The Official Wild Goose Chase Thread (for all the rumors with undisclosed source)

commontone

My guess is it's disinformation from Lucas/Spielberg. Think about it--the more of these false plot threads there are, the harder it would be to recognize the real one if it were leaked.

TheLastCrusader

The Stranger said:
I only wanted to say one thing. It's been a while since I last came here to read the Wild Goose Chase Thread. It is one of the very few threads I don't often have a look at... so... I've read about the "hypotetical" complete plot summary now for the first time.

When I saw it, I curiously started reading its first lines, but then I stopped because I'd preferred not to reveal too much (just in case it's going to be truth... we never know... :rolleyes: ).

However, I've read about an opening scene set in '25, which involves Indiana Jones as a young man... AAAARGHHHHH... JUST THE THING THAT SCARES ME MOST!!!!

A scene showing Indy in his mid twenties would need a new actor to portray the same character!!!! I wrote this already, some months ago: to me changing an actor (especially THE LEADING ACTOR) is equal to ruining the movie in its entirety. Different actors do inevitably have different faces and different voices, because they are obviously different persons.
It doesn't matter how much they are physically resemblant to each other... they are not the same. If we want a character to be realistic, he must have only one face, only one voice, only one mannerism. Indiana Jones in this saga IS Harrison Ford to me. If they choose another actor to portray him in his early days as an archeologist, then they are gonna ruin the realism of the film. To my eyes, at least.

Yeah, I know... some of you may think: - but in "Last Crusade" Indiana Jones was also played by River Phoenix... a different actor than Harrison. -

I know... but River Phoenix played Indy as a child. A child becomes adolescent, then begins to grow, and to physically change. And sometimes these physical changes are drastic. So River Phoenix was a very plausible child Indy in my opinion... sufficiently resemblant to Ford, most of all in the smile, he was definitely a credible young Indy.
But in 1925 Indiana would be around 26. A 26 year-old-man is physically similar (if not almost equal) to what he is going to be in his thirties. So a 26 years old Indy should be Harrison Ford with a younger face. I think replacing the actor would be an ENORMOUS mistake... :(

P.S. - You may think I'm fanatic... but the Indiana Jones trilogy is my favourite film saga of all time... I couldn't stand if they ruined it. :(
I agree it's best not to replace Harrison anymore, but if someone would have to do it, it'd have to be his son, Benjamin. He already replaced Harrison in the final cut of Blade Runner.

Flannery10

TheLastCrusader said:
I agree it's best not to replace Harrison anymore, but if someone would have to do it, it'd have to be his son, Benjamin. He already replaced Harrison in the final cut of Blade Runner.

Really, didn't know that. But I agree that you shouldn't replace Harrison Ford with any other actor if the scene plays after 1920.

Professor Jones

Well, anyway I must admit that they've been pretty good in keep the plot secret 'till now, except the McGuffin, some location detail and the fact that the enemies will be the ruskies we really don't know very much of the plot itself. I would have expected that somehow it would have been revealed at least in its basic elements, yet we really don't know what is all about... I think that the few things I know by now wouldn't sure spoil me the pleasure of the movie.

Kingsley

metalinvader said:
supershadow is an idiot...
a funny idiot:
"At the moment, the extraterrestrials, who created the crystal skulls, will be seen in Indiana Jones 4. However, we still have six months before a final edit will be made. Steven Spielberg may have second thoughts of having alien entities in an Indiana Jones movie."

kongisking

Possible Plot Summary (Major Spoilers)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stumbled on at the IGN forums. It details the film's opening and the set-up for the skulls plot-line.

Who knows if it's legit, but there's no harm in a little speculation!

"I have an acquaintance who claims to have seen a screening of the first c. 20 minutes of
INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL. This is his summary of it. The
Hawthorn character is Jim Broadbent. He didn't recognize the actor playing young Indy.
He's evidently an unknown, but "plays it to the hilt" and resembles Ford enough that
it works. He assured me it's not Cory Carrier or anyone else we know. Matt = Shaia LeBeouf.
Ravenwood = John Hurt. It may be legit, but take it with a grain of salt...I don't know this guy
very well, but he did give me a very accurate summary of TRANSFORMERS long before it came out, so
you never can tell.

