IESB reveals Blanchett's role

Dr.Sartorius

given that she's supposed to be a Russian interrogator. She's certainly not going to be a soft, gentle interrogator...that would make no sense.

I doubt her main role in the movie will be as an "interrogator". Calling her an interrogator makes it sound like all she's going to do is interrogate.

commontone

There are people involved in government/military whose primary jobs are to interrogate prisoners; they specialize in all the techniques of doing so. That's all I mean by the term. According to rumors Cate will play such a person, but that doesn't mean she won't do any number of other things in the movie.

Kingsley

Dr.Sartorius said:
I doubt her main role in the movie will be as an "interrogator". Calling her an interrogator makes it sound like all she's going to do is interrogate.
Well, if she where only an interrogator, given the scene where she gets to do her job, she could appear first when the movie is very advanced in its story. I don't think so, but Henry appeared almost in the middle of the movie. :confused:

Kingsley said:
Well, if she where only an interrogator, given the scene where she gets to do her job, she could appear first when the movie is very advanced in its story. I don't think so, but Henry appeared almost in the middle of the movie. :confused:

Great point. She could easily appear well into the first half of the movie. Or disappear in the second half, for a touch of variety!

As for references to butch, keep it together people. Imagine the atmosphere. Its just he style of humour between the principles that exist on these things. Rapport between the director and main female lead. They have what is commonly referred to as A SENSE OF HUMOUR. `You have to be the tough guy today, none of the femine stuff, there are five butch things you have to do today´, of that ilke. This doesn´t mean she was sombrely referring to having to behave in an uber-lesbian leather-clad dominatrix manner. In spite of how several members here may wish the film to progress...

Finn

Staff member
It's just amusing (and sad) how badly some of our folks around here read into random pointers just mentioned to be happening in the film. When they hear about loose head on a statue, it must contain the McGuffin. Some Russian dance to set up an athmosphere means huge musical number. And when Cate Blanchett is associated with word "butch", they start thinking female wrestlers or something... sheesh.

Dr.Sartorius

Kingsley said:

Well given the possibility that she might be be the main villain I would hope she gets more screen time than that.

Dr.Sartorius

From MTV:

From the very moment he struck an iconic pose onscreen nearly 30 years ago, Indiana Jones became one of the most beloved movie characters of all time. So when word went around town that Harrison Ford was once again itching to whip it up as the intrepid archaeologist, you would think that the actors fortunate enough to hear from Steven Spielberg or George Lucas would instantly jump at the opportunity to star in the series' fourth installment, "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

"Well, no," "Indy" producer Frank Marshall laughed. "I think it's an opportunity that doesn't come along very often ? to do these kinds of big movies ? but they talk to Steven and he pitches the role. [Before they commit], they want to know, rightfully, what the part is."

The actors' roles are a secret Marshall is finally ready to share with the world, explaining exclusively to MTV News just who exactly some new castmembers will be playing.

"Well, Cate [Blanchett] is just spectacular, one of the finest actresses working today. She went from '[The Curious Case of] Benjamin Button' to playing the villainess in 'Indiana Jones,' so she's up for anything," Marshall enthused, confirming speculation that the Oscar winner joined the cast as Indy's main adversary. "She makes a great villain. She had a really fun time.

"Ray Winstone, he came from 'Beowulf' to this," Marshall continued, describing Winstone's character, Mac, as a sort of cross between villain Belloq and friend Sallah. "He plays an archaeologist competitor to Indy. Friend and competitor."

And Jim Broadbent? He plays a Yale colleague of Dr. Jones' that "sort of replaces Marcus Brody," Marshall said.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1576038/story.jhtml

Ska

Oh woe. Although I wouldn't care if it was on the Lifetime Channel. Articles on Indy are good...no matter where they come from.

I like the female main villan this time. 'Tis different. And she seems to be able to play a real hard-***. I hope she beats the pulp out of Indy.

And Mac being an ally and a competitor. That should make for some interesting scenes.

Thanks for the heads-up, Dr.

Now lets take bets on how many threads will be opened to announce this to the Raven. I say 4.

Flannery10

DarthLowBudget said:
Cool stuff, Winstone sounds like an interesting character with some depth. Sweet.

That's exactly what I thought, when I read this stuff. I always liked Belloq, because of his past and the way he presented himself, I just hope Winstone lives up to the expectations.

Finn

Staff member
DarthLowBudget said:
Cool stuff, Winstone sounds like an interesting character with some depth. Sweet.
If I am to make predictions now, he's a guy Russians have hired, but he turns and starts fighting for Indy's cause instead.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Mac a competitor, eh? I wonder if they'll compete for Marion, the same way Indy and Belloq did in Raiders?

Except Belloq had the edge on Indy in the chic french opponent stakes. What will gruff Winstone have that Marion finds attractive?...

sunshinestate1992

"Except Belloq had the edge on Indy in the chic french opponent stakes. What will gruff Winstone have that Marion finds attractive?..."

his stash !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingsley

Why are all characters revealed, but not John Hurt (and in some extension Shia)? Do they want to surprise us anyhow?

Blanchett..... Russian villain (y)
Broadbent.... Yale professor (y)
Winstone..... archaeologist competitor (y)

Shia.... greasy (son)? :confused:
Hurt.... ??? Abner? :confused:

I think so, the rumours are true, but announcing them so openly as the other characters is a bit too spoilerish now.

tocksic

herr gruber said:
Except Belloq had the edge on Indy in the chic french opponent stakes. What will gruff Winstone have that Marion finds attractive?...

Maybe when he puts off his shirt he looks like BEEOOOWUUUUULF! :p