What happened to Short Round?

Merek Jones

I just finished watching "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". I was wondering, what happens too Short Round? Did he have any other adventures with Indiana? Did he adopt him? I didn't see this around the forum so I am asking.

Oh and I thought it was real funny that Dan Ackroyd was in the movie too. I never noticed it until today. Well thanks for looking! :hat:

deckard24

I don't know what happened to him either, and I've always been curious. It would be cool if maybe they mentioned him somehow in KOTCS, but I doubt it. For Christ's sake he was practically Indy's son in ToD, so I never knew how they just left that hanging. It wasn't like he was some romantic love interest that Indy had fleetingly. For all we knew from the film, Indy had practically adopted him. Why would he never be mentioned again?

It's bizarre... I never got it?

trippweeder

deckard24 said:
I don't know what happened to him either, and I've always been curious. It would be cool if maybe they mentioned him somehow in KOTCS, but I doubt it. For Christ's sake he was practically Indy's son in ToD, so I never knew how they just left that hanging. It wasn't like he was some romantic love interest that Indy had fleetingly. For all we knew from the film, Indy had practically adopted him. Why would he never be mentioned again?

It's bizarre... I never got it?

A cameo for him in Crystal Skull would be sweet, but probably pointless.

deckard24

trippweeder said:
A cameo for him in Crystal Skull would be sweet, but probably pointless.
I agree a cameo would be pointless, but you know they are gonna mention what happened to Sallah, Marcus, Henry Sr.(who I still think will make a surprise cameo), and Willie. So why not Short Round? He was waaaayyyy more important to Indy in TOD than Willie. He had just met her, but she's got a pic on his mantle in the Indy's house doc. on IndianaJones.com? Strange? All these other secondary characters get nods, but nothing for Indy's surrogate son? Maybe he's another surprise in KOTCS, or hopefully at least a loose end they'll tie up if this truly is the last film.

oki9Sedo

deckard24 said:
I agree a cameo would be pointless, but you know they are gonna mention what happened to Sallah, Marcus, Henry Sr.(who I still think will make a surprise cameo), and Willie. So why not Short Round?

I don't see any need to explain where Sallah or Henry Sr. are. They're just not part of this adventure. They're absence needs no explanation.

I don't see any need to explain Willie's absence either. She was his girlfriend, they split up. It happens.

I always felt Short Round's absence does need an explanation though. He was Indy's adopted son, whose real parents are dead. You can't really just drop him like the others.

trippweeder

deckard24 said:
I agree a cameo would be pointless, but you know they are gonna mention what happened to Sallah, Marcus, Henry Sr.(who I still think will make a surprise cameo), and Willie. So why not Short Round? He was waaaayyyy more important to Indy in TOD than Willie. He had just met her, but she's got a pic on his mantle in the Indy's house doc. on IndianaJones.com? Strange? All these other secondary characters get nods, but nothing for Indy's surrogate son? Maybe he's another surprise in KOTCS, or hopefully at least a loose end they'll tie up if this truly is the last film.

Regarding Connery, you may be on the money. It wouldn't kill him to ditch the golf for one afternoon and film the final scene, if it does turn out to be a family ceremony of some kind.

oki9Sedo

trippweeder said:
Regarding Connery, you may be on the money. It wouldn't kill him to ditch the golf for one afternoon and film the final scene, if it does turn out to be a family ceremony of some kind.

"Pish off, I'm not ditching my golf for five bloody minutsh to be in that film. Harrison musht be older than I am at thish stage."

Merek Jones

OK, so you have me interested again. :D Well according to the Wikiapedia for Indiana Jones:

"Actor Ke Huy Quan portrayed Short Round in Temple of Doom.
According to the unauthorized Spanish-language book Indiana Jones: Biografía, Short Round was adopted by a high-society couple—friends of Willie Scott—in New York City, and eventually followed in Indy's footsteps, studying archaeology at the University of Chicago. This account is not endorsed by Lucasfilm. "

Well I am ok with this, but someohow I think that he should have been adopted by Indy. That's my opinion, but if you think about it really, it is implied in the movie that Short Round was Indy's sidekick and that he met him when he was really young trying to pick pocket him. Well for "Short Round's sake" he will be introduced in my next book in memory of him. So my hat is off for him. :hat:

Now for Conry, I just think he is pisse off with the movie industry for his last film, that sucked by the way. So maybe he wants to be remembered for his other roles and leave it at that. Who knows, but I agree that if the ending of the movie has somehow a family reunion of some sort that it would be approperiate to have him in it. At least for 30-1mins. It would funny if they got a guy who looked like him. Some elderly dude. LOL How many of us would be pissed then?

trippweeder

oki9Sedo said:
"Pish off, I'm not ditching my golf for five bloody minutsh to be in that film. Harrison musht be older than I am at thish stage."

Come on, Sean, many have yet to forgive you for that "Zardoz nappy" debacle. You owe us...

deckard24

If anything it seems that a failure to mention him in KOTCS, indicates it's too crowded where "family members" are concerned. That's my only logical guess, but it still seems like a huge loose end to leave unanswered.

I've always though that Connery would like to go out on a hign note where his career is concerned, and KOTC would reunite him with one of his most beloved characeters next to Bond. If money was always the issue, I'm sure that Spielberg and Lucas could come up with a sizable amount, enough to make him happy!;)

An imposter Henry Sr.!! LOL Merek Jones

HAHAHA, that would **** people off in a huge way.

Yeah, I think Indy should have adopted Shorty too!

Trippweeder, maybe he could appear in KOTCS in his Zardoz loincloth? LOL

deckard24

Merek Jones said:
I know it would **** me off. :D
How about an imposter Henry Sr. played by Billy Connoly, an imposter Sallah played by Danny Devito, and the ghost of Marcus Brody played by Hayden Christensen? Oh yeah, and Jackie Chan as Short Round and Bette Midler as Willie!

Adamwankenobi

Getting back to the original topic, yeah, Short Round should have at least a mention in KOTCS. Whether or not Mutt turns out to be Indy's biological son or whatever, it just wouldn't be right to ignore Short Round, who looks up to Indy as a father-like figure in TOD.

oki9Sedo

Adamwankenobi said:
Getting back to the original topic, yeah, Short Round should have at least a mention in KOTCS. Whether or not Mutt turns out to be Indy's biological son or whatever, it just wouldn't be right to ignore Short Round, who looks up to Indy as a father-like figure in TOD.

It would be very difficult to mention or feature him in KOTCS without it being intrusive or coming off as fanboy-ish.

That said, I always felt his absence needed an explanation, not necessarily in the films themselves, but at least from Spielberg or someone in an interview.

deckard24

Adamwankenobi said:
Exactly, it would pretty much make Indy a deadbeat dad!