Temple of the Forbidden Eye

Pale Horse

Staff member
With a toddler...

...this ride is oft overlooked by yours truly...however I did manage this shot, from the exit queue.

4866619859_d1698e88cd_b.jpg

Dr.Sartorius

I think the ride could use an overhaul and a new design. I wouldn't mind replacing the jeep with mine cars and increasing the speed. Kind of like an indoor version of the Disneyland Paris ride.

I still love the queue line stuff though.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LtvP40X8L_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yxQfQh7hskg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ceeopoezbMQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mattzilla2010

Ahaha I have fun memories of that special. I saw it on TV when I was very little and it made me afraid to go on the ride for a few years. :p

indy dave

Here's an auction on May 14/15 for a model of the attraction.

You can download the PDF of the auction which includes a picture of the model here:
http://profilesinhistory.com/hollyw...ilia-auction-44-catalog-complete/viewdownload

Here's the text from the PDF on it:

86. WALT DISNEY IMAGINEERING INDIANA JONES
ATTRACTION MODEL FOR ?TEMPLE OF THE FORBIDDEN
EYE? AT DISNEYLAND. This extremely detailed model shows
the complete layout of the Indiana Jones attraction ride at
Disneyland from the boarding line through the maze of rooms
to the climactic ending! It features an actual working rolling
boulder room showing how the room moves and not the car.
The attention to detail down to every painting and stone, snake
and brick from every angle is complete. Three large sections
of the inner model are removable so you can see all levels that
the vehicle travels within the ride. It includes Jeep transports,
one is glued to the suspension bridge the others can be placed
throughout the model. The model has four gold leaf snakes on
each corner and a removable clear Plexiglas lid. Completely
hand-built and hand-painted requiring hundreds of hours of
assembly time. One was created and presented to director
Steven Spielberg and another was presented to George Lucas
when the ride was completed, this is the third which was
made for the artist?s personal collection. Included with this
is a collection of blueprint drawings from WDI showing the
layout of the ride and how many of the features and effects
function with the various areas. In addition, there is a 40 pg.
instruction guide showing all information on the creation
of the ride down to every little detail such as ride time, load
time, how much cement was used to create the structure, how
many snakes, skulls, etc. Interested bidders are urged to view
the model in person or view the video file on our website.
$10,000 ? $15,000

indy dave said:
Here's an auction on May 14/15 for a model of the attraction.

Here's the text from the PDF on it:

86. WALT DISNEY IMAGINEERING INDIANA JONES
ATTRACTION MODEL FOR ?TEMPLE OF THE FORBIDDEN
EYE? AT DISNEYLAND. This extremely detailed model shows
the complete layout of the Indiana Jones attraction ride at
Disneyland from the boarding line through the maze of rooms
to the climactic ending! It features an actual working rolling
boulder room showing how the room moves and not the car.
The attention to detail down to every painting and stone, snake
and brick from every angle is complete. Three large sections
of the inner model are removable so you can see all levels that
the vehicle travels within the ride. It includes Jeep transports,
one is glued to the suspension bridge the others can be placed
throughout the model. The model has four gold leaf snakes on
each corner and a removable clear Plexiglas lid. Completely
hand-built and hand-painted requiring hundreds of hours of
assembly time. One was created and presented to director
Steven Spielberg and another was presented to George Lucas
when the ride was completed, this is the third which was
made for the artist?s personal collection. Included with this
is a collection of blueprint drawings from WDI showing the
layout of the ride and how many of the features and effects
function with the various areas. In addition, there is a 40 pg.
instruction guide showing all information on the creation
of the ride down to every little detail such as ride time, load
time, how much cement was used to create the structure, how
many snakes, skulls, etc. Interested bidders are urged to view
the model in person or view the video file on our website.
$10,000 ? $15,000

The text is very misleading - there were 12 of these made (Lucas, Spielberg and the executives responsible for greenlighting the project). I own one purchased from the Disney Imagineer that built them (and paid a LOT less than $10k!).

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Forbidden Eye said:
I always assumed John Rhys-Davies reprised his role as Sallah for the attraction, though this video suggests otherwise.

Well he <I>did</I>, both in the film that appears in the queue and in the promotional tv special that appeared at the time the attraction opened. (Not that I'm telling <I>you</I> anything new here.) And I always assumed that the Sallah giving instructions at departure and arrival was him as well. Based on the fellow in the video being named "Bobby," and a blog post I found from another voice actor saying she had met the person who does Sallah on the ride while doing voice work for Kingdom Hearts II, and just the fellow's general appearance, it seems that it might be an actor named Robert Costanzo, as seen here:
Robert_Costanzo_300.jpg

That being said, the ears and head shape seem slightly off, and his Damon Runyon-esque voice, despite being a voice actor, means he might not be the guy. (His role in Kingdom Hearts II was Phil, the Danny DeVito character from Hercules.)

So file this one under "for further research."

As for the map, I spent a fair deal of time examining that in one of the better texts on Disney themed design, one called Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance. (There was a superb exhibit on that book at the Andy Warhol Museum about twelve years ago. I /think/ a Temple of the Forbidden Eye model might have been there. I'd have to find my photos, but I have no idea where they'd be. Here's a decently sized copy, but not huge:
Map2.jpg

And here's a really big one!

And here's something else to spend some time looking at.

cool indy

TEMPLE OF THE FORBIDDEN EYE Wallpapers and Screensavers

A few years ago before disneyland.com was fixed, the Indiana Jones and The Temple Of The Forbidden Eye site had downloads like the decoder card, wallpapers or the screensaver with the Mara idol. What happened after the website was fixed? I didn't see any downloads any more. If they still exist, where can I get them?:) :D :p ;) :cool: :rolleyes: :( :mad: :eek: :whip: (y) (n) :gun: :sleep: :hat: :confused: :sick: :eek: :dead:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
This site has some multimedia, three versions of the decoder card included.

decoder2.jpg

And there is, while I'm on the subject, a couple more hi-res versions of the Forbidden Eye map here...suitable for wallpaper.

As for the screensaver...I don't know.

(Oh, and threads merged.)

InexorableTash

Attila the Professor said:
And there is, while I'm on the subject, a couple more hi-res versions of the Forbidden Eye map here...suitable for wallpaper.

Yep, much better. Still not detailed enough to for printing. :( I'll keep my eye out for further auctions.

Forbidden Eye

Well he <I>did</I>, both in the film that appears in the queue and in the promotional tv special that appeared at the time the attraction opened. (Not that I'm telling <I>you</I> anything new here.)

That's why I typed "suggests" and not "confirms". ;)

And I always assumed that the Sallah giving instructions at departure and arrival was him as well. Based on the fellow in the video being named "Bobby," and a blog post I found from another voice actor saying she had met the person who does Sallah on the ride while doing voice work for Kingdom Hearts II, and just the fellow's general appearance, it seems that it might be an actor named Robert Costanzo...

So file this one under "for further research."

Well, I've done some further research(through Miceage.com), and I'm sorry to say you're wrong Atilla, it isn't Robert Costanzo, but Bob Joles.

Here's his IMDB page with his pic and credits

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Forbidden Eye said:
That's why I typed "suggests" and not "confirms". ;)

Naturally. But even so, only to some extent.

Forbidden Eye said:
Well, I've done some further research(through Miceage.com), and I'm sorry to say you're wrong Atilla, it isn't Robert Costanzo, but Bob Joles.

Here's his IMDB page with his pic and credits

Hah, yeah. Forgot to check on the Bobs.

I guess the real question is whether Sallah's speech has ever changed in the history of the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. Also whether anyone who's really good at recognizing voices could make out whether it's Rhys-Davies or not.

InexorableTash

Got off the ride at Disneyland literally 3 min ago - I'm sitting in front of the Jungle Cruise. I believe I have the answer.

The voice in the filmstrip definitely (still) sounds like John Rhys-Davies. However, you also hear Sallah when the cars are pulling out and pulling in ("Please remain seated..."). The voice for those doesn't sound at all like JRD; much higher pitched and the timing is off. Admittedly it could be tinnier speakers and poorer acoustics, but IMHO we heard better Sallah impressions on the IndyCast.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
InexorableTash said:
Got off the ride at Disneyland literally 3 min ago - I'm sitting in front of the Jungle Cruise. I believe I have the answer.

The voice in the filmstrip definitely (still) sounds like John Rhys-Davies. However, you also hear Sallah when the cars are pulling out and pulling in ("Please remain seated..."). The voice for those doesn't sound at all like JRD; much higher pitched and the timing is off. Admittedly it could be tinnier speakers and poorer acoustics, but IMHO we heard better Sallah impressions on the IndyCast.

Well, yeah, that was always the point in the ride where it was possible that Sallah wasn't him, along with prior to pulling back into the station. Still, having you think it sounds different in person counts for something. I'm still curious why it wasn't him in the first place though (if it wasn't, and if this other fellow didn't just replace him at some point when something of the audio changed).

I actually have access to pulling up those audio clips, but it's not as a permanent thing, it's part of a streaming request-based Disney theme parks radio station. Perhaps we can find a time when a number of us would be able to listen. (After all, trying to record them would just introduce another layer of trouble.)