The movie opens in Marrakesh in 1925 with young Indy and Professor Ravenwood tracking down an
Egyptian stone connected to the Ark of the Covenant (the Paramount logo dissolves into a
mountain peak behind the city). The stone will supposedly tell the location of Tanis. They meet
with a black market merchant who possesses a crystal skull, which he tries to hide and which the
Professor offers to buy for $3000. The merchant refuses to sell it for any amount of money.

The Professor sneaks back alone to the merchant's tent and attempts to steal the skull. He is caught
and captured by the merchant's gang. Indy shows up just in time, freeing the Professor with his whip
and revolver. Indy commandeers a wagon to escape. They later switch to a car. A chase through
Marrakesh at night follows, ending with Indy and the Professor escaping onto a ship going down a river.

Indy asks the Professor why he nearly got them killed over the skull. The Professor tells him
the legend of the crystal skulls: there are seven of them, now scattered across the world, and when
brought together in the temple of the crystal skull, they will reveal knowledge and power mankind has
never dreamed of. Greater than the Ark of the Covenant, he says. The kingdom and temple of the crystal
skulls are in the Yucatan, hidden by the Mayans when the Spanish invaded.

Fast-forward to 1957. Indy is about to become professor emeritus (in other words, retire) at Marshall
College. He has tenure and is well respected but is viewed as past his prime. He has not done field
work in years. His star pupil is Matt Dutton. After Indy is through teaching his last class (on the
Mayans), he is called to the dean's office, where he is met by Art Hawthorn, a friend of his visiting from
Yale. Hawthorne has brought with him a crystal skull which will be loaned to the college museum. Indy
remembers the legend of the skulls. The dean asks Indy to speak at the exhibit opening but he declines.
That night, the exhibit opens but after-hours the skull is stolen from the museum and Hawthorn, who is
just preparing to leave, is killed by the four robbers."
================================================== ========
Later in the same thread, this COMPLETE PLOT SUMMARY was posted:

"In 1925 Indiana Jones and Abner Ravenwood are searching for
a tablet that will lead them to the Ark. They get into a fight
with a gang of Arabs when Abner tries to steal a crystal skull
from a merchant who won't sell it to him. They escape on a riverboat.
Abner tells Indy that there are seven crystal skulls dispersed
across the world. They originally came from Atlantis and hold
powers greater than the Ark.

After the prologue it's 1957 and Indy is getting ready to retire.
His friend Hawthorne arrives from Yale with a crystal skull he
is donating to the museum. Thieves break into the museum and
steal the skull, killing Hawthorne in the process. Indy's
student Matt finds a map in Hawthorne's briefcase showing the
location of the Temple of the Crystal Skull and where another
crystal skull is hidden. The thieves surprise Indy and Matt
and chase them through the college campus and city. Indy is
captured but Matt escapes with the map. The thieves are revealed
to be Soviets, headed by the ruthless Irina.
They take Indy on board a ship and show him Marion,
who they've taken prisoner. They give him a choice, he can either
help them locate the last crystal skull and the temple or
Marion dies. They give Indy and Marion some time alone,
during which she punches him for having left her twenty
years ago. But Indy still cares for her and agrees to
help the Russians. Under escourt, Indy goes to his
house and packs. Matt has been following them and stows
away on the plane they board.

The plane takes them to Mexico City. There, Matt engineers
a rescue of Indy. Matt is shocked to find his mother, Marion.
It comes out that Matt is Indy's son, which neither Indy
or Matt knew because Matt has been living under the name of
Marion's dead husband, Dutton. After the family reunion, they
meet up with Mac, a friend of Indy's in Mexico City.
With Hawthorne's map, they intend to beat the Russians to the
last skull and the temple.

Indy and company take a jeep and make camp in the jungle. Matt and
Marion stay behind while Indy and Mac go into a catacomb to get
the last skull. They make it through several traps before entering
the sanctuary, where the skull is suspended by vines over a pit.
Cutting the right vine will release the skull and make it swing
to them, but cutting a wrong one will drop it below, where it
will shatter. Using the map, Indy figures out the right vine
and gets the skull. He burns the map.

When Indy and Mac return, they are captured by the Russians, who
also have Marion and Matt. Indy is beaten up. Irina ties Indy
to a chair and has him tortured with an electrical wire. She
points a gun at Marion's head, then Matt's. She wants to know the
location of the temple. Indy tells her, but says they'll never
get inside without his help.

