TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #101
Indy4fan
IndyFan
 
Indy4fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 272
I still think the Abner is "alive" idea is lame. I agree with Sankara and for those who don't, "you don't believe us? You will (May 22) you will become a true believer..." lol j/k
Indy4fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:59 PM   #102
commontone
IndyFan
 
commontone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwatts
Has he reflected publicly about his role in Hellboy?

Ha, excellent point. He's done that, and is doing the upcoming sequel, and has also done V for Vendetta and some Harry Potter stuff. Not that any of those are bad movies, but it's not like he was breaking some decade-long spell of pure art to do Indy 4.

Personally, I believe Indy 4 probably will probably have more substance and nuance than any of the movies listed above.
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #103
The Stranger
IndyFan
 
The Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Italia
Posts: 302
I'm sure Indy 4 will be a FANTASTIC movie!!
And I would personally like a lot if John Hurt was really playing Abner. It would be a perfect way to create a deeper connection with the original trilogy and one of its most important characters, Marion Ravenwood.

If there's one thing I'm not convinced about (apart from aliens), that is definitely Shia LaBeouf as Indiana Jones' son. He is a GREAT actor, very talented and very nice... but I would somehow prefer if he was simply a "Short Round type" of sidekick, instead of the son of the main protagonist. Don't know... maybe the son of Marion with another man... or maybe one of the young relatives of some old friend of Indiana (Marcus, for example). Maybe it's just me, but I'm ok with something like that, while I still can't see LaBeouf as the son of Indiana Jones...
The Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #104
Kingsley
IndyFan
 
Kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Argentina
Posts: 975
Quote:
A recent report pegs you as Abner Ravenwood, the father of Karen Allen's Marion Ravenwood and Indy's mentor. The man Marion also tells Indy is dead in Raiders of the Lost Ark…[A big grin spreads across Hurt's face] Hmmmm…
How much knew Hurt about Indy's world before filming this movie? Playing Abner or not, is it possible he never heard about him before?

So, if there is no Abner in Indy 4... would this question make him grin?
I know, he doesn't live in a bubble, he probably knows now who abner is anyway. But still...


Where there plans to shoot in Peru?
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #105
commontone
IndyFan
 
commontone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley
Where there plans to shoot in Peru?

That is where the movie takes place, and I think at one point they were considering going there. Then they checked out several other jungles around the world, and decided on Hawaii, mainly it is said for the large tax break Hawaii offers filmmakers.

Personally I think they just weren't up for a complicated, messy globe-trotting adventure anymore, which is kind of sad. I'm sure the tax break thing sealed the deal, but I don't doubt they didn't mind being only a few hours from California.

Peru has a bad history with filmmakers. Werner Herzog and his main actor basically went insane there while filming "Aguirre, the Wrath of God" (aMAZing movie btw).
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 PM   #106
Kingsley
IndyFan
 
Kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Argentina
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by commontone
Peru has a bad history with filmmakers. Werner Herzog and his main actor basically went insane there while filming "Aguirre, the Wrath of God" (aMAZing movie btw).

LOL. Kinski was insane before filming that movie!
Great movie, but the behind the scenes are even better as a result of all that madness


But I would like such an estranged situation in Indy 4, almost surreal. I am hoping scenes like the russian dance deep in the jungle can give such a feeling to the movie.

Last edited by Kingsley : 12-21-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #107
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan
 
Adamwankenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Glasgow, Kentucky
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by commontone
Personally I think they just weren't up for a complicated, messy globe-trotting adventure anymore, which is kind of sad. I'm sure the tax break thing sealed the deal, but I don't doubt they didn't mind being only a few hours from California.

I'm not trying to criticize the film, but with all the location shooting done for Young Indy...
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #108
TheLastCrusader
IndyFan
 
TheLastCrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
I'm not trying to criticize the film, but with all the location shooting done for Young Indy...
Spielberg once said he doesn't want to make a film far away from home for his family.
TheLastCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #109
commontone
IndyFan
 
commontone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastCrusader
Spielberg once said he doesn't want to make a film far away from home for his family.

They were only in Hawaii for 2 1/2 weeks. I'm sure they all could have survived on another continent for that long.
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #110
deckard24
IndyFan
 
deckard24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stranger
I'm sure Indy 4 will be a FANTASTIC movie!!
And I would personally like a lot if John Hurt was really playing Abner. It would be a perfect way to create a deeper connection with the original trilogy and one of its most important characters, Marion Ravenwood.

If there's one thing I'm not convinced about (apart from aliens), that is definitely Shia LaBeouf as Indiana Jones' son. He is a GREAT actor, very talented and very nice... but I would somehow prefer if he was simply a "Short Round type" of sidekick, instead of the son of the main protagonist. Don't know... maybe the son of Marion with another man... or maybe one of the young relatives of some old friend of Indiana (Marcus, for example). Maybe it's just me, but I'm ok with something like that, while I still can't see LaBeouf as the son of Indiana Jones...

I agree with this completely! Hurt as Abner is a great choice, LaBeouf as Indy's son...not so much! I like LaBeouf, but I'd rather Indy not have a kid in the movie. On the other hand, Indy reuniting with Marion would be a great way to end the series!
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #111
commontone
IndyFan
 
commontone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley
LOL. Kinski was insane before filming that movie!

Not to make this a Klaus Kinski thread, but I read that he was actually offered the role of a Nazi villain in Raiders (I'm guessing Tot). But, he said that while he would love to work with Spielberg, the script was "moronically ****ty."

He was a great actor who didn't think Indy was worth his time. Hurt's comments were nowhere near that critical, but it kind of puts things in perspective.
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:02 AM   #112
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan
 
Dr.Sartorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,848
On the front page, Mitchell Hallock's (or who ever wrote the headline) characterization of Hurt's "light-weight" comment is a little misleading. It completely takes his quote out of context.

Also how did Mitchell Hallock become a contributer to TheRaider.net? Just curious.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #113
Kingsley
IndyFan
 
Kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Argentina
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by commontone
Not to make this a Klaus Kinski thread, but I read that he was actually offered the role of a Nazi villain in Raiders (I'm guessing Tot). But, he said that while he would love to work with Spielberg, the script was "moronically ****ty."

He was a great actor who didn't think Indy was worth his time. Hurt's comments were nowhere near that critical, but it kind of puts things in perspective.
Yes, but Kinski wasn't looking for heavier stuff at that time... he was looking for money: "So I sell myself, for the highest price. Exactly like a prostitute. There is no difference."

A reason for Hurt to accept the Indy 4 role was surely the money... but he isn't as raw as Kinski in his comments. Well, few can be so raw in fact
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #114
commontone
IndyFan
 
commontone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
It's too bad about Kinski...he would've been absolutely brilliant as Tot: "We are, uh...not thirsty!"

This is by far the most star-studded cast an Indy film has had. But several of the stars (Ray Winstone, Jim Broadbent, John Hurt) are primarily character actors, who disappear into their roles without dominating the screen. So it should be great.

And, there seem to be a few relatively unknown B-actors in there too, which will help balance things out...Igor Jijikine, possibly Andrew Divoff.
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:58 AM   #115
No Ticket
IndyFan
 
No Ticket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South America, 1936
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by commontone
They were only in Hawaii for 2 1/2 weeks. I'm sure they all could have survived on another continent for that long.

Yeah, but whether or not they were actually in another continent doesn't really matter. It is portrayed as south america (i am guessing) in the movie even though it's not... so either way ya know.

Everyone is so focused on them not having actually traveled to another country. If you really think about how much of each movie is shot on sets. I mean, the castle in LC... the grail temple interior... the inside of the sewers... etc. etc. TOD was almost all sets minus the ending and jungle trek stuff.

I see what the point is, but I don't think it will hurt the film.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #116
commontone
IndyFan
 
commontone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
I also see your point, No Ticket. A lot of the last three were filmed on sets.

But, part of what makes those sets seem real is the juxtaposition with real, on-location stuff. The castle may have been a set, but the exterior is a real castle. The grail temple was a set, but the exterior was a real ancient temple in Jordan. The sewers were sets, but when they emerged at the end they were actually in Venice. etc, etc.

