Foreign language dialogue

Finn

Staff member
Just for the record, we still don't know the right answer to the rainfall question.

qwerty

Well that's easy to understand why. We are realy not looking for an answer. That was more of a hipotetical question. Or actualy question with no relevance what so ever.

phatr32

thats very interesting actually!!

thanks!

Tennessee R said:
As far as I know, no subs.
They can't make one heavy enough (And the visibility is horrible too).
Interesting, huh?

Paden

Finn said:
Just for the record, we still don't know the right answer to the rainfall question.
After digging around the net for a bit, I think that VP (as usual) has the right answer. Several sources that I found listed Arica, Chile, which is located in the Atacama Desert, as having the lowest average annual rainfall, around 0.8 mm to be exact. Of the sources I found, this seems to be one of the most credible.

oki9Sedo

German Mechanic: what is he saying?

Any German speakers here? I always wondered what the huge German mechanic (Pat Roach) is saying to Indy in Raiders of the Lost Ark. I did some German years ago in school, but I'm very rusty. I know what he's saying at the beginning ("Hey, Junge! Kom hier! Kom hier! Kom kampf!"), but everything after that is jibberish to me.

Last edited:

Viper

I can count to ten in German, besides that just thank-you and I love you.

I'm taking a class soon though.

Dr. HenryJones.jr

Komm is correct of german spelling words with two calling M
That is mean "Come on, boy fight it" I didn't know what if is correct spelling grammar of the english. Any without "boy" saying Come on is right words.

NileQT87

junge = boy
komm = come (from kommen)
hier = here
kampf = fight

mein kampf, hitler's book, should have told you what kampf means. komm hier is pretty obvious. und so weider. ;)

what i want to know is the whole too small uniform raiders speech before indy punches the guy.

i took a semester and a part of a second semester of german... ich spreche eine kleine deutsch, aber nicht gut--sehr schlecht. mon francais, cependant, c'est tres meilleur. ;)

those self-learning programs don't work (at least not for me)... try to take a junior college course or so... that is probably your best shot at learning something and retaining it. if you want to learn past that, i highly recommend dvd dubs and sitting down with something to translate and a dictionary--you'll be forced to look things up and you'll probably end up retaining all the funny or bad words (so typical, lol). of course, immersion is probably necessary if you plan to become fluent.

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
The sub base guy says something like "Sleeping? Why are you resting here? What have you done to your uniform? Go wash yourself so that you don't look like a pig!"

oki9Sedo

NileQT87-Solo_Baggins said:
junge = boy
komm = come (from kommen)
hier = here
kampf = fight

I said in my original post that I knew what he was saying initially, all that "Hey, Junge! Komm hier!" stuff. I was talking about the rest, like when he pulls Indy off the ground before Indy bites him.

NileQT87

yes, well, then our german is about the same.

the only other things i could pick out were "ist da", "herr", "frau/lein", "heil", and the crusade nazi lady's counting.

probably what everybody else understood.

Indy Jones Jr.

I think I can help you out.
Watched the scene and wrote down his lines:

hey dünner, komm her...
hey thin guy, come here (to me)

komm her...
come here

komm, kämpf...
come on, fight

junge, komm runter da...
boy, get down there

runter jetzt...
down now

komm her, steh auf...
come here, stand up

ich gib dir eins in die fresse da... sag ich dir...
I'll smash your face in... I tell you

ahhhhhhhhhh...
indy bites him

komm her... komm schon jetzt
come here, come on now

I don't understand what he's saying shortly before that propeller blade accident. Too many loud noises there.
Actually what I think he's saying is "give what you got..." (turns around, sees blade) ahhhh! - am not sure there.

Regarding his lines, I noticed it's really a poor dialogue, cut out the "come here" part and he says actually nothing at all. ;)
Even when being furious and super pissed, Germans do have the ability to curse and to insult their enemies in a more creative way... :D

oki9Sedo

Indy Jones Jr. said:
I think I can help you out.
Watched the scene and wrote down his lines:

hey dünner, komm her...
hey thin guy, come here (to me)

komm her...
come here

komm, kämpf...
come on, fight

junge, komm runter da...
boy, get down there

runter jetzt...
down now

komm her, steh auf...
come here, stand up

ich gib dir eins in die fresse da... sag ich dir...
I'll smash your face in... I tell you

ahhhhhhhhhh...
indy bites him

komm her... komm schon jetzt
come here, come on now

I don't understand what he's saying shortly before that propeller blade accident. Too many loud noises there.
Actually what I think he's saying is "give what you got..." (turns around, sees blade) ahhhh! - am not sure there.

Regarding his lines, I noticed it's really a poor dialogue, cut out the "come here" part and he says actually nothing at all. ;)
Even when being furious and super pissed, Germans do have the ability to curse and to insult their enemies in a more creative way... :D

You're a star Indy Jones Jr! I always wondered what he was saying, especially when he pulls Indy off the ground.