Deleted scenes

Stoo

JayDee said:
Another chance to see some eggs, Stoo (y)
Heh-heh!:D It's a chance, JayDee, but I highly doubt it.:( A certain feeling tells me that the Cairo Swordsman scene will be the only deleted scene included on the Blu-ray set.
JuniorJones said:
With a bit of magic dust...
Nice, JJ!(y) I have some special magic dust that will make it even better.;)

Palaceslave_82

Damn, there's so much of "Doom" I want to see, ( mostly stuff from the Kahn novel, but some of it which has been verified as filmed).

The additional dialogue when Indy is menacing Willie with the fork in the club, which has been glimpsed in the making of..( maybe Willie spilling Nurhachi's ashes)

Willie's little monologue about leaving home to be a singer during the depression,( I have a feeling the bit about her magician grandfather replaced this as a moment of attempted character development)

The trio singing on their elephants during the trek to Pankot

The roast boar with suckling babies brought out among the other gruesome delights

Chattar Lal meeting back up with Willie after she escapes the temple for help,( and Lal's convincing of Blumburtt that Willie is an opium-using dope fiend!)

The kids crossing the bridge over the lava pit to safety ( recently pictured)

Anything else that hasn't seen the light of day.

More material from Raiders would be excellent too, but the swordsman in the Cairo market will be awesome to see. ( I seem to recall a long ago mention of a deleted scene where Marion was bitten by a snake in the well, possibly unfilmed ,from an early draft). I wish Spielberg wasn't so ridiculous about keeping his deleted footage locked up. Nothing shows the evolution of a film better, even if the presence of those scenes in the finished product would technically be a mistake.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:

I'm expecting big things...

sooty.jpg

Stoo

Palaceslave_82 said:
The trio singing on their elephants during the trek to Pankot.
We've seen a couple of photos of the singing but I'd love to know if this is actually a deleted scene or just the cast fooling around during filming. Anyone have info? Insight? Opinons?:confused:
JuniorJones said:
I'm expecting big things...
Big surprises come in small packages.;)

russds

Did anybody notice in the beginning of Raiders when Belloq takes the idol from Indy, he's holding Indy's whip? I just watched this scene again, and notice there seems to be some delete footage showing Indy handing over his whip. I always thought it was strange how Belloq first was expecting indy's gun, I've always thought why didn't he first take the Idol. Now i wonder if the scene was originally shot with Indy, individually handing over his gun, his whip, then the idol, one by one. The scene would have a different feel to it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I just today noticed the whip in Belloq's hand, and found that quite interesting.

b57e9172.jpg

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
We've seen a couple of photos of the singing but I'd love to know if this is actually a deleted scene or just the cast fooling around during filming. Anyone have info? Insight? Opinons?:confused:

Well, the scene made it into the novelization, so it's obviously a "real" scene in at least that one version of the story; for there to also be photos from the production, I assume it has to have been an actual scene intended for the movie at one point (whether or not it was completed).

I've sometimes wondered about the novelizations. On a number of occasions I've first encountered a line or a moment or a scene or whatever in them that wasn't in the movie, and assumed it was the author's invention, but later learned a version of the line or scene was actually planned for the movie, and perhaps even filmed and completed, only to be deleted from the final release. Indy's line in after the dinner in Pankot Palace about the bizarre food making him wonder what the people there really were is another such moment; the Complete Making of book establishes it as having been written for the movie. Another such moment was in the Last Crusade novelization, when young Indy boards the circus train; he falls onto and is cushioned by a circus fat lady (and briefly encounters a number of other human circus performers). Again, The Complete Making of shows us this was actually planned for the movie, not just conjured up by Rob MacGregor (though I don't know whether it was actually filmed).

russds said:
and notice there seems to be some delete footage showing Indy handing over his whip. I always thought it was strange how Belloq first was expecting indy's gun, I've always thought why didn't he first take the Idol. Now i wonder if the scene was originally shot with Indy, individually handing over his gun, his whip, then the idol, one by one. The scene would have a different feel to it.

Nice eye, I wouldn't call it a "deleted scene" as much as I'd call it an "edited moment"...

...like the bit in the Marhala where Belloq tells Indy the Hovitos didn't let him have the Idol either, an interesting bit but most likely distracting and unnecessary.

