TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 11-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #101
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeemedChild
It would also help if they'd reboot the TinTin comics with a more catchy art style drawn by someone like Joe Madureira of 'The Avenging Spider Man' or Filipe Andrade of 'John Carter A Princess of Mars'.
Ought to slap you for that one, brat.

The only justification for a reboot is when a series' style or premise has fallen behind with the times. Tintin shows no signs of this at all, more like the contrary. It has born the test of time like a champ. One of the main reasons why these stories are so popular are because Hergé got the visual style nailed down for 'em to a boot.

*grumble*... I've permbanned men for less idiocy.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #102
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
The Adventures of Finnfinn...got to write them up some day.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #103
Attila the Professor

And to go with Finn's outrage...

Quote:
All I see advertised on television is that AWFUL Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol rubbish.

Man, it's Brad Bird. In live-action. You know how many people who don't care about Mission Impossible or Tom Cruise are going to see this because of who's directed it?
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #104
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Man, it's Brad Bird. In live-action. You know how many people who don't care about Mission Impossible or Tom Cruise are going to see this because of who's directed it?

Me. But then again, I've seen the previous three in the theatre and didn't like any of 'em. Well, I did enjoy the first one. I was going to pass on Ghost Protocol until I saw Brad Bird's name attached to it.

Quote:
It would also help if they'd reboot the TinTin comics with a more catchy art style drawn by someone like Joe Madureira of 'The Avenging Spider Man' or Filipe Andrade of 'John Carter A Princess of Mars'.

Yes, you should be slapped. And repeatedly. Especially for mentioning Joe "I can't finish anything." Madureira.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #105
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

This came out in Ireland in October, so I've been lucky enough to see it two months before you US citizens!

Its excellent. In particular its lean and streamlined, with a focused narrative that only digresses pointlessly once, and even that digression is semi-relevant to the main thrust of the story. This was a refreshing change in an age where most blockbusters cram in too many subplots resulting in hastily wrapped endings.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #106
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

@Finn, Oh, I'm terribly sorry. Please forgive my terrible and unwise blunder.

@Atilla, I really and truly didn't realize that Brad Bird (the genius behind The Incredibles) was directing this MI movie. I guess I shall have to change my stance on that one on account that he is at the helm.

@Le Saboteur, Ouch, those blows hurt man. Must you slap so violently?
Anyway, in all seriousness I must admit that I really do enjoy Joe Madureira's art style.

Anyway, Herge's art is quite unique and very classic to say the very lest.
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #107
Finn

Is it just my imagination kid, or did you just take a try at sarcasm?

If so, that permban just turned from a simple desire to necessity.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #108
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Quote:
Is it just my imagination kid, or did you just take a try at sarcasm?

If so, that permban just turned from a simple desire to necessity.

No Finn, I wasn't trying to be funny. I mean I am sorry if I offended you in regards to the art form because I know that I do need to refine my taste to appreciate simple artistic styles like those of the classic TinTin comics and not always desire or want the flashy and flamboyant styles that we see in modern comics.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #109
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Gotta say, I'm more looking forward to Paranorman. Masterful stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/rg/VIDEO_PLAY/LI.../vi3183517209/
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #110
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Ought to slap you for that one, brat.

The only justification for a reboot is when a series' style or premise has fallen behind with the times. Tintin shows no signs of this at all, more like the contrary. It has born the test of time like a champ. One of the main reasons why these stories are so popular are because Hergé got the visual style nailed down for 'em to a boot.

Classy!

I used to think that Picasso's work should be rebooted to make his figures look more human. Until I understood why they were the way they were.

Talking of 'banned'...

Quote:

Yeah, I'm aware of all the controversy surrounding it so I'm not sure how easy it's going to be grabbing one, but there're English copies out there, nevertheless...

...these are generally sold in the UK with a 'belly band' warning of controversial material. Thankfully the book itself was not banned. (Otherwise they'd have to ban/edit edit every Asterix book containing the pirates, or every 'racist' caricature of a big-nosed, big-bellied idiotic white person).

I doubt we'll see Spielberg direct Tintin in the Congo next, unless he reboots it.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #111
Finn

Quote:
No Finn, I wasn't trying to be funny. I mean I am sorry if I offended you in regards to the art form because I know that I do need to refine my taste to appreciate simple artistic styles like those of the classic TinTin comics and not always desire or want the flashy and flamboyant styles that we see in modern comics.
Okay, that's it. I'm going to search your locker, and god forbid if I find the collected works of Nietzsche in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
I used to think that Picasso's work should be rebooted to make his figures look more human. Until I understood why they were the way they were.
This must be what those cops thought too. You know, the ones who got on the scene when Professor Picasso once got mugged in Barcelona. They asked him if he had seen the guy, and after his description, they managed to round up 17 men, eight women, three circus bears and a children's tricycle.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:15 AM   #112
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
Gotta say, I'm more looking forward to Paranorman. Masterful stuff.

