Kenner Indiana Jones without Jacket?

Ferant316

Hey all, my first post here happy to find this place after 20+ years collecting and hoarding IJ and SW memorabilia finally a place to talk with other fans/collectors.

Anyways, the main thing I am posting about is to find out if anyone has ever seen an Indiana Jones Kenner figure without his leather jacket. It almost looks like a combination of Map Room Indy without the robe but with regular Indy's head. Anyways, I had seen one back in the early 90's that a local toy dealer had, and he told me it was a prototype for "Cairo Indy" according to someone he knew from Kenner and of course wanted good money for it. Whether that's true or not I don't know, and I feel if they had planned more figures that some information about them would have come out at some point and that was all I heard about them.

Well almost 20 years later I came across one on eBay for a good enough price to gamble on and now I'm trying to find out more details about this figure. Has anyone here seen one of these before? Or anyone know where these came from? I can upload a picture in the next couple days, but until then if you search completed listing on eBay for "Indiana Jones w/out Jacket" you should find it.

There aren't any on the AFA Population report so I am not sure if that means it is that scarce or a custom or something in between. Either way it is a new prized piece of my collection just for the reason of being different.

inky_skin

I'd wager it is a custom - I've made both Cairo and Temple of Doom Indys from a combination of the stock figure, the Map Room version and Monkey Man. Proceed with caution - I don't believe there were any unproduced figures in the Kenner line - prototype or otherwise (although the LJN Temple of Doom line did have a couple).

Any other vintage collectors have some intel ?

Henry W Jones

I think Inky is right. I have seen that figure on Ebay as well and many other vintage customs that were never made. Most say in the listing description.......

"Custom made 3 3/4" size Professor Indiana Jones action figure, sealed in a custom made vintage style packaging.

This figure and packaging has been carefully crafted and is intended as a novelty piece for the adult collector. It is not meant to be played with.

Please understand what you're buying and ask any questions prior to purchasing."

Pulled from.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-3-3-4-Professor-Indiana-Jones-vintage-Kenner-style-MOC-ROTLA-Raiders-Ark-/270938421391?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1530388f

inky_skin said:
I don't believe there were any unproduced figures in the Kenner line - prototype or otherwise (although the LJN Temple of Doom line did have a couple).

I have never seen these. Which figures were they?

Willie and Shorty are shown on the card backs for the LJN line; I've never seen anyone show an actual photo of any prototype though. If I'm wrong I'd love to see them (and then I'd have to chase them) ;)

les

Henry W Jones

throwmetheidol said:
Willie and Shorty are shown on the card backs for the LJN line; I've never seen anyone show an actual photo of any prototype though. If I'm wrong I'd love to see them (and then I'd have to chase them) ;)

les

I had Indy and Mola Ram as a kid and remember Willie and Shorty on the back card but come to think of it I never saw them either.

Palaceslave_82

There are pics of LJN Willie and Shorty if you google "Willie prototype"...and during an on-line interview with an un-named LJN employee done a few years ago, she claimed to have them in her possession, (if memory serves, they are "finished", but never went into production). Shame,I'd love to have them. I know a few years ago on a custom thread here, a guy did his interpretation of what the Willie fig would have looked like in-hand. But I wish Hasbro had done her in her traveling outfit, (Indy's tux,and her heels),and Shorty in the cotton pants and jacket he wore in the first half , (few seem to realize he in fact wore two different outfits during the course of the film).

I'm glad I wasn't old enough to chase down the LJN figs in the 80s; I would have had a heart attack if two of my fave characters, (Willie and Shorty) were shown on the key art,but never offered for sale...and that mine car with track...

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
From a previous thread....

wsfljn2.jpg

...obviously neither Milder or Rooney!

Last edited:
Palaceslave_82 said:
There are pics of LJN Willie and Shorty if you google "Willie prototype"...and during an on-line interview with an un-named LJN employee done a few years ago, she claimed to have them in her possession, (if memory serves, they are "finished", but never went into production).

Like I said - no photos have ever been shown other than the LJN 1984 Toy Fair catalog. And if she has the 'finished' figure then I wonder why no photo accompanied the interview (or have ever been seen). My guess has always been that the only prototypes are the 2 shown on the card back -- and that they have been lost/destroyed over time.

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
throwmetheidol said:
Like I said -

Really? I thought you said this...

throwmetheidol said:
They don't exist; I have never seen a single example of them being created. And they certainly weren't for sale in the 90's - the line was a bust in 1984 and LJN wasn't producing toys in the 90's

Anyway...here's some more nice pictures of Bette and Mickey joined by Dom Deluise, Griffen Dunne and Alain Delon.

LJN and their wacky 80s lines...

001_big.jpg

I think it maybe a little premature to discard their existence...

Last edited:
JuniorJones said:
I think it maybe a little premature to discard their existence...

Ummmm.... those aren't pictures. They're line drawings.

No one has ever shown a photograph of having those 2 figures in their possession (and I've been looking since 1984). They only show up in the LJN 1984 Toy Fair catalog (along with the Mine Cart track). Feel free to point me to a photo (or dealer) that has ever had these in hand.

Premature? I think after looking for 25+ years that is hardly accurate :)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
throwmetheidol said:
Ummmm.... those aren't pictures. They're line drawings.

Thanks. I was a bit confused as to what they were! Still, it's nice to have a representation of what we are taking about.

throwmetheidol said:
Premature? I think after looking for 25+ years that is hardly accurate :)

Like I said - Premature.

I.M.J.

Ferant316 said:
Hey all, my first post here happy to find this place after 20+ years collecting and hoarding IJ and SW memorabilia finally a place to talk with other fans/collectors.

Anyways, the main thing I am posting about is to find out if anyone has ever seen an Indiana Jones Kenner figure without his leather jacket. It almost looks like a combination of Map Room Indy without the robe but with regular Indy's head.

I have one, but it's a custom from the Kenner line. The nice thing though is that it's a perfect blend for the line because I just did a simple headswap of the regular Indy with the Cairo Indy as you described. Here's a pic, see the top left shelf:

IJCase.jpg

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Last edited:
JuniorJones said:
Premature, yes indeed. Hopefully Mary will get her price. No collection would be complete without them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Indiana-J...pes-LJN-Toys-1984-Harrison-Ford-/251071633790

(Just to someone outthere in the ether. It was all true!!)

While I'm not sure why you feel some special need to take pot-shots all the time, I stated there we're no figures in existence. I didn't state there were no proto-types (since we've ALL seen the photo shots in the LJN catalog). So I stand by what I said - no (produced/sample) figures have ever been offered for sale.

Montana Smith

This is what we already knew:

INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM (LJN)

This was a very short-lived set. Figures of Indiana Jones, Mola Ram, and the Giant Thuggee are known to exist. Short Round and Willie Scott are advertised on the back of the blister cards, but the figures were never produced. A prototype mine-car Impossibles set with molded-in figures was also made.

Tomart's Price Guide to Action Figure Collectables, Carol Markowski, Bill Sikora & T.N. Tumbusch, 1992.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
throwmetheidol said:
While I'm not sure why you feel some special need to take pot-shots all the time

I don't. I like to ask questions and look a little deeper but if it massages your ego to think that I am then I am always more that happy to oblige.

This offer, as always, extends to all other members. Just to be fair.

throwmetheidol said:
I stated there we're no figures in existence.
I didn't state there were no proto-types (since we've ALL seen the photo shots in the LJN catalog). So I stand by what I said - no (produced/sample) figures have ever been offered for sale.

I said your were "premature" in dismissing the notion that figures existed 'in any form' and with 'good humour' riffed on that. Nothing more. The figures exist. End of.