He probably made another comment about Barranca...maybe Sapito!

Last edited:

russds

Stoo said:
I checked the "Best of Lucasfilm Archives" and there are indeed more storyboards (8 in total). Indy & Shorty peer down into the sacrificial pit as the cage rises and after Lal's burnt skeleton appears, Mola Ram collects all 3 Sankara Stones.

Hey Stoo, any Chance you might be able to scan these in? I would love to see them. Or if any one knows if they are purhaps online, or on this forum already. Thanks!
-Russ

russds said:
Hey Stoo, any Chance you might be able to scan these in? I would love to see them. Or if any one knows if they are purhaps online, or on this forum already. Thanks!
-Russ

Post 68 of this thread...

5015345325_b9e491c088_b.jpg

Hell, here's a photo of them filming the deleted scene:

4985984169_955e5ff1c5_o.jpg

russds

Rocket Surgeon said:
Post 68 of this thread...

Right, i saw those, (they are great), but I understood Stoo saying there are "more storyboards (8 in total). Indy & Shorty peer down into the sacrificial pit as the cage rises and after Lal's burnt skeleton appears, Mola Ram collects all 3 Sankara Stones." Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but I would love to see those other story boards.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Heh-heh!:D It's a chance, JayDee, but I highly doubt it.:( A certain feeling tells me that the Cairo Swordsman scene will be the only deleted scene included on the Blu-ray set.

Better than this?

cut.jpg

rare3.jpg

rare5.jpg

rare7.jpg

and for good measure...

rare2.jpg

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
That's right, you WILL! ..by a "Lucasfilm Insider".

That's what I've been told. I'm breaking the Omertà.

rocket surgeon said:
Great shots...should repost them in the Rare Photos Thread. They could use a few for a change!

Great idea. I'll drop the watermark, do them at full size then I can buy the prints on web!?(y) (y)

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
Well, the scene made it into the novelization, so it's obviously a "real" scene in at least that one version of the story; for there to also be photos from the production, I assume it has to have been an actual scene intended for the movie at one point (whether or not it was completed).
Thanks for pointing that out, Crack.:hat: It's been so long since I've read the novelization! Just checked it out and the part would have come right before Willie falls off of the elephant.

Willie sings, "Anything Goes" (in English).
Indy sings, "Home on the Range".
Shorty sings a song about Shanghai. I did a google search of the lyrics and couldn't find any match. Anyone know what song this is?:confused:

---
The golden sun is rising,
Shining in the green forest,
Shining through the city of Shanghai,
The city of Shanghai,
I love the city,
I love the sun...
russds said:
Wow, those are sweet, where did they come from?
I don't know about the 3rd & 4th ones, but the other 3 are in the "Complete Making of" book. (Thanks for posting those, Junior, but you put your watermark on the wrong images!:p)

Anyway, Russ, I'll scan the storyboards of Chatter Lal's death sequence and add them here.:)

russds

Stoo said:
I don't know about the 3rd & 4th ones, but the other 3 are in the "Complete Making of" book. (Thanks for posting those, Junior, but you put your watermark on the wrong images!:p)
Oh nice. I've got to get that book, keeping putting off. I believe 3 and 4 are blow ups of the 2nd. The expressions, and everything are the same.

Stoo said:
Anyway, Russ, I'll scan the storyboards of Chatter Lal's death sequence and add them here.:)
Nice, thanks!

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
russds said:
Oh nice. I've got to get that book, keeping putting off. I believe 3 and 4 are blow ups of the 2nd. The expressions, and everything are the same.

Correct!

stoo said:
(Thanks for posting those, Junior, but you put your watermark on the wrong images!)

Nope. I did it to protect the main image from the magpies.:p

Stoo

russds said:
I believe 3 and 4 are blow ups of the 2nd. The expressions, and everything are the same.
Right, indeed. You have a good eye for observational detail, Russ, and I like that!:hat:

As requested:

DeletedDoom_Lal_01.jpg

JuniorJones said:
I did it to protect the main image from the magpies.:p
Everytime you write, "magpie", I get Rossini's, "The Thieving Magpie", stuck playing in my head.:D

reinthal

I wonder, do you guys know of the missing sequence at the start of ToD when Indy is holding up the Peacock's Eye and he says - half under his breath - "Remy, you're never gonna believe this!" ;)