Uncharted: The Games

Ska

Nurhachi1991 said:
Looks awesome! I remember the Nazi U!

What are your PSN names?

skabatula

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date in the world of Uncharted, Le Sab! I unFORTUN(E)ately haven't played any Uncharted for a while. I've been into the Assassin's Creed games lately.

Le Saboteur

Nurhachi1991 said:
Looks awesome! I remember the Nazi U!

What are your PSN names?

You can probably find me under rdbell25. Don't know if that's my PSN thing or not.

Ska said:
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date in the world of Uncharted, Le Sab! I unFORTUN(E)ately haven't played any Uncharted for a while. I've been into the Assassin's Creed games lately.

Clever! I also have AC Deux, but haven't played much of it yet. I only really bought it so I could run around Venice.

But back to the World of Uncharted. Gamasutra is reporting that Among Thieves has smashed the original Uncharted's total sales. In roughly 3-years of existence, Drake's Fortune sold around 2.7-million copies, while Among Thieves has eclipsed the 3.5-million mark in just six months! That's great news for all fans of the genre, and we'll see if it can break 5-million by years end.

150 awards and counting, too!

uncharted2a1.jpg

Le Saboteur

Ska said:
And I think we can all agree it deserves each and every one of them.

Absolutely! Though, the WGA award was something of a surprise simply because I didn't know they honored writing in games!

DLC is out today! If you'd like to check out some of the details on the maps before purchasing, head over to Naughty Dog's Flickr page. They've got lots of pictures uploaded for your browsing pleasure!

4387746707_ac162b641d.jpg

4388358080_fe97797bdd.jpg

4387595371_f2420fa87a.jpg

Morning Bell

I'm really enjoying the new maps. They're both HUGE but also a lot of fun, especially for sniper and RPG matches. I love how Naughty Dog is constantly giving us new updates and tweaks to keep things fresh.

Le Saboteur

The train keeps a rollin'...

uncharted-2-among-thieves-20091013045541471.jpg

At last month's Interactive Achievement Awards, the fine folks at Naughty Dog collected another ten awards including nods for Game of the Year and Adventure Game of the Year!

And now, the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco has wrapped up, and Naughty Dog has scooped up five more awards! Nominated for seven total, the House That Crash Built claimed the gold in Best Writing, Visual Effects, Writing, Audio, and the all-important Game of the Year!

Has there been a game as so universally lauded as Among Thieves?! I can't think of one. And for those of you who're curious, you can check out the complete broadcast of the awards.

<embed id="mymovie70447" width="640" height="391" flashvars="bwr=0&skinXML=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/eidothea/release/eidotheaEmbedded640_169.xml&playerMode=embedded&movieAspect=16.9&mapp=embedded_640&gen=1&uvp=http%3A%2F%2Fvidtech.cbsinteractive.com%2Fplayer%2F1_3_2%2FCBSI_PLAYER.swf&smode=fit&viewMode=sd&autoPlay=false&paramsXML=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamespot.com%2Fpages%2Fvideo_player%2Fxml.php%3Fid%3D6253472%26mode%3Dembedded%26width%3D640%26height%3D391%26newplayer%3D1" wmode="opaque" allowscriptaccess="always" scale="noScale" salign="lt" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" name="mymovie" style="" src="http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/cne_flash/production/eidothea/release/eidothea.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

But for me the post-mortem conducted by co-designer Richard Lemarchand conducted is the highlight of the event. It's a breakdown on what Naughty Dog thought went well, and what they can improve upon. Gamespot has a write-up on their "seat of the pants design philosophy" here, and a longer piece on Among Thieve's post-mortem, here. Joystiq has another take over at their site, too.

Naughty Dog spent the first six months of Uncharted 2's 22-month development cycle on preproduction. Here, the team had no conventional deadlines, he said, with the focus placed on free-form ideas, concept art, and lots of prototyping. Out of this, they came up with ideas that they felt were too good not to include, such as the train sequence or the cliff-side monastery scene.

