John Carter of Mars

YouNeverKnow

Moedred that clip was absolutely astounding. I've always been a fan of the Fleischer Superman cartoons and Burrough's work is pure genius, so that video brought together a lot for me. I've been intrigued by this project for a while, being that it's Pixar's first foray into "live-action". But I have faith in the director so we shall see.

RedeemedChild

johncarter.png

Time to venture back to Mars!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Rf55GTEZ_E

Last edited by a moderator:

YouNeverKnow

When did the title change? I think that's a good move, in the end. Makes the trailer more ambiguous and interesting. And there is Burroughs framing?

Le Saboteur

Moedred said:
...the original Jeddak warriors and Princess Dejah on Barsoom...

Wasn't Jeddak a title? The race of "Little" Green Men were called the Thark, who don't yet seem height appropriate based on this still.

15.jpg

YouNeverKnow said:
When did the title change? I think that's a good move, in the end.

I suspect a marketing department's hand in the change. If I had to guess, it's because they're afraid of turning off people who don't usually go in for sci-fi. Fortunately, the "M" is still there on the teaser poster for those in the know.

Now let's hope that the rights extend as far as a film version, and they won't be releasing a sanitized version of the books.

Le Saboteur

A couple of interesting articles from the Los Angeles Times.

Andrew Stanton on Martian History

GB: In the story, John Carter is a Civil War veteran who finds himself mysteriously transported to Mars, where due to the gravity he is able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, so to speak, a conceit that would pop up in the 1930s in Superman. A battered, hardened solider, he learns of the alien culture and falls in love with a brightly hued princess, not unlike ?Avatar.? In the Burroughs tales, leaders are called Jeddak, there are beasts called Banths, there?s a warrior rank of padwar ? all of those seem to echo in the Lucas universe, as do key concepts and themes. Does any of that present a problem? Does it box you in or create the risk that ?John Carter? will feel derivative to audiences that don?t know or don?t care about the chronology of the heritage?

'John Carter': A fan chronicles his own martian obsession

I still think that the sword fights depicted in the John Carter books are the most rousing and riveting I?ve ever seen or read, either on the page or the screen. A sword duel in the John Carter series is often like a hypnotic dance of death, where John Carter and his nefarious opponent first taunt and complement each other (a cat-and-mouse game in its purest form) until inevitably, Carter gets fed up, and skewers his overly arrogant enemy with his long-sword.

phantom train

The forthcoming John Carter film looks interesting. Years ago, I read several of the Edgar Rice Burroughs novels and found them not only compelling, but a great example of very early sci-fi (though, I will say I enjoyed ERB's Tarzan novels more).

In addition to the new JC comic tie-in, it's worth noting that Marvel comics will be coming out with a large Omnibus early next year reprinting their exceptional late '70's comic series John Carter, Warlord of Mars. Here's a link with more info:

http://www.comixology.com/isbn/978078515990259999

Side-note: When I first saw the TV show ER years ago, for a while whenever the John Carter character was on-screen or mentioned, I always thought of these ERB novels :)

Last edited:

RedeemedChild

I haven't been this excited for a trip into the stars since I first saw the promotionals for Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace back in 1999!

The twelve year old boy within me is screaming with excitement!

302910_10150319196488635_151802578634_7983050_1263559275_n.jpg

20111004134102.jpg

20111004134336.jpg

125326033.jpg

phantom train

Very nice pictures - Thanks for posting.

I have a feeling the aliens/creatures in the upcoming film won't look as cool/interesting as these models, but I hope I'm wrong. I also suspect that the film will deviate greatly from the source material in other ways.

In any case, all of this renewed interest in the franchise has inspired me to seek out the books - I plan to re-read them soon.

RedeemedChild

Disney has gotten ridiculous with their money obsession in terms of wanting to make MASSIVE amounts of money in order for a film to warrant being a trilogy or having a sequel at all for that matter. They nearly made me want to storm the executive offices and express my anger when they attempted to cancel The Lone Ranger before Johnny Depp intervened.

Alas, for Disney has gone back down that road again to some degree as they are mandating that John Carter of Mars must make $700 million in order for Stanton to have the green light for a trilogy. We know that John Carter of Mars is Andrew Stanton's sandbox, love, pride and joy and he wants to play in it just as Lucas has in Star Wars.

I hope that we the fans can do all in our part to make Stanton's dream come true and help him make John Carter of Mars just as intimately apart of pop culture as Star Wars and Star Trek is today.

Source: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/10/john-carter-mars-andrew-stanton-box-offic.html