Django Unchained

TheMutt92

Starring non other than Hans Landa himself (among others...?)

http://www.slashfilm.com/quentin-tarantino-prepping-western/

Last week, in addition to finding that the full cut of Kill Bill complete with new anime sequence (aka Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair) would play the New Beverly Cinema in March, there were whisperings that Quentin Tarantino is busy assembling his new film. At the time we didn?t have any real word about what the movie would be, but now Italian actor and one-time spaghetti western star Franco Nero says that he is involved in a western with Quentin Tarantino. Further reports say that the director?s next film is definitely a western, and that it will star breakout Inglourious Basterds star Christoph Waltz.

TheMutt92

A few more details emerged at the Oscar parties...

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/osc...oon-on-quentin-tarantino-tom-hooper-projects/

I ran into Quentin Tarantino, who said that he has completed the script for his Western, and that compared to recent scripts like Inglourious Basterds and Kill Bill that took so long to crystallize, this one came together much quicker and just flowed out of him. He wasn't more descriptive than that before I lost him in the crowd, but my understanding is he'll deliver within two months and then TWC will begin moving toward a production start.

Montana Smith

Since QT's been skirting around this genre for so many years (along with Rodriguez) it seemed only a matter of time before he bit the bullet and went for a period-set tribute.

Will this be his Django the Basterd [sic]?

Looking forward to see how this develops.

TheMutt92

The reports are saying QT plans to shoot in the latter half of 2011, meaning we can expect a steady flow of casting info over the next couple of months, and probably a 2012 release date.

As w/ any QT film, half the fun is in watching those films that influence him and spotting all the references along the way. So maybe this will help people get off to an early start...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x5JRvsfti7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Quentin_Tarantino's_Top_20_favorite_Spaghetti_Westerns

But what I really wanna know is... will Ennio Morricone score this film? He originally wanted him to work on Inglourious Basterds, but their schedueles never lined up, so QT was forced to use his previous work.

Montana Smith

TheMutt92 said:
But what I really wanna know is... will Ennio Morricone score this film? He originally wanted him to work on Inglourious Basterds, but their schedueles never lined up, so QT was forced to use his previous work.

I love Ennio's original scores for the Sergio Leone movies (from Fistful to Once Upon a Time in the West). Either way, new or old, it will make for an incredible soundtrack.

TheMutt92

What is it? A spaghetti western? A southern? A biopic?

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/articl...ine-for-tarantinos-upcoming-spaghetti-western

Over at The Playlist they mined the history of Tarantino rumors for possible ideas as to what this could be and the first thing that came up was a 2007 interview he did with The Telegraph when he laid out plans for a pic on America's past with slavery, but he wanted to do it in the style of a spaghetti western.

Tarantino told Charlie Rose in August of 2009, "There is one [biopic] story that I could be interested in, but it would probably be one of the last movies I [ever make]. My favorite hero in American history is John Brown. He's my favorite American who ever lived. He basically single-handedly started the road to end slavery and the fact that he killed people to do it. He decided, 'If we start spilling white blood, then they're going to start getting the idea.'"

"I'd like to do a Western. But rather than set it in Texas, have it in slavery times. With that subject that everybody is afraid to deal with. Let's shine that light on ourselves. You could do a ponderous history lesson of slaves escaping on the Underground Railroad. Or, you could make a movie that would be exciting. Do it as an adventure. A spaghetti Western that takes place during that time. And I would call it A Southern."

Thats a lot to take in, and its possible its irrelevant (just look back at Inglourious Basterds: while the premise stayed the same he scrapped a number of the chapters and rewrote them before shooting).

Forbidden Eye

San Holo said:
Who wants to see an Eastwood cameo? :hat:

Gran Torino was pretty much perfect in ending his acting career.

But...if there were such a project worth coming out of retirement for, a spaghetti western would be the one. ;)

Forbidden Eye

Eli Wallach could make a cameo. Though he is 95, he was in two films last year.

Ennio Morricone HAS to sign on though.

TheMutt92

Django Unchained?

http://www.slashfilm.com/is-this-the-title-to-quentin-tarantinos-next-movie/

Tarantino-Western-Script.jpg

Is that the title? It certainly looks like it. We know from Inglourious Basterds that Tarantino likes to hand write the titles on the first page of his script. Plus, there?s the classic 1966 spaghetti western called Django that starred Franco Nero. The same Franco Nero who was rumored to be in this movie.

