Raiders 7th on the list of best movies filmed in Hawaii

Johan

Movies.com rates "Raider's of the Lost Ark" at the 7th best movie filmed in Hawaii with "South Pacific" grabbing the number one spot.

Click here for the full list

Also at movies.com KOTCS and Indiana Jones Lego take up spots: 13 and 14 on the "Top 40 Must's for 2008"

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Ehh...the one thing I'll say in it's defense is that time actually spent in Hawaii ought to play some role, as does, I suppose, being set in Hawaii. This accounts for a somewhat setbound "From Here to Eternity" being the definitive account of Pearl Harbor (yes, even over the film by that name) and for pictures of perhaps not so much quality that use the physical setting well.

Blue Jay

Kingsley said:
Pearl Harbor deserves much more!!

In my opinion Pearl Harbor was the worst movie i have ever seen.
It was historically incorrect and the love story was so over the top, it made me vomit across the seat. Did he survive or did he not, OHHH COME ON.
This is not a Schindlers List....
But special effects were okay :p

There are a lot of old movies on the list, which i think are okay in earning the top pots, even if i don't know them, i guess they are much better than PH.

NileQT87

also take in point the history of some of these films and their affect on hawaiian tourism... blue hawaii is historically known for its affect on hawaiian tourism in particular! which is why it is so high. i'd imagine the same with south pacific.

elvis and blue hawaii is as much hawaii as don ho, aloha oe, luaus, hula dancers, hula dancers on dashboards, hawaiian shirts and leis. he did not one, but three films in hawaii. his placement on the list there is a historical one. can't help falling in love, one of his most famous and iconic songs, is from that 1961 film. another historical reason why blue hawaii is placed so high on this list is his benefit concerts for the u.s.s. arizona memorial and the aloha from hawaii concert, which was a benefit for the kui lee cancer fund and watched by 1.4 BILLION people worldwide in 1973. again, blue hawaii is there for pure historical reasons. also, blue hawaii is very nearly a travelogue of the islands and really promotes hawaiian tourism--which was probably at its iconic peak in this era.

pearl harbor is only there because of its name and subject, not the actual film's historical effect on the islands or its mediocre to lukewarm critical reception.

raiders of the lost ark made the list with literally about 5 minutes of footage shot there that actually makes it into the movie (the interiors are on stages). that's amazing on its own and speaks for the popularity of the film and the iconic beginning of the film.

jurassic park is a good example of a film that really deserves its spot because of the way it predominantly shows hawaii.

never seen the julie andrews movie or the other pearl harbor film, so i can't comment there. actually, i haven't seen either pearl harbor film, but i can't stomach afleck enough to really try the newer one.

if any of them don't deserve to be on the list, it's raiders of the lost ark simply due to how much of hawaii is actually displayed. it is there because of just how classic it is and the fact that the brief hawaiian bit of footage is at least memorable. kingdom of the crystal skull will likely be more worthy as a film that has more to do with the landscapes of hawaii. if there is one place that the filmmakers visited which was represented the least, it was hawaii, imo. sri lanka, venice, jordan and tunisia were shown much more prominently than hawaii, imo.

Last edited:
I am overjoyed that Blue Crush and Pearl Harbour are on the list. Two of my favourite movies of all time. That scene in Blue Crush with the surfer running toward the water from the beach. Superb. My other favourite scene is the one with the surfer running from the water to the beach.

oki9Sedo

Blackadder said:
Raiders deserved higher place on the list. :mad:

As Attila pointed out, I reckon the screen time set in Hawaii (or filmed there) has as much to do with it as the quality of the film.

Flannery10

Come on, there are better films than Pearl Harbour, agreed, but it's really not as bad as many people say it is.

"From here to Eternity" (2nd) though is a very great film and won an Oscar for Best Picture in the early 50s (53 I think). Great film with Burt Lancaster, Deborah Kerr and Frank Sinatra. Really deserved the award.

Jurassic Park definetely deserves to be on the list, but not before Raiders. The placement of Hawaii encourages me to watch the movie some time, since I've read the Michener novel recently and it was a great book. Another Michener book (South Pacific) is in 1st place. So, I guess I will watch that movie too some time.

Since I have never seen, the films in spot 1,3 and 6 I can't say how good they really are, but nevertheless Raiders deserves to be in the first 3!!!