Jurassic World

kongisking

TheFedora said:
Well, in the leaked map I linked to, it says 'Mosasaur Feeding show' in the legend, and has a big lagoon in the center of the map.

Oh, I saw it. But still, I'm giving my threat anyway. In case the movie tries any funny business... ;)

kongisking

Dr. Gonzo said:
Cuttle fish...

that's all I'm gonna say...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GDwOi7HpHtQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So cuttlefish-dinosaur hybrids would actually be quite terrifying... :D

Grizzlor

JP is a conflicted franchise. I think the concept when created by Chricton was that of horror, which we've seen in the last couple films and probably in this one too. However, that first Spielberg film, while it had plenty of horror/action/suspense, was something altogether different. It was classic Spielberg, awe-inspiring, like Jaws. Frankly I've found all JP sequels to be as dull as the Jaws sequels. The incredible feeling of seeing those dinosaurs for the first time is gone.

kongisking

Grizzlor said:
JP is a conflicted franchise. I think the concept when created by Chricton was that of horror, which we've seen in the last couple films and probably in this one too. However, that first Spielberg film, while it had plenty of horror/action/suspense, was something altogether different. It was classic Spielberg, awe-inspiring, like Jaws. Frankly I've found all JP sequels to be as dull as the Jaws sequels. The incredible feeling of seeing those dinosaurs for the first time is gone.

What this new movie needs to restore the quality that the first film had: a bigger emphasis on horror and suspense, and the return of relevant social commentary. Both elements were crucial to JP being a masterpiece of a roller-coaster that still had a brain. That's why it still endures, beside just being an effects landmark.

kongisking

Honestly, I might just shed some bodily fluids when we finally get a legitimate official trailer. It will be proof that a movie I've waited most of my life so far for is finally coming. Jurassic Park is practically part of my DNA as a movie lover, and it makes me so thrilled that the park is, indeed, open again. :D

Finn

Staff member
kongisking said:
Honestly, I might just shed some bodily fluids when we finally get a legitimate official trailer.
In the official's capacity as a moderator to this community, I hereby forbid you to disclose which orifice you're referring to.

Dr. Gonzo

kongisking said:
Honestly, I might just shed some bodily fluids when we finally get a legitimate official trailer.

Finn said:
In the official's capacity as a moderator to this community, I hereby forbid you to disclose which orifice you're referring to.

Isn't Ebola contracted that way?

806791.gif

curmudgeon

kongisking said:
It will be proof that a movie I've waited most of my life so far for is finally coming.

... and if the 11 years its been since the last sequel qualifies as most of your life, I hereby request you stop making me feel old.

TheFedora

curmudgeon said:
... and if the 11 years its been since the last sequel qualifies as most of your life, I hereby request you stop making me feel old.

It's been 13 years actually. And when the movie comes out it will be 14. Yes, I confess that's 2/3 of my life right there.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I read the John Sayles script going around, and think it could still make a nice prequel. It doesn't seem to be an event movie like what's coming next year, just a placeholder which (spoiler) kinda sets up Jurassic World, if Hammond was not being forthcoming about his intentions. Anyway, does anyone have a draft with pages 76 and 78 included or is there just the one copy out there? (Stupid Automatic Document Feeder, no more predictable than transfer RNA.)

TheFedora

Moedred said:
I read the John Sayles script going around, and think it could still make a nice prequel. It doesn't seem to be an event movie like what's coming next year, just a placeholder which (spoiler) kinda sets up Jurassic World, if Hammond was not being forthcoming about his intentions. Anyway, does anyone have a draft with pages 76 and 78 included or is there just the one copy out there? (Stupid Automatic Document Feeder, no more predictable than transfer RNA.)

Unfortunately, I checked my draft and it was missing these pages as well. Very odd. Anyway, it was this script, and some leaked images a while back which caused the project to get canned. Apparently the concept images that leaked for this took the ideas presented in the sayles script and took them to an extreme. Causing an online backlash so bad that the movie was canned, and delayed for script rewrites.

Found this from earlier on the thread. The JP fandom branded them 'Homocraptors' and roundly flamed it online. The sayles script is not this bad, but still has some odd issues, such as the renaming of Dilophosaurs, a random Kronosaurus, Pterasaurs apparently having flown as far as Switzerland, and a plot point that should have been instrumental (dinos on the mainland) being alluded to briefly then promptly dropped. And the infamous 'Dinos with guns' is the script that you read although here they are more like 'Dino soldiers' programmed to obey orders...

(last part which according to leaked info, is STILL in Jurassic World)

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Except for the excavaraptors, those concept images don't much resemble the dinosaurs from Sayles' script. There were writers before and after him in 2004, and it seems this concept was abandoned last decade, not from recent internet reaction.

It does solve the problem of how to motivate smart people to go near dinosaurs. Umtimately though, the question was probably whether Universal wanted another B-movie like Jurassic 3 and modest returns, or something bigger.