Temple of the Crystal Skull

Inbanana

Just got back from DisneySea... where I geeked out and ended up taking a bunch of photos of their version of the Indiana Jones ride... here's some in case anyone's interested:
totcs42.jpg

Obligatory shot of the pyramid...
totcs80.jpg

...which is actually attached to a long building. (I'm not sure how much is used for the ride, or for shops restaurants... etc.)
totcs01.jpg

Unfortunately, instead of the Raiders truck that they have in California, they have this snack stand instead...
totcs59.jpg

...but they did have a cool Raiders plane.
totcs26.jpg

Another angle...
totcs28.jpg

Random crate... I wonder whats inside?
totcs52.jpg

Bad breath?
totcs57.jpg

45 minute wait... is that worse than Disneyland?
totcs63b.jpg

Not a lot of pictures inside came out so well... like that blurry skull.
totcs69.jpg

Temple at night, right before a huge thunder storm just as we were heading back.
totcs93.jpg

Don't know what this says...
totcs90.jpg

Indy Gear!
totcs84.jpg

Though, I don't know that much about Indy gear, it looks like they had the cheaper Dorfman Pacific hats (the ones without the liner), for about 20,000 yen (about $170)... a jacket for $725, and also a nice looking Raiders whip replica... for about $1,500 bucks! I don't know... can't you get an actual David Morgan one for less than half that? (it was a nice looking whip though...)

chapter11

Wow, that's great! Have you been to any of the other Indy theme park rides? If so, how does this one compare? I've only been to the lame-o Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular at MGM, and that was at least 13 years ago.

Niteshade007

I love the Indiana Jones stunt show!

Those pics look great. I've never been to DisneySea, but it looks really cool. I see quite a bit is written in English, but I've heard that if you don't know Japanese, it makes it difficult to enjoy the rides. Is this true?

Inbanana

chapter11 said:
Wow, that's great! Have you been to any of the other Indy theme park rides? If so, how does this one compare? I've only been to the lame-o Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular at MGM, and that was at least 13 years ago.
I've wanted to go to the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular since they opened... but I haven't been able to go to any of the other attractions yet... (and I think that the last time I was at Disney Land must have been in the 80's... so I haven't seen that one yet either.) I'll probably be back in the states for the holidays, and then hopefully I can come back again... around the end of May... but I don't know when I can get a chance to see the other Indy rides...

Inbanana

Niteshade007 said:
I love the Indiana Jones stunt show!

Those pics look great. I've never been to DisneySea, but it looks really cool. I see quite a bit is written in English, but I've heard that if you don't know Japanese, it makes it difficult to enjoy the rides. Is this true?
Ya, my Japanese is still pretty bad... I didn't know what Indy was saying until I watched the Temple of the Forbidden Eye version on youtube (which I imagine must be pretty similair...), but its not to hard to guess whats going on. I think its the same with the other rides if you're familiar with the original or the movies they're based off of...

No Ticket

That's awesome. I've been wanting to see some more pics of the ride. Inbanana, do you live in Japan, or were you just visiting? I've always wanted to go to Japan... and if I ever go I might try to swing by DisneySea if I can.

Thanks for posting!

Inbanana

That was my second time to DisneySea... the first was when I was on vacation a few years ago... but since then, about a year ago, I moved to Japan. Tokyo is is still kinda far from me though... like two and a half hours by bullet train. (a normal train or bus is cheaper, but its like eight hours, which I found out when we missed the last bullet train back... heh) ...and the Tokyo Disney Resort isn't really in Tokyo... but in the next prefecture... but I guess they just call it that 'cause everyones has heard of Tokyo. Anyway... ya, if your in Japan I'd check it out (though the humidity is brutal this time of year, its right next to the water), and, there's also Universal Studios Japan if you're around the Osaka area...

No Ticket

IndyFan89 said:
Looks like alot of fun! Is it hard to navigate the park because of the languge or is alot of it translated?

I have seen a lot of things from Japan and it seems that the English language pops up more than not... so I would imagine it probably was.

Inbanana

IndyFan89 said:
Looks like alot of fun! Is it hard to navigate the park because of the languge or is alot of it translated?
It's not that hard to get around, not everyone speaks English, but most people can at least read it here since they have to study it school... especially younger people... It also helps that a lot of signs are in 'Romaji'... plus they have English leaflets/maps at the parks... but I was surprised that a lot of the staff didn't seem to speak English that much.

No Ticket

That last one with the rope bridge at the bottom of the pic and the temple in the background is perfect. Looks like a shot from a movie.

Inbanana

Moedred said:
Were I mischievous, I would send the blurry skull picture to the movie spoiler sites...
Heh... if it came out a little better, it might be worth a try. I tried to get some shots inside the ride... but it was just too dark and the jeep was bouncing around too much...

Of course Disney's English translations are perfect. These aren't:
http://www.engrish.com/
Oh yeah, I love that sight...

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for sharing the pics!(y) (y)

It seems to me that Disney learned from the Disneyland, CA version of the ride and "plussed" it up for the DisneySea version.

kongisking

You lucky dude!!! Well, I guess this sort of confirms the Crystal Skull MacGuffins then, huh? :cool: Spielberg wouldn't approve a park like that with all the controversy over the C-S being very well publicised. That's like making a Harry Potter ride promoting a new 8th book which features Harry's kids, and then finding out that Rowling wrote something completely different! Fans would be ****-themselves-angry for the deception! So now it's official.

Naysayers of the Skull idea; it's time you best get over it. It will only ruin your viewing experience if you still reject the idea. Hell, I bet the Vatican was probably upset over the liberties taken with the Grail in LC! :p

Moral: you can't win 'em all. :rolleyes:

kongisking said:
You lucky dude!!! Well, I guess this sort of confirms the Crystal Skull MacGuffins then, huh? :cool: Spielberg wouldn't approve a park like that with all the controversy over the C-S being very well publicised. That's like making a Harry Potter ride promoting a new 8th book which features Harry's kids, and then finding out that Rowling wrote something completely different! Fans would be ****-themselves-angry for the deception! So now it's official.

Naysayers of the Skull idea; it's time you best get over it. It will only ruin your viewing experience if you still reject the idea. Hell, I bet the Vatican was probably upset over the liberties taken with the Grail in LC! :p

Moral: you can't win 'em all. :rolleyes:

According to this website the ride opened in 2001. It is very fascinating that it corresponds to what has been confirmed or nearly confirmed about the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Especially in light of the fact that it was revealed that Lucas has had crystal skulls in mind for a long time its possible he used some of those ideas for this ride and many were incorporated into the story of the movie. People over there must be hyped by this ride now, they get a possible sneak preview of the movie in its proto-form.

I mean we have crystal skulls, south america, jungle, a temple all of which have been confirmed or heavily rumored.