game now, like we did way back when KotCS was announced.

Right now, I don't know whether to be stoked about the news, or still find it unbelievable. I'm a big Indy fan, and I never thought KotCS was all that bad. I still watch it when I do an Indython of all four movies, and even put it on by itself occasionally since it's still the Indy movie I've seen the least times of all.

I do think Ford did a great Solo in Episode VII, but now I fear they might put Indy through the same experience and I'm not sure if that's such a good idea.

I'd like the new movie to be more gritty, more dangerous or perilous, a lot less "photoshopped smoothness" over it all. I liked how VII was so similar to the original trilogy; I hope Indy 5 will be similar to the original trilogy as well.

If they kill Indy off so many people will be pissed. I doubt Ford will let that happen though.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #159
Pale Horse

Disney's pretty much confirmed they have more stories to tell. When and how are still up in the air, but killing off a character seems to directly contradict the 'more stories' mantra.

That means I get no Shane-esque ending to Indy V.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #160
AlivePoet
IndyFan

I dropped by for a quick note the other day but now I'll post for real.

Like most Raveners here, I greatly anticipated Indy 4 before it came out, and like most Raveners, I was let down. And I fear that this new one is going to be as bad or worse than the last.

Here's why: the old timers probably haven't changed since KOTCS. They've only gotten older and probably more family-friendly. Their emphasis on father-son dynamics, family affairs, etc. is probably going to heavily feature again.

And their decision to shoot domestically only will probably also not change this time around. That was a major disappointment for me in the 4th. Part of what made the first 3 so interesting and appealing was the adventurous aspect in seeing them around the world (Sri Lanka, Tunisia, Jordan, etc.)

The first 3 partially inspired me to travel the world. The 4th does not share this distinction of being filmed internationally (unless you count the Argentinian Iguazu Falls shots, but I don't since none of the cast filmed anything there).

Anyway, so long as Ford is heavily featuring again, I guess I'll see it opening weekend. And until then I'll lap up every tidbit of info and talk about it here. But I don't expect the final product to be very good, and I'm sad to say that.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #161
NightWalker81
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSixFix
Agreed!

So true! Itís all about escapist fun.

Your English is fantastic, thanks for participating!

Thank you very much!

Yeah, I love Indiana Jones but, you know, sometimes I think the fans take the series too seriously. It's OK, and I understand, but in the end, maybe it's only for fun. I don't think Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Lucas wanted to make a masterpiece. They only wanted to give us adventures in the old fashion and entertainment cinema.

I'm in positive mood for the movie. I think Indy has always given fun to us, and the less I can do is wait for him with illusion!

Fantastic page and forums, by the way. This is one of the best forums about the series I have ever seen. There are very interesting topics, people who knows much and a lot of documentation.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #162
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Disney's pretty much confirmed they have more stories to tell. When and how are still up in the air, but killing off a character seems to directly contradict the 'more stories' mantra.

That means I get no Shane-esque ending to Indy V.

I, for one, would prefer for the movie to maintain continuity with the TYIJC bookends, even if they're absent from TAOYIJ. I therefore hope the movie will leave Indy alive (though if they want to have him lose the eye, as distressing as it might be to see, dramatically it'd be so much the better, especially since it would would pull double duty in not only strengthening ties to the show and answering that lingering question, but perhaps also address complaints about Indy's indestructibility re: the fridge).
Old 03-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #163
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Precisely.

And the only way to tell those stories going forward is by casting a new actor as younger Indy.

It's going to happen: get over it, people.

Indy 5 is Disney's best chance to successfully introduce the new actor alongside Ford, and I am betting they won't miss it.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #164
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
Precisely.

And the only way to tell those stories going forward is by casting a new actor as younger Indy.

It's going to happen, get over it people.

Indy 5 is Disney's best chance to successfully introduce the new actor alongside Ford, and I am betting they won't miss it.