How much of this kind of thing would have been possible with Indy 4 remains to be seen. But, my worry is if Last Crusade had been shot the way Indy 4 is being shot, that the temple exterior wouldn't have been real, but an on-set facade with a blue screen, and computer image of a canyon...does that make sense? I hope Indy 4 isn't forgoing realism to that extent.
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #117
joelwatts
IndyFan
 
joelwatts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 173
When you think about how many matte paintings were used in the previous films, it doesn't really matter too much if they use a bunch of digital matte paintings in Indy 4. Its basically the same concept. So a 'digital' canyon wouldn't be any different than the matte painting cliff from the truck chase in Raiders.
joelwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #118
deckard24
IndyFan
 
deckard24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwatts
When you think about how many matte paintings were used in the previous films, it doesn't really matter too much if they use a bunch of digital matte paintings in Indy 4. Its basically the same concept. So a 'digital' canyon wouldn't be any different than the matte painting cliff from the truck chase in Raiders.


I can't say I really agree with this, because a traditional matte painting has a much more organic feel. As great as some digital work is that is integrated with real life ie. LotR, Harry Potter, etc., there's also a lot of lousy digital matte work that is lacking that personal human touch. It can go either way, and end up looking like a video game like 300. Sadly the days of traditional hand painted matte backgrounds is over. I'm sure though with KotCS ILM will knock it out of the park, but still I'm nostalgic for the work of Ralph Mcquarrie and other masters of matte painting!
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #119
joelwatts
IndyFan
 
joelwatts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 173
digital matte paintings are still paintings, just done with a digital painting program. Some of the digital mattes form the Star Wars prequels fooled me into beleiving they were traditionally painted.
joelwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #120
commontone
IndyFan
 
commontone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
Yeah, they did use matte paintings in the Indy movies...but there were many times they could have understandably used them, but didn't. The lack of foreign travel for this movie might suggest that there are many times they could have understandably used mattes, and did.

Then again, principal photography ended, but they might still be doing second unit stuff. If all it takes for them to get some great establishing shots is to put three guys with a Panavision setup on a plane, they probably will.
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:04 PM   #121
No Ticket
IndyFan
 
No Ticket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South America, 1936
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by commontone
Yeah, they did use matte paintings in the Indy movies...but there were many times they could have understandably used them, but didn't. The lack of foreign travel for this movie might suggest that there are many times they could have understandably used mattes, and did.

Then again, principal photography ended, but they might still be doing second unit stuff. If all it takes for them to get some great establishing shots is to put three guys with a Panavision setup on a plane, they probably will.

Didn't somebody (one of the actors in the film) say that Spielberg was going to do stuff in "layer" or something like that. Using real footage but layering it on top of each other to fool you like a matte painting would I guess?

But yeah, matte paintings. To be honest, digital look as good to me (if not better) than the old style. I can understand wanting to use them, but it's not really all that different.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:52 PM   #122
commontone
IndyFan
 
commontone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket
Didn't somebody (one of the actors in the film) say that Spielberg was going to do stuff in "layer" or something like that. Using real footage but layering it on top of each other to fool you like a matte painting would I guess?

Yeah, John Hurt said that. I think I might know what he means. We know there were huge blue screens behind the pyramid set; perhaps they shot some scenic jungle footage in Hawaii (or Mexico, if the rumor they sent people down there is true).

Then, they're going to layer that actual, photographed footage onto the blue screen behind the pyramid. Maybe that's what Hurt meant by "it's not pure CGI." Meaning, they didn't digitally dream up the matte backgrounds, they're layering real shots on top of each other. That's my best guess...
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:53 AM   #123
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,538
Heh, I can already see the outbreak in here if we happen to get a little footage that's too clearly greenscreen/CGI in Indy IV, yet none of us seems to mind the way-too-obvious trique imagery that's in the LC plane chase for example...
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #124
commontone
IndyFan
 
commontone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Heh, I can already see the outbreak in here if we happen to get a little footage that's too clearly greenscreen/CGI in Indy IV, yet none of us seems to mind the way-too-obvious trique imagery that's in the LC plane chase for example...

Yeah, but that was pretty much the best they could do back then. But nowadays, if they're gonna use bluescreen computer imagery, it's totally possible for it to look absolutely real and perfect. As long as they're taking that road I think we have the right to expect something great given today's standards.

There was some stunning CGI in War of the Worlds (though I was lukewarm toward the movie itself). Spielberg will do it right, I believe.
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #125
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by commontone
Yeah, but that was pretty much the best they could do back then. But nowadays, if they're gonna use bluescreen computer imagery, it's totally possible for it to look absolutely real and perfect. As long as they're taking that road I think we have the right to expect something great given today's standards.
Agree, though even if it's not like this, it'll be a minor hindrance at best if the movie's story and actor performances are there in level with the others.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.