The temple is in the middle of an old Mayan city deep in the
jungle. Matt insists on going in with Indy and Mac, and Marion
insists if Matt's going, so is she. Irina and Russian soldiers
follow close behind. At one point, Indy and company have to swing
over a chasm, and the Russians build a temporary bridge across
it after Indy and Mac throw ropes from the other side. There's
an altar inside the temple where the crystal skulls are to be
placed to unlock their secrets. Irina demands Indy tell her
the proper position for each skull, and he does. She places them
on the altar and they and the whole room begin to glow. To
gain the skull's power, you have to choose the right one and
take it from the altar. Indy refuses to tell Irina which one,
and she orders Marion, Matt and Mac shot dead. Irina watches as
Indy chooses the uppermost left skull, and he uses it to
return Marion, Matt and Mac to life. After Indy replaces the
skull, Irina chooses the same skull. But the whole
place begins to shake and light fills the room. Indy says that which
skull you choose depends on your intentions in using the power of the
skulls. Irina was after the power for herself, and she chose wrong.

The skulls are destroying the temple and the entire city.
Indy and company escape the temple as it explodes with a blast
of power from the skulls, and the blast radiates out and
starts bringing down the city's buildings. Indy and company
make it to a safe distance. Irina and the Russians aren't
seen again. Matt asks Indy if he still wants to retire from
all of this. Indy says who knows what tomorrow will bring for
any of them. Indy, Matt, Marion and Mac get in a jeep and start back
for Mexico City. "
================================================== ========
Additional possible insider information:

"The Skulls do NOT come from Atlantis. They were given to the Mayans by the gods, who turn out to be extraterrestrials. The bodies of some of the dead "gods" come back to life in the catacombs and attack Indy and Mac. They are ALIENS.
Darabont's version of the story had the aliens in the forefront. The version that was shot makes them a background element.

Mac BETRAYS Indy. He's working for the Russians to start with, unknown to Indy. He's how the Russians find their
campsite in the jungle. He has a change of heart, however, and turns against the Russians. He's more complex than
just a sidekick. He reminds me of Ilse from Last Crusade, though he's redeemed where she isn't.

The Ark is in the film briefly in a flashback narrated by Jim Broadbent. But it's not part of the Skull plotline.

It's one hell of a good story. The summary above makes it sound dryer than it is. And yes, I'm in a position to know.
Trust me, as Indy says. And don't ask what position. "
A while ago What Truck? posted this info, and apparently you haven't gotten around to posting it on this thread, so I did it for ya. I personally think this info is awesome, and that we should study this bit of spoiler-heavy stuff. What do you guys think of this (alleged) synopsis? I think it sounds terrific, for the most part...

metalinvader

Kingsley said:
a funny idiot:
"At the moment, the extraterrestrials, who created the crystal skulls, will be seen in Indiana Jones 4. However, we still have six months before a final edit will be made. Steven Spielberg may have second thoughts of having alien entities in an Indiana Jones movie."

I think his 'Interviews" with Lucas are even more funnier..

This did make me laugh..
"Steven Spielberg may have second thoughts of having alien entities in an Indiana Jones movie":rolleyes:

sarah navarro

THAT WHOLE STORY SOUNDED AWESOME!!!!!
If this stuff is all true then KOTCS is gonna be the greatest movie ever!:D
I like the whole twist on the Matt being Indys son.And the narraration sounds cool too.:whip:

Finn

Staff member
kongisking said:
A while ago What Truck? posted this info, and apparently you haven't gotten around to posting it on this thread, so I did it for ya. I personally think this info is awesome, and that we should study this bit of spoiler-heavy stuff. What do you guys think of this (alleged) synopsis? I think it sounds terrific, for the most part...
http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=251271&postcount=330

What's this then? It's been discussed in this very thread for the past week and busted many times over. How many posts backwards did you look anyway? One?

Stay sharp, Junior. Stay sharp.

Zorg

There are many parts in it that sound good, some even excellent. But, I guess until we actually SEE something all is just rumours.

That said, I wouldn't mind if KotCS turned out to be (something) like the alleged plot summary above.

CaliforniaJones

So if Matt/Mutt stows away on the airplane, how come his motorcycle is in the picture with Indy in Central America? And doesn't the ending just seem like Last Crusade rehashed? And Abner doesn't show up anywhere else in the story. I doubt he would be looking that scraggily in 1920. And where is the US Air Force base? And Indy, the guy who found the ark of the covenant, and the holy grail, past his prime???? The dude is a legend.