So if this is the title of the film, does this mean this will be a continuation of Nero's portrayal of Django or merely a homage (ala Inglourious Basterds)?

TheMutt92

Plot revealed?

http://screenrant.com/quentin-tarantinos-film-django-unchained-screenplay-finished-benm-113184/

According to a source via Indiewire blog Shadow and Act ? though the validity of the source has already been called into question ? the plot of Django Unchained is as follows:

?Django is a freed slave, who, under the tutelage of a German bounty hunter (played by Christopher Waltz the evil Nazi officer in Inglorious Basterds) becomes a bad-ass bounty hunter himself, and after assisting Waltz in taking down some bad guys for profit, is helped by Waltz in tracking down his slave wife and liberating her from an evil plantation owner. And that doesn?t even half begin to cover it! This film deals with racism as I?ve rarely seen it handled in a Hollywood film. While it?s 100 percent pure popcorn and revenge flick, it is pure genius in the way it takes on the evil slave owning south. Think of what he did with the Nazis in Inglorious and you?ll get a sense of what he?s doing with slave owners and slave overseers in this one.?

TheMutt92

QT goes after the Fresh Prince...

http://www.slashfilm.com/smith-frontrunner-quentin-tarantinos-django-unchained/

When Quentin Tarantino makes a casting wishlist, he sets his sights high. ?High? as in one of the biggest box office stars in the world. The writer/director is currently meeting about his upcoming spaghetti Western Django Unchained and people involved in the meetings have revealed to The Hollywood Reporter that the director?s top choice for the lead role of Django, a freed slave who is trained by a German bounty hunter to save his wife, is none other than Will Smith.

The Hollywood Reporter also says that Samuel L. Jackson is circling as role as is Christoph Waltz, who was confirmed by William Morris Endeavor but he himself denied involvement. Jackson?s role would be as the head slave of the bad guy, Monsieur Calvin Candie, who would face off with Django and Waltz is being eyed as the bounty hunter, the film?s second lead.

Dr.Sartorius

I don't like the title. And I don't know about Will Smith as the lead. Although I'm sure it won't be anything like Wild Wild West.

TheMutt92

I don't know if I should brag about this, but I do have my hands on a copy of QT's script (similar to how the Inglourious Basterds script was online a year before its release). I think it'll be interesting to read before seeing a frame of footage, and then compare the two when the film finally comes out. If I ever get around to finishing it, I may post my thoughts (that is, if its not breaking any rules on here).

Attila the Professor

Staff member
TheMutt92 said:
I don't know if I should brag about this, but I do have my hands on a copy of QT's script (similar to how the Inglourious Basterds script was online a year before its release). I think it'll be interesting to read before seeing a frame of footage, and then compare the two when the film finally comes out. If I ever get around to finishing it, I may post my thoughts (that is, if its not breaking any rules on here).

I mean, it's not against <I>our</I> rules, I don't think...but that doesn't mean you might not be better off not doing so. As you suggest...you don't know if you should brag about this.

Dr. Gonzo

TheMutt92 said:

Don't do it. I have a... uh, know of a... well, I am aware of a person (trying to find wording that keeps things cool) who always has his/her hands on scripts in preproduction there was a massive lawsuit a couple months ago over the divulging of such information and well really can't say more but, beware. seriously.

TheMutt92

Dr. Gonzo said:
Don't do it. I have a... uh, know of a... well, I am aware of a person (trying to find wording that keeps things cool) who always has his/her hands on scripts in preproduction there was a massive lawsuit a couple months ago over the divulging of such information and well really can't say more but, beware. seriously.

I'll take your advice then. :D

TheMutt92

Is Idris Elba Django?

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/idris-elba-meeting-quentin-tarantino-star-django-unchained

The picture... was tweeted by Idris Elba (Thor, "The Wire") ten hours ago as he boarded a flight headed to, as he said, "the destination of my fate?..ok?. a lil dramatic?.destination of my life." An hour earlier he posted a tweet saying, "Having one of the biggest meetings of my professional life today?meeting a very controversial director for a very controversial part." Whatever could it be?

As Shadow and Act has also speculated, this seems it could only be a meeting for Quentin Tarantino's upcoming spaghetti western, Django Unchained. However, like the folks at Shadow and Act, I don't think of Tarantino as a "controversial director" per se, but what little bit I do know ? and have read ? of Django Unchained I would definitely say you could consider the role "controversial".