Why Was the Raiders March Never Used?

IndyFan89

I'm half way thre vol.2 right, i loved the Phantom Train of Doom. I can't stop thinking how stupid it was not to add the Raiders March as the main theme of the show. Did they ever give a reason why? The corny song they got on there really bothers me. When you're sitting on a very famous peice of music, why not use it? :confused:

davros72

IndyFan89 said:
I'm half way thre vol.2 right, i loved the Phantom Train of Doom. I can't stop thinking how stupid it was not to add the Raiders March as the main theme of the show. Did they ever give a reason why? The corny song they got on there really bothers me. When you're sitting on a very famous peice of music, why not use it? :confused:
I don't know for sure. Perhaps a conscious decision to associate the Raiders March only with Harrison Ford's Indy? That might explain why it did show up later in the bookends for "Mystery of the Blues" that featured Harrison as Indy. I can remember watching the first episode of the series when it aired all those years ago and thinking, "Where the heck is my Raiders March?" But I got used to the YIJ theme after a bit.

Cheers!
--Kevin

IndyFalco

I guess you could take this thought to a deeper level and say that the reason why the raiders march was not used for the YIJ adventures was because Indy's character is not yet "developed" enough for such a powerful score.

Its also kind of the reason why Indy's fedora doesn't seem to fit him either. If you notice, its a little big on him. Well, thats symbolizing the fact that he still has room to grow.

That's my thought on that.

(y) (y) (y)

Adamwankenobi

It wasn't used because it represents the adult Indiana Jones. The young Indiana Jones has his own (almost as awesome) theme. :)

Indy Smith

Even in The Last Crusade we don't really hear the Raiders March for Young Indy. The first time we hear the Indy Melody is when Fedora puts on the hat and says "you lost today kid..." And we cut to old Indy.

I liked the theme tune to young Indiana Jones personally and I loved the Phantom Train of Doom theme as well. Very reminiscient of the Belly of the Steel Beast theme from Last Crusade.

oki9Sedo

ResidentAlien said:
I thought it was used in Mystery of the Blues...

It sounded very cheap though.

That whole appearance was pretty poor. Harrison Ford obviously didn't take it seriously. He was playing up to the camera the whole time, almost winking and smiling at the audience, the same way major film stars who appeared on Friends seems tempted to do when the audience cheers.

Dr. Mulbray

I always thought that the young Indy´s theme was a playful version of the Raiders´s march, more suitable for an inexperienced person than a consummate adventurer. I´m not musician, but I think Rosenthal´s theme is the same as William´s Raider´s March, same structure but many more notes, to make it more naive.

IndyFalco

Dr. Mulbray said:
I always thought that the young Indy´s theme was a playful version of the Raiders´s march, more suitable for an inexperienced person than a consummate adventurer. I´m not musician, but I think Rosenthal´s theme is the same as William´s Raider´s March, same structure but many more notes, to make it more naive.

Dr. Mulbray has the point. and it's on similar grounds that I was saying earlier on. The YIJ theme was to represent an inexperienced Indy. raiders march is for an Older/Experience Indy

Stoo

Both of you are dead-on since it's a re-arrangement using many of the same notes.

Indy's Fist

Bottomline: The Raider's March is Harrison Ford's interpretation theme music. No one else gets the John Williams treatment. Besides, like most artists, musicians want to create their own music not borrow from others.

MattJones

Indy Smith said:
Even in The Last Crusade we don't really hear the Raiders March for Young Indy. The first time we hear the Indy Melody is when Fedora puts on the hat and says "you lost today kid..." And we cut to old Indy.

I liked the theme tune to young Indiana Jones personally and I loved the Phantom Train of Doom theme as well. Very reminiscient of the Belly of the Steel Beast theme from Last Crusade.

Well, we kinda heard it a little when Young Indy picked up the Bullwhip, but that goes towards my perspective: The Raiders Theme should come at points of intense Indy-nes, when it really shows the man he'll one day become.

Stoo

Plus, music from "Raiders" (when Indy is approaching the idol) is used in
"Temple of the Peacock's Eye". As Indy and Remy enter the middle temple
you hear a few bars of it!