Lemarchand then addressed the game's 2009 E3 demo, the first public exhibition of the game. He said that basically the only thing that had any kind of polish in that demo was what was onscreen, and turning the camera even a fraction in the wrong direction would have exposed a lot of embarrassing behind-the-curtain, in-development content. He also said that it was this showing that made the team realize just how much they had bitten off and still needed to finish.

uncharted2.jpg

To see if Naughty Dog learned any lessons from Drake's Fortune, check out its post-mortem over at Gamasutra.

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

uncharted-2-among-thieves-20090318093700391_640w.jpg

Major West said:
I wish they'd put more effort into fixing the glitching with online play. Especially on The Fort.

Fortunately, I don't bother with on-line play. According to ND though, they've began rolling out updates to the spawning issues that seem to have plagued the most recent update.

But let's get to the interesting news. Art books seem to be all the rage these days, and the fine folks at Naughty Dog aren't one to be left out. Released by Ballistic Publishing, The Art of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is a 272-page book stuffed with unseen production art and ideas that went into creating what has become the most critically acclaimed game of our generation. The book will go on sale in three separate editions in April, and is currently available for pre-order. Pre-order now and you'll get a cool 15-minute video presentation narrated by Art Director Rob Ruppel & Andrew Kim, Concept Artist.

The Society of Digital Artists has a nice preview available on their site, as does Ballistic Publishing.

Take a look!

Page01_img.jpg

uncharted-2-among-thieves-20090409042131981-000.jpg

Le Saboteur

Major West said:
You're missing out on a lot of fun with online play. It's not just death matches.

Oh, I played a significant amount of multi-player at the preview event (check back a few pages); it was fun, but not my thing. Maybe if it I had a specific group of people I played with, but I'll pass on the "public" games. The rush to the lowest common denominator is something I'd like to avoid.

136433-uncharted2.jpg

I was clearing out some of my old links when I came across an old article I had found on Gamasutra. The writer was examining the sexual politics of Among Thieves, and how Drake's personality is explored through his relationships with Chloe and Elena. While not earth shattering in it's revelations, it's worth a read.

Tom Cross said:
This isn?t to say that Drake and the relationships in which he participates are not sexual in any way. In fact, he and his various compatriots stand out as some of the few video game characters that are crafted to evince sexual desires and frustrations that are connected to actual human emotions. In that way he, Elena, Sully, and Chloe are similar to the Prince and Elika.

uncharted2co-op.jpg

Now onto new business! Naughty Dog continues their postmortem tour at PAX East. In the hope of continuously improving future titles, they continue to look back at what didn't quite work in the first two games. This time around, they're digging into details and inventing a new chapter for Drake's Fortune.

Joystiq said:
There were also small plot omissions -- like, for instance, how did Elena and Drake get to their plane after the exciting conclusion of Chapter 3?

gamucdesigngoal580.jpg

How cool would a new chapter linking the intro to the main story be? Despite Evan Wells' claim that there would be "no new addition" to the single player campaign, this would be a very nice freebie if they fully developed the level. Fingers crossed!

Do you ever wonder if they have unused title cards for the all the chapters? Well, apparently they do!

drakesonatrain-580.jpg

Ska

Major West said:
Yes, I can tell you seem quite obsessed with this game.

haha

He seems to have connections in the videogame business.

And lol @ "Drake's on a Train"

Le Saboteur

Major West said:
Yes, I can tell you seem quite obsessed with this game.

It's all about converting people to the cause. There's plenty of mooning going on in other threads, but the contributions here have been very limited. I find it perplexing, but I expect too much out of my fellow Ravenites.

Ska said:
He seems to have connections in the videogame business.

Film too. But, shhh!

Le Saboteur

2010-04-03-Eye-of-Indra.jpg

The Eye of Indra Bundle is finally available to North American players! For the sum of $2.49, players will get all four episodes of the Eye of Indra motion comic, and the Rika Raja and Pinkerton multi-player skins! Here's how it works:

* On Thursday, April 1, UNCHARTED: Eye of Indra Episodes 2, 3, and 4 will be TEMPORARILY removed from the Store
* ANYONE who purchased ALL THREE Episodes (#2, 3, and 4) prior to 12:01 AM, April 1, will receive an e-mail on April 8 containing a PSN voucher code good for the FREE download of the UNCHARTED: Eye of Indra Bundle INCLUDING the Rika and Pinkerton multiplayer skins.

*IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to receive the email with your voucher code, you MUST make sure that your PSN account has a valid and working email address associated with your PSN ID. You must also make sure that you have the option to receive marketing communications checked.
* If you want the Rika and Pinkerton skins and have NOT purchased all 3 individual episodes yet, you MUST do so before all the episodes are temporarily removed on April 1.
* Starting April 1, the ONLY way to receive the Rika and Pinkerton skins is to purchase the UNCHARTED: Eye of Indra Bundle. Buying individual episodes after this date will not make you eligible to receive the voucher code for the Bundle and skins.
* The individual episodes will return to the Store on April 15 for $0.99 each.

4440688519_05ab18a210.jpg

4155903915_02be8da25b.jpg

Last edited:

Morning Bell

I'm still hooked on the multiplayer and I can't remember the last time I was addicted to a video game. It's great fun and a nice way to relax after a long day.

By the way, my PSN name is U2_Vertigo40 if anyone wants to add me or play a round sometime.:hat:

Nurhachi1991

Ill add you morning. I agree multiplayer is soooo fun.

I still havent beaten the single player. The truck chase in the snow was pure epicness Indy would of been proud.

Le Saboteur

4505062561_4b7fba1a4d_b.jpg

Elena gives 'im something to remember her by.

Early rumors have come true, and Naughty Dog has unveiled the details of the new Among Thieves expansion pack! Hitting the PS Network on the 22nd of April, the Siege Expansion Pack contains two brand new multi-player levels, a brand new co-op style of play, six new skins, and eleven new medals! If that wasn't enough, Update 1.07 will be out before the new DLC! The cost for North American users will be around six bucks, and RRP €5.99/£4.79 for European users.

No word yet on what Title Update 1.07 will bring, but here's a sampling of what you'll be getting in the new expansion pack.

Siege Co-Op said:
An arena co-op game type where two to three players defend a marked territory within a map against waves of NPC opponents. At the end of every round, the territory will change locations within the map and the NPC opponents will increase in difficultly. The only way you can score co-op points is to have all your players within the captured territory, all while being assaulted by NPC opponents.

Set at dusk amongst the courtyards and display cases at the site of Drake and Flynn’s heist, The Museum provides players with a mix of intense gameplay covering traversing across rooftops, dodging gunfire through twisting corridors, and close quarters fighting. Players need to watch their backs as there are numerous flank routes in all parts of this circular map. Players should also learn the secret climbing routes that will allow them to get the drop on their opponents.

4505699234_14f1cec0bb_b.jpg

4505699636_f9805b6b02_b.jpg

Towering over the streets of Nepal, The Highrise is a map with plenty of opportunities for players to get the high ground on their opponents. Set on a series of destroyed and under-construction buildings, players need to be on their toes as there are many different jump locations and paths around the map. Players should also watch out for the incoming airstrikes, as they can clear the rooftops in seconds.

4505529511_996141459d_b.jpg

4505063257_df75bbcc1f_b.jpg

Personally, I'm not all that impressed with The Highrise, but the level of work on The Museum looks really, really nice. Sounds like fun, too! I may break down and give multi-player a try. If you'd like to see some of the other shots, drop by Naughty Dog's Flickr page.

Unfortunately, the lot of skins aren't all that great looking. Sure, we get Baseball Ringer T & Wetsuit Drake, but a couple seem like filler. See the above link for the remainder.

4506206952_e2c0fba61c_b.jpg

4505573373_3262c5ae9c_b.jpg

4505573411_8f5fd10f78_b.jpg

New trophies:

* Bronze

o You Can’t Break Me – Complete all 3 co-op objective maps on Crushing
o Under Siege – Finish Wave 10 in 1 Siege game
o Speedy – Get 10 First! Medals
o I’ll Cover You – Get 50 Defender Medals
o Fallen Angel – Get 50 Afterlife Medals
o Not So Fast – Get 20 “Shut’em Down Medals
o Jack of All Trades – Get 15 Triple Threat Medals