who wants a Raiders game?

indydude

that is a great idea! now let's talk about the Cairo level like what to do and such, this level will be quite different from the movie untill you reach the part were you are attacked by the swordsman, it should start out with a cinematic (of course) that shows Indy talking to Sallah, and then you start walking through the town, this is were you get to be able to interact with other people like buy things and talk etc... let's hear some more ideas.

swords

Well I can't think too concisively at the moment, I'll report back soon with more ideas when my head is clear. But keep working on the Cairo parts, and don't forget to add Marion.

There should be at least one stage where Indy goes on a desperate search, toppling over baskets in search of Marion.

indydude

I just watched the movie again last night and I watched the Cairo market scene extra closely, there would be some cool improvised weapons like frying pans, and kind of like the previous level you have to protect Marion, as for the swordsman I think you should fight him like the original plan, let's hear some more ideas.

indydude

oh, I got another one, when you have to find the basket that Marion is in you have to pull down tons of baskets from the street people, but there are some street people that are kinda big and mean looking and if you take their baskets they will turn around and fight you, and the disadvantage about having that happen is not only because they hurt you it is also because it holds you up so you lose the people who actualy have the basket with Marion. any more ideas?

indydude

Spohlso made a good point on my other thread titled "who wants a ToD game" that we need to finish up this game before we move on to ToD game, so let's get this thread started again so we can move on, any more ideas for Cairo?

spohlso

How about Marion being in a different basket everytime you play (that way you can't just run up to the same basket each time) and finding her is the trigger for the Swordsman's entrance. If you're fast enough you can end that scenario like Indy did in the movie (therwise you have to deal with the whole fight scene.)

He would sort of (but not quite) be a 'boss' for that level (bosses have become WAAAY too cliche in video games.) Finishing off him triggers the truck. Killing the driver just earns you points (after all, you can't just rescue Marion at that point either way.)

After the truck you will have one of two cutscenes (that are pretty much the same) you go get drunk because Marion's dead, or you go get drunk because Marion's been capture. Either way, it's up to Sallah's kids to save you and then off to Tanis!

spohlso

I just had an idea for Tanis.

Just as with the others, it would use the Spohlso patented "Randomap" concept to keep each game ineteresting. Plus, to diverge from the movie a bit, you have to sneak around the Nazi camp looking for clues as to which mound the 'map-room' is in. (Maybe look at Nazi documents or work orders or such.) Yhen you have to sneak around to find Marion. You have to time it right so you can ungag her without getting caught. She (not Sallah) will know what time the sun hits the map room (she over heard Nazis talking about it.) Then the game would utilize some sort of time-passing-technique to allow you to wait for the proper moment to sneak a peak at the location of the Well of Souls.

Any one got any ideas for a 'getting together a bunch of guys to dig where they're not supposed to" strategy for the Well of Souls?

indydude

that sounds great, Marion should always be in a different basket. and when the truck comes the machine gunner is there to distract you and your mission is to finish off the driver before the truck escapes. I think the Tanis level should have alot of side missions like how did Indy steal that disguise? maybe you have to use stealth to creep into the dig site and then find a lone worker and wait untill he goes into a tent were you silently duke him out and steal his uniform, how does that sound? let's hear some more plans.

indydude

spohlso said:
I just had an idea for Tanis.

Just as with the others, it would use the Spohlso patented "Randomap" concept to keep each game ineteresting. Plus, to diverge from the movie a bit, you have to sneak around the Nazi camp looking for clues as to which mound the 'map-room' is in. (Maybe look at Nazi documents or work orders or such.) Yhen you have to sneak around to find Marion. You have to time it right so you can ungag her without getting caught. She (not Sallah) will know what time the sun hits the map room (she over heard Nazis talking about it.) Then the game would utilize some sort of time-passing-technique to allow you to wait for the proper moment to sneak a peak at the location of the Well of Souls.

Any one got any ideas for a 'getting together a bunch of guys to dig where they're not supposed to" strategy for the Well of Souls?

that sounds great, I got a good idea, when you have to get a team together you have to talk to workers that look trusty and maybe find some money to pay them to work for you.

let's talk more about the map room, this will be a good puzzel.

indydude

Spohlso's idea about you having to find nazi documents to locate the map room sounds great, but after you have aquired them you have to find the map room itself, first off you need to find a rope, so look around the camp for a rope, when you have one go to the map room and solve the puzzel, when you walk up to the model of the city it changes the camera angle to show the floor with the holes in it, maybe by hitting a button it chages to Indy's diary so you can get hints on how to solve the puzzel, but there is a time limit, remember that it has to be a certain time of day so you gotta hurry! let's hear some more ideas.

swords

hmmm, when you stick the staff into the wrong hole, snakes fall on you and eat you alive! Well maybe not, I don't know how elaborate we can get in the map room though, its really just a mission of getting the staff into the hole.

I like the sun idea, how would we go about doing that? Perhaps the screen could have a clock running down(3:00 minutes for instance) while Indy has to go through trials trying to collect 'somethin', but I don't know.

If he gets to his destination under three minutes, then great, if he doesn't, well, I guess a nazi flag falls on your head.

indydude

maybe if you fail to complete it in time a cinematic will show Indy being captured by the nazis who are kinda suspicious.

I got a got a good idea for what happens next, you need to find the little telescope thing and look around in first person untill you find the digging site, it will be harder to find then it was in the movie. what next?

spohlso

Next, you dig. Once you get into the 'Well of Souls' it's a bit of a puzzle game. You have to figure out where in the room the Ark is. Then you have to figure out how to spray gas to burn a path through the snakes. The you and Sallah grab the ark. Of course that just leads to a cutscene of the Ark being taken and Marion getting tossed in.

Then you have to study the walls to figure out which one looks weakest (so you can crash a statue through it.) After that, the 'Well' winds up being a lot bigger than it was in the movie and you have to find your way out of a maze of tunnels to get to the airstrip.

Here you fight a bunch of Nazis finally ending up with the big bald guy. The movies actually lend themselves to having a level boss with Pat Roach here. It could be a really cool fight. You have to take on Pat Roach on and around a slowly rotating plane. Marion fires at approaching Nazis, so you also have to worry about stepping into the line of fire. Speaking of fire, this level has a built in time limit. Finish up with Roach and get Marion out before the fire reaches the plane. The movie itself provides for an interesting and exciting level.

indydude

this would be a really cool part, remember how Indy throws sand in Pat's eyes, maybe you can do that also, there will be little patches of sand that look a little different, when you run up to one of thos pathes and hit the grab button Indy picks up a handfull of sand that you can use to temporarilly blind him. before you fight Pat Roach you have to kill that little mechanic that has a rench (which you could use also) he will be kind of hard to get you warmed up for the big brawl. once the big mechanic is plane paint you have to rescue Marion before it blows. Now you have to meet up with Sallah and find the horse.

spohlso

THe horse part could be real cool! You run through the camp, dodging workers, jumping over conveyer builts and whatever. The controls could make this more interesting. Instead of controlling movement directly, you would have to control it like a real horse. One kick gets it moving, but if you never do anything it will eventually stop. Several kicks in quick succesion will get you increased speed. Steering and jumping would have to be standard (otherwise it would just be a very frustrating experience.)

Once you catch up to the truck (while dodging machine gun fire from the trailing jeep) the game will get REALLY interesting. You have to drive the truck (standard driving level) BUT you also have to fight nazis, get rid of the trailing jeep, bash motorcycles and try to get Belloq and crew in the leading jeep.

Once you've done all that, you have to find Omar's with enough lead time to hide from the nazis, otherwise it's game over!

spohlso

That's it for me for a few days. I'm flying to California tommorow. I won't be near a computer again until next Tuesday.

I'm going to Disneyland on Thursday. I'll actually get to look at the truck in question in person! (It's right outside the Indiana Jones ride!)

indydude

this part would very well be one of the funnest parts in the game, when you jump on to the truck the first thing you need to do is hold off the motorcycles and jeeps, when they are finished the nazi soldiers start coming out the back, all you need to do is brush them against the trees to knock them off, but you better do it fast because if they get into the drivers seat they can start causing damage (there is a health meter for Indy and the truck) there will be a cutscene that shows Indy being shot in the arm, once you dispatch that little booger another cutscene shows the big bruiser climbing on the top of the truck and throwing Indy out the front, now is the hard part, do not let him ram you against Beloq's jeep, now you have to climb under the jeep and quickly whip a pipe on the bottom and climb back up into the truck, if you don't get into the truck fast enough it starts hurting Indy, now finish off the nazi who threw you out and ram Beloq off course and go too the hiding place that Sallah set for you, you have now beaten that level. Any more ideas?

indydude

spohlso said:
That's it for me for a few days. I'm flying to California tommorow. I won't be near a computer again until next Tuesday.

I'm going to Disneyland on Thursday. I'll actually get to look at the truck in question in person! (It's right outside the Indiana Jones ride!)

cool, tell us some more ideas when you get back.