Start a thread. I'm looking forward to the movie, but I still hate that trailer. It's like somebody dubbed over it because of copyright issues with the original soundtrack/dialogue.

Does anybody remember the animated series that ran on HBO a few years back? I only saw a couple of them, but it was superbly done. If you're interested, it's available on video for a nominal sum.

Collectors of collectibles might want to stop by Weta Workshop's site to check out their models and whatnot. They've done some fantastic work, and I'm lookig forward to The Art of the Adventures of Tintin.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #113
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
Does anybody remember the animated series that ran on HBO a few years back? I only saw a couple of them, but it was superbly done.

I suppose it must be the same production, but I have Anchor Bay's 10 disc 75th Anniversary set:

I've only watched a few of them. I find that Tintin suffers from lame slapstick humour (of the KOTCS kind). Hergé will always be in the shadow of Goscinny and Uderzo, though I wouldn't mind a set of those Tintin cars Atlas put out. But they cost and arm and leg.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #114
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
I doubt we'll see Spielberg direct Tintin in the Congo next, unless he reboots it.

Makes you wonder what caricature of native africans would be acceptable...

Which representatives of the Congo objected to the portrayal?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #115
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Makes you wonder what caricature of native africans would be acceptable...

That was a question I originally posed in my post, before deleting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Which representatives of the Congo objected to the portrayal?

Quote:
Tintin in the Congo not racist, says Belgian judicial adviser

Reuters

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 1 November 2011 10.35 GMT

A Belgian judicial adviser has recommended the country's courts reject a legal bid to have a book featuring fictional boy hero Tintin banned for racism, court documents showed.

Valery de Theux de Meylandt, a Belgian Procureur du Roi whose opinion is requested and typically followed by the court, advised judges in a written statement to rule against campaigner Bienvenu Mbutu Mondondo's application to have Tintin in the Congo banned for racism.

De Theux de Meylandt said in the document seen by Reuters that Tintin author Georges Remi (better known as Hergé) did not intend to incite racial hatred when he depicted his cartoon hero on an adventure in the former Belgian colony in a 1931 work that was updated in 1946.

"The representations (of African people) by Herge are a reflection of his time," De Theux de Meylandt wrote.

Intention is a key criteria in substantiating a charge of racism. The court is expected to deliver a judgement rejecting or accepting Mondondo's argument that the book's depiction of Africans is racist.

"We see in particular that Tintin in the Congo does not put Tintin in a situation where there is competition or confrontation between the young reporter and any black or group of blacks, but pits Tintin against a group of gangsters ... who are white," De Theux de Meylandt also wrote in the statement.

Tintin in the Congo was one of a series of comic books about the adventures of a boy journalist and his dog Snowy, which were first published in 1931. Mondondo has taken aim at the modern version of the updated 1946 book.

The court case comes at a time when Tintin's popularity is on a comeback with a new Hollywood film from director Stephen Spielberg about the intrepid Belgian boy journalist on an adventure alongside Snowy, Captain Haddock and Inspector Thompson.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #116
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
That was a question I originally posed in my post, before deleting it.

Thanks just read a quick snippet but couldn't find examples of what he found "racist."

I saw something that espouses the Africans were drawn like monkeys, but Remi drew monkeys markedly different.

Heh, "Remi"!
Old 12-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #117
Moedred
Administrator

There are several repackagings of the books, but this is the cheapest way to own the set.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1405228946
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0316006688
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0316003751
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #118
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

@Joe Brody, Yes, I saw the trailer for that movie along with the teaser poster for Hotel Transylvania featuring the voice of Adam Sandler.

I've got only one question before The Adventures of TinTin opens here in the United States to those who've seen it already internationally.

Is there any after the credits footage to lead viewers into the sequel? I ask because the sequel has already been confirmed as can be see in the following link: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=50706
Old 12-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #119
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Quote:
@Joe Brody, Yes, I saw the trailer for that movie along with the teaser poster for Hotel Transylvania featuring the voice of Adam Sandler.

I've got only one question before The Adventures of TinTin opens here in the United States to those who've seen it already internationally.

Is there any after the credits footage to lead viewers into the sequel? I ask because the sequel has already been confirmed as can be see in the following link: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=50706

No, there isn't.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #120
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oki9Sedo
No, there isn't.

