Solo: A Star Wars Story

TheFedora

Honestly I think I am okay with the young Han Solo, at least because I've had a bit of time to get used to the idea...

curmudgeon

After months of being rumored for the part, Lucasfilm has confirmed that Donald Glover (TV's "Community" and "Atlanta") has been cast as a young Lando Calrissian.

And since it wasn't in the thread yet, I'll post it for posterity and or future reference... Alden Ehrenreich was confirmed as Han last July.

Wedge Antilles

In the 90s there was a Han Solo trilogy book series that showed how Han came in possession of the Millennium Falcon, how he got in trouble with Jabba, etc. I wonder if the new movie will follow the story line of that book series or not.

Finn

Staff member
Wedge Antilles said:
In the 90s there was a Han Solo trilogy book series that showed how Han came in possession of the Millennium Falcon, how he got in trouble with Jabba, etc. I wonder if the new movie will follow the story line of that book series or not.
I don't know if you missed it or not, but most existing EU material was scrubbed from canon when Disney took over. So the safe bet is no, it won't.

curmudgeon

Finn said:
I don't know if you missed it or not, but most existing EU material was scrubbed from canon when Disney took over. So the safe bet is no, it won't.

^^Listen to this person.

Back in 2013, after Kasdan was first announced to be writing a spin-off film, he specifically said he wasn't looking at the books.

That said, it doesn't prevent the movie from having similarities to the books. They just wouldn't be planned that way.

And it could also be possible if Lucas developed any background or reference material about Han's past, those ideas could end up in both the books and the movie. But that's just me speculating.

AndyLGR

Finn said:
Yeah they pretty much wiped the slate clean, which was probably the best thing to do if they plan on tying up the future films, cartoons and books to the previously made movies and cartoons. But I wouldn't be surprised if they cherry pick things out of the old EU books to use. For example they've added Admiral Thrawn to the Rebels cartoon for the new series.

curmudgeon

Now filming. Have to imagine a formal start of production press release will follow in the near future.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Han<br>First<br>Shot <a href="https://t.co/KReR6rgKFT">pic.twitter.com/KReR6rgKFT</a></p>— Chris Miller (@chrizmillr) <a href="https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/826099940254502915">January 30, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

curmudgeon

Nice to see they reaffirmed the release date in that article. Last few releases only said "2018," which was leading to rumors of it moving from May to December like Episode VIII did.

curmudgeon

The directors are stepping down due to creative differences.

http://www.starwars.com/news/a-message-from-lucasfilm-regarding-the-untitled-han-solo-film

... or maybe they were FIRED, for creative differences... with several weeks of filming and reshoots left to do...

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-kathleen-kennedy-director-fired-1202473919/

... and maybe possibly Ron Howard is the top choice to replace them for what's left of the project to do.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/ron-how...lord-christopher-miller-directors-1202117289/

But it's still keeping the May 25 release date, for now.

... this all unfolded so quickly that I think I have whiplash...

TheFedora

Its really kind of concerning in my opinion that they would leave with three weeks left to film. Not sure how they are going to get this all sorted.

Kai Hagen

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/1370138-010555922.html
?Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it?s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we?ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon,? Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement.
?Unfortunately, our vision and process weren?t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren?t fans of the phrase ?creative differences? but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew,? Lord and Miller said in their matching statement.
Lucasfilm has had a bumpy time with its standalone ?Star Wars Stories.? The Han Solo project is the second to go into production, following last year?s blockbuster Rogue One. That film was plagued by rumors of behind-the-scenes troubles, and the Disney-run Lucasfilm brought in Tony Gilroy to help director Gareth Edwards reshape the film, with several scenes being cut and added at the last minute. (Among the notable cuts was Jyn?s ?this is a rebellion, I rebel? line so prominently featured in the initial teasers; 11th-hour additions included Darth Vader?s climactic attack scene.)
Previously, Lucasfilm pulled the plug on a different standalone film ? reportedly following Boba Fett?s early bounty hunting escapades ? to be helmed by Josh Trank, following the filmmaker?s disastrous Fantastic Four reboot. Trank?s project, which was originally supposed to follow Rogue One, was shuttered in 2015, shortly before Han Solo with Miller and Lord was announced.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I enjoy the work of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, particularly the adventures of Phil Miller, in Last Man on Earth. The pilot episodes they directer were great, then the experimental first season tested how long an audience would stick with an unlikable protagonist. As an Indyfan though, I'll side with the Kasdans:
Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the style and vision of Lord and Miller clashed with that of Lawrence Kasdan, the legendary screenwriter behind the classics Empire Strikes Back and ‪Raiders of the Lost Ark, who also wrote, with his son, Jon Kasdan, the script for the Han Solo stand-alone set (for now) to be released in 2018.

Lord and Miller (21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie) have a comedic sensibility and improvisational style while Kasdan favors a strict adherence to the written word ? what is on the page is what must be shot.

The creative clash, according to one insider, also came down to differences in understanding the character of Han Solo. ?People need to understand that Han Solo is not a comedic personality. He?s sarcastic and selfish,? said that source. The friction was felt almost immediately when the movie began shooting in February.
Meanwhile they're trying to get their Flash job back.

IndyBuff

From what I read they tried to inject more humor into the film and apparently Disney pushed back against that, so who knows.

Joe Brody

There's some strange irony (or something) here.

Spielberg never got to direct a Star Wars flick but Richie Cunningham does?

Seriously Kathleen Kennedy? You can't do better than that?

Howard's films are inert and devoid of emotion. I can't see what drove this decision beyond desperation and/or economics (he's had such a streak of flops, I guess he came cheap).