I don't know. I think they're thinking of a final adventure for our classic Indy, and then after a pause going full reboot.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #165
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
I don't know. I think they're thinking of a final adventure for our classic Indy, and then after a pause going full reboot.
Why would Disney do that? There is nothing to be gained with that strategy.

Much better to give Ford most screen time in Indy 5 (which is going to be the last "classic Indy" anyway), while introducing a new actor in flashback scenes, so audiences get used to it in readiness for futures movies, set in the 20s and 30s.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #166
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
Why would Disney do that? There is nothing to be gained with that strategy.

Much better to give Ford most screen time in Indy 5 (which is going to be the last "classic Indy" anyway), while introducing a new actor in flashback scenes, so audiences get used to it in readiness for futures movies, set in the 20s and 30s.

Chuckle, he's said the same thing you did, just a bit differently. They need a new actor. "How" is just the devil in the details.

The ancient veterans of this site wanted Indy to die Noir-like (ambiguously or not), never to return. That fever dream is now broken.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #167
phantom train
IndyFan

It's been a long time since I posted on this board. Good to hear about a new, forthcoming IJ film in 2019 - I never thought there would be another after KOTCS (which I did like, but that's another thread).

In any case, here are some thoughts/questions about this forthcoming film:

Hopefully with Indy 5 they'll try to stay close to Harrison's age for the IJ character (as in KOTCS). I.e., IJ was born in 1899. Harrison Ford will be 77 in 2019. So, the IJ character would be 77 in 1976. So, to try to stay even somewhat close to HF's age the film has to take place in either the late 1960's (which is stretching it) - or more likely sometime in the early - mid 1970's.

Will there be flash-backs to an earlier time in Indy's life/adventures? If this is the case, they need to do a good job with the casting here for the younger Indy - that will be critical. Obviously, I was a big fan of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles TV series back in the '90's & felt that Sean Patrick Flanery played a great late teen & early 20's Indy. However, SPF is now 50 and may be too old to play this role again - depending on what time period this flash-back takes place, of course.

Lastly, even if Indy 5 is terrible, I still want it to come out - since, at the least, the release will almost certainly mean more IJ merchandise. There's still a lot of figures/vehicles I want to see from the first three movies that haven't been made yet.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #168
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Chuckle, he's said the same thing you did, just a bit differently. They need a new actor. "How" is just the devil in the details.
I know, you ancient veteran! And the how is what we've been discussing.

Will the new actor already be introduced in Indy 5, or only in later installments?

Methinks the former, and I am not alone
Old 03-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #169
Johnny Nys
IndyFan

I haven't seen "The Age of Adaline" other than the trailer, but I wouldn't mind Anthony Ingruber as a college age Indy stumbling upon something during his first dig - something similar to the "Crusade" prologue, I guess, but more in style of the "Raiders" prologue. Perhaps a dig where he first met Sallah, even though that meeting was already established in Les Martin's Young Indiana Jones book "The Tomb of Terror". But then they could have Sallah come back, needing Indy's help with whatever they encountered in their past. That could be Marion's cameo, sitting with Indy on the porch of their house, enjoying the quiet life, then they get the news of Sallah, perhaps in a similar way as how Indy got the Grail Diary from his dad, and then Marion urges him to go help their friend, for old times' sake.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #170
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

I think Harrison could pull off 65. So a 1965/1966 setting could work.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #171
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Sorry to all the guys who were vocal about it...

The 'Koepp as screenwriter' rumor just got further verification.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...crystal-876684
Old 03-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #172
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuck

EDIT: Damn, the swear filter you guys got is impressive.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #173
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Old 03-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #174
QBComics
IndyFan

There goes any hype I may have had. :/ Hopefully he's just working on the first draft.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #175
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBComics
There goes any hype I may have had. :/ Hopefully he's just working on the first draft.

Raiders and Temple had the same writers from beginning to end. Last Crusade and Crystal Skull changed hands a few times.

50/50 chance?
Closed Thread