Oh, thanks.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #121
Henry W Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Kennedy
I think we're done with the adventures of Indiana forever, I know there has been talk of locations up and even writing a script for a new Indiana. But there is nothing of that. We are busy with other projects. Also, I have the feeling that when Indiana has passed, now is the time of Tintin: Tintin will be the new Indiana.

I found TinTin to be highly entertaining but it is no Indiana Jones by any stretch. It has some of the same elements but it is too kid oriented to compare it to Indy. The music is JW and it definitely could be used in a Indiana Jones film. The action is good enough to keep you entertained. Snowy the dog is the most like Indy out of the characters in the film. He seems to have most of the brains and has a good bit of the action scenes where he is the hero. I did love the opening scene where they threw in a nod to the original TinTin artwork. The movie is really good but I do have a problem with Kennedy saying it is the new Indiana.
Henry W Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #122
Moedred
Administrator

It's a bit depressing that in North America, Chipmunks (a guy screwing around with a tape recorder!) is at $100M and Tintin is at $50M. I reckon Spielberg spent the past month wishing he could say "Yes! Tintin's the dog! It's a talking *&#% dog. And don't forget the talking horse movie." Sure they should have released it internationally months ago, and put cheap trade paperbacks in front of American children years ago. But it's doing well enough. This may be the cost of launching something new, nearly everything above it is from an existing franchise. If Peter Jackson keeps mentioning Tintin 2 during all the Hobbit hype, a Tintin trilogy just may happen. We may even learn how to spell it!
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #123
DaFedora
IndyFan

Oh look, another Belgian cartoonists' animated work - The Smurfs (by Peyo aka Pierre Culliford) - is even topping the revenues of The Adventures of Tintin worldwide.

At rank 8 - The Smurfs - grossing $562.5 million worldwide
At rank 18 - The Adventures of Tintin - grossing $322.4 million worldwide
(source: http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/char...ldwide&yr=2011)

Would Smurfette [or Katy Perry's voicework] have anything to do with that?

I'm not the biggest connoisseur of Tintin, even though I read most of the comics too. But there is in general a low amount of female characters or sidekicks in the Tintin stories to note, besides Bianca Castafiore.
DaFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #124
DaFedora
IndyFan

With regards to the Tintin sountrack

The John Williams soundtrack (big collector myself) has great moments and familiar 'rollercoaster' elements to it.

Can't help but think the 'Secret of the Scrolls' has something ghoolish and Harry Potter-like to it. Not that surprising

'Flight to Bagghar', 'Escape From The Karaboudjan' and 'The Pursuit of the Falcon' are marvelous work. The first two could have easily fitted in a Star Wars (Episode II) / Indy chase scene (Scherzo for Motorcycle & Orchestra still makes me smile everytime I put it on) and 100% JW !

'Pursuit of the Falcon' and 'The Clash of the Cranes'... needless to add praise for them

I must say the use of oboe and saxophone does add a special character to the Tintin soundtracks. Thank God Tintin is more than a children's comic - it's basically for all ages. So the more quirky, slapsticky parts are understandable.

Over all, a balanced soundtrack with ample 'darker' parts to it. Had to get used to the overtones of accordeon at times, making the soundtrack a bit more cheesier (referred to as 'Mickeymoused' on youtube and elsewhere).

A very lush score, worthy of an adventure movie with all the classic elements
DaFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #125
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFedora
I'm not the biggest connoisseur of Tintin, even though I read most of the comics too. But there is in general a low amount of female characters or sidekicks in the Tintin stories to note, besides Bianca Castafiore.

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but here in the States, Tintin & Herge have zero name recognition. It doesn't help that animation is considered to be the abyss of the movie going experience; it's for children to enjoy, and nobody else.

Case in point: I was at the movies earlier today taking in We Bought A Zoo, and the usual suspects were doing brisk business -- Game of Shadows, The Devil Inside, Mission: Impossible, & The Darkest Hour. Tintin didn't appear to have much spillover business, and those that were going in were families with really young children. In my experience with the original comics, Tintin, like Indiana Jones, is probably best geared towards teenage boys.

How many women featured in Lawrence of Arabia?

It certainly doesn't help that the only press it gets from the major newspapers is headlines like "Racism, sexism, Herge and Hollywood". That from the San Francisco Chronicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot Magowan
There are two answers, both are true. The first one is that in 2012 sexism is, in many ways, just as accepted and “normal” as it was in 1932. Women are humiliated and degraded all the time, but while racism is seen as a political issue, sexism is still seen as a “cultural” one.

It's hard to imagine all the neo-liberal mothers in the Bay Area trundling Dylan & Montana off to the movies when that's all the advance press you read.

Full article here.

Original blog entry here.

(Of course, we won't mention how much of a crap paper The Chronicle has become.)