Forrestal

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Who is this "other" adventurer?
All we know is that he was good; very, very good. And that "he cashed in" at the Temple of the Chachapoyan Warriors.
He was evidently good enough to earn Indy's respect, but what was it that he did?
Speculation anyone?

(including Forrestal in a TV show with a mid-twenties Indy might be a cool idea)

monkey

Hmmm, very interesting Aaron.

Might have to bring this Forrestal to life in an Indy story...........

Might be fun since no one seems to have utilized this character yet. Lots of potential.

Raffey

Aaron H said:
Who is this "other" adventurer?
All we know is that he was good; very, very good. And that "he cashed in" at the Temple of the Chachapoyan Warriors.
He was evidently good enough to earn Indy's respect, but what was it that he did?
Speculation anyone?

(including Forrestal in a TV show with a mid-twenties Indy might be a cool idea)

Well, we know what Indy says about him posthumously but to ?cash it in? at the first booby trap is a pretty stupid move for someone who is good--very, very good. :dead:

Makes you wonder if Belloq had a something to do with his death.

Joe Brody

Great topic.

. . . . and don't forget that Indiana Jones states that Forrestal was a competitor. After Indy makes the cashed-in observation, Satipo asks if Forrestal was a friend and Indy responds by saying that Forrestal was a competitor.

The competitor statement is one of the great facts that confirms that the Indiana Jones character was meant to be more grave robber than academic archaeologist. A true academic professional shouldn't first think of an academic peer as a competitor, but a grave robber on the other hand . . .

As to Forrestal's actual character/personality, I guess it's wide open for speculation. I don't think the corpse gives many clues - - I think he's a fair-haired caucasian male in his '30's. For some reason, I would say that he was a man of the world type . . . a silky thief type -- a Brit perhaps -- that could be played by Jude Law. Someone polished -- but a faker -- who (at first) gets the girl singing at the bar . . . . until, that is, his true colors are revealed. In other words, a rival and not just a competitor.

Indydan13

Or Forrestal did not actually die and it was just a random guy that Indy deducted was Forrestal considering he was the last person to go to the temple. Forrestal was actually following Indy solving problems for him, thus saving his life.

For Example:
Raiders: Kept the wall from closing until after Indy got out of the chasm (S. American Temple)

T.O.D: Somehow kept the lava from frying Willie even though she was closer to it than the "Um Num Shi Vi" guy and yet he died and she didn't

LC: Shot the Machine Gun-Toting-Brotherhood guy's machine gun thus not killing Indy and he magically turned the petroleum filled whatever into water that was clear enough to see through and didn't boil even though there was a heckuva lot of fire.

Deadlock

Hey, I know! How about an entire movie based on Forrestal? We could call it "Finding Forrestal"... and get Sean Connery to be in it... it'd be brilliant. :D

Indydan13

Lemme guess, a young and talented "archeologist" comes and meets Forrest"tal" and shows him how to live again. However, what would Connery be exactly? He's already Jones Sr. and he can't be the young archeologist unless Forrestal is immortal and has lived for hundreds of years that would make Connery young then.

monkey

How about "Forrestal Gump"?

In this movie the spikes won't actually kill Forrestal, they will just wound him on the "But.....awks".

BlackWhskyBlaze

I'd like to know why Forrestal's body hadn't been disposed of when the trap was reset; but then again, some make up artist might have been out of a job if this were the case.

BlackWhskyBlaze

USS Forestall

On July 29, 1967, aircraft carrier USS Forestall encountered a "slight weapons malfunction" when an aircraft being readied for a mission accidentally launched a ZUNI rocket on deck. The ZUNI rocket struck another aircraft and ignited a fuel fire causing a chain reaction of bomb detonations. The explosion thus ruptured the flight deck and burning fuel spilled into the lower levels of the ship. Numerous aircrafts were pushed overboard to prevent the cause of any more explosions, resulting in $$$$$$$ worth of damage. This unfortunate tragedy ended killing 134 people and wounding 161.

Perhaps the name that we all know so well as the mysterious competitor of our dear friend Dr. Jones (The Chester Copperpot of "Raiders") is meant to be a tribute to all of the lives lost on this unfortunate ship.

who knows...

monkey

Very interesting point. The USS Forrestall, or "USS Forrest Fire". Anyone who's been in the Navy has seen that training film many times. The anatomy of a disaster at sea.

One of the people who narrowly escaped death on that day by leaping to the deck just in time from a flaming airplane was none other than Senator John McCain.

Neolithic

I tend to think of Forrestal as a competitor from a rival museum.

A true academic professional shouldn't first think of an academic peer as a competitor, but a grave robber on the other hand . . .

I wouldn't say a competitive nature is evidence against academic professionalism- but it's interesting that the first thing Indy says when he arrives at the entrance is a reference to Forrestal- it certainly increases dramatic tension.

Did Indy know Forrestal was dead when he arrived at the gates to the temple? He speaks in past tense, so I'd assume he does- but he may just think he is missing- not confirmed until Indy finds his remains.

If this is the case- how long has the search for the Idol been going on?
Did Indy only follow Forrestal's steps because he had known he had died in the jungle and he'd have no competition?

I tend to imagine reports being published in newspapers of famed archaeologist Forrestal being lost in the South American wilderness- Indy sees his chance and goes for it.

It's even possible that the guides Indy uses are the very ones that Forrestal had used. You could even imagine Forrestal's abandoned room, somewhere in some town in South America- his notes scattered on the floor... Indy finds the map...

I don't know... it's definately an interesting topic!

Neolithic

It could even be that they were contemporaries at University- the competition starting there.

Or perhaps Forrestal went to Princeton- and thus the reason why they named a campus after him... well not really... :rolleyes: