World premiere at cannes!

The Golden Idol

Munpa said:
The Cannes banners:
indybannercannes.jpg

The middle banner is the best. He looks so young in it, almost like he was in LC!

The Man

Sky News has a team in Cannes covering the festival, so we may get coverage of Sunday's red carpet event - maybe even early crtical reaction. I caught the tail-end of a report last night which showed the Blindness press conference. The clip ended with a shot of the Palais done up in all it's Indy finery.

God'sRadio

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull will debut on Sunday, 19 years after Harrison Ford last hung up his fedora.

But early feedback from industry executives who were shown the film in Los Angeles last week has been less than positive.

Mindful of the atrocious publicity which greeted the 2006 Cannes opener The Da Vinci Code, when Sony splashed out close to £1 million on a glitzy after-party only for the film to be savaged that night by the critics, Paramount Pictures has downgraded plans for the Indiana Jones launch. In place of the spectacular shindig which everyone was expecting, there will be a low-key "film-makers party" for a select guest list of 250 people ? minuscule by Cannes standards. According to the industry magazine Variety, Indiana Jones "faces a challenge more terrifying and dangerous than anything else he's encountered on screen: the Cannes crowd".

George Lucas, the film's writer and executive producer, has given interviews aimed at lowering audience expectations. "When you do a movie like this, a sequel that's very, very anticipated, people anticipate ultimately that it's going to be the Second Coming. And it's not. It's just a movie, just like the other movies," he said, referring to the Indiana Jones trilogy.

"You probably have fond memories of the other movies. But if you went back and looked at them, they might not hold up the same way your memory holds up."

He added: "You're not going to get a lot of accolades doing a movie like this. All you can do is lose."

Lucas has experience of sequels which struggle to live up to the hype, after reviving his Star Wars franchise in 1999.

The first Indiana Jones movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark, was released in 1981, followed by Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in 1984 and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in 1989. Between them, they have grossed $1.2 billion.

The new film cost a reported $125 million and is set in the 1950s, with archaeological adventurer Indy now a Second World War hero. Ford is back in action mode aged 65, although this time he has a young sidekick, played by Shia LaBeouf.

His adversaries this time around are the Russians, and Cate Blanchett plays a Soviet agent. Karen Allen returns as Marion Ravenwood, Indy's love interest from Raiders of the Lost Ark, and there are roles for British actors Ray Winstone, John Hurt and Jim Broadbent

Director Steven Spielberg has gone to extraordinary lengths to keep the plot a secret, although spoilers are now popping up on the internet.

The scripts were barcoded and watermarked to prevent them from being copied, and screens were erected around the actors whenever they filmed on location to guard the storylines from prying eyes. But those who have seen the film said it failed to recapture the magic of the original, with dialogue and set-pieces as creaky as Ford's ageing joints.

"This is the Indiana Jones movie that you were dreading," wrote one anonymous Hollywood executive, adding that Ford "has a few lines that work and a million that don't".

However, Spielberg and Lucas should take heart from the Da Vinci Code. Despite terrible reviews in Cannes, it went on to gross $757 million worldwide.

From the Daily Telegraph

Kingsley

Cannes is a really mixed up carnaval!

You can see Indy with Dirty Harry, Che Guevara, Mike Tyson(!)... even Maradona with Kusuturica (I want to see that documentary now!)

Dr. HenryJones.jr

oh f*** great banner Indy poster!! I have order from last 3rd. banner of right from german website.
I want all...

oh , soon , very soon Indy in the cinema theatre.

is the premiere in Germany?? no Berlin? only Cannes? *sighs* I think I am alone run with wearing Indy Hat *lol*

In Luxembourg will be on Tuesday Midnight at 00.01 at cinema... with german and french subtitles. Wednsday and Thrusday only: 12.00 (midday), 2.00 (afternoon) 4.00 and 7.00 (evening). I find too pity, because not next saturday and sunday... maybe too early... grrr I can't go at the cinema because I must to work. (n) :mad:

The Man

A Gallic heads-up from the ladies at HarrisonFordWeb...

'Just a little notice to our French visitors:

Harrison will be interviewed on 100% Mag (channel M6) at 18:50. The interview is rerun tomorrow May 17 on Classé Confidentiel at 20:05 and on Ciné Six at 20:40.
'

I have a friend hunting autographs out there, theres not only Ford (with Calistal), Lucas and Spielberg, all arrived yesterday apparently (except Cate Blanchet who was at Cannes since the start), theres also Karen Allen, and today he has seen John Hurt and Ray Winstone. No word on Shia Labeaouf yet or producers/writer

Kingsley

Skylover SC said:
I have a friend hunting autographs out there, theres not only Ford (with Calistal), Lucas and Spielberg, all arrived yesterday apparently (except Cate Blanchet who was at Cannes since the start), theres also Karen Allen, and today he has seen John Hurt and Ray Winstone. No word on Shia Labeaouf yet or producers/writer
The whole family!!
Give us Sean Connery anouncing a cameo and just close Cannes, thare's nothing that can top that!

LOL! just kidding.

Adamwankenobi

Kingsley said:
The whole family!!
Give us Sean Connery anouncing a cameo and just close Cannes, thare's nothing that can top that!

LOL! just kidding.

Connery as Henry Sr.: "I'm shorry I couldn't be in the film shon, but I couldn't reshisht all the lovely ladiesh heah at Cannesh."

Burke

This is from Cannes, thought it was kinda funny.

Ford seems to be like, "Say whaaa?" to TV host/actress Maria Menounos' high-five attempt.

1zn7ki9.jpg

blueseattle

Burke said:
This is from Cannes, thought it was kinda funny.

Ford seems to be like, "Say whaaa?" to TV host/actress Maria Menounos' high-five attempt.

1zn7ki9.jpg

Ford is ripped. He looks better than the shots of him behind the scenes a year ago.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Jeff Wells on his Indy-junket (What was it? Press conference? I dunno*) experience.

There's some grave examples of "journalist acting like an a***hole" in this as well as some really fun and mostly extraneous stuff. But ...it makes you quasi-participate in the whole thing, which is why it's a weird treat to read it.

*Aha. He says it was a "party". Whatever that means...

The Man

torao said:
Jeff Wells on his Indy-junket (What was it? Press conference? I dunno*) experience.

There's some grave examples of "journalist acting like an a***hole" in this as well as some really fun and mostly extraneous stuff. But ...it makes you quasi-participate in the whole thing, which is why it's a weird treat to read it.

*Aha. He says it was a "party". Whatever that means...

Shia in AA? Hmmm. That went down like a ton of bricks.