TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 02-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Shemp
IndyFan

A New DVD Collection?

Does anyone else think they're release a new, or re-release the old DVD collection. I'm guessing they'll do a 4-Pack when Crystal Skull comes out, but what about before?

My problem is when I got the first collection as a gift, when I was younger, I got Fullscreen. I didn't really know the difference except for the "black bars". But now I want to buy a Widescreen one, but I don't want to buy one, only to have a newer one come out later on.
Shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
Finn

There is nothing definite about a 2nd edition DVD release at the moment. They might release a "quadrilogy" box or they may not. I don't think there will be a re-edited trilogy collection to come around the same time as the first KotCS DVD release. We'd heard something about it by now.

Even if they do release one, I doubt that apart from a few possible new extras, we'll get one with the most desired thingies that were not in the current set; commentaries for the original trilogy (they'll probably whip something together for KotCS, I figure). One thing that might urge one to buy the current trilogy collection is that they're pretty much cheaper now than they were back in the day.

To me it's always been about the movies, never the extras so I guess I'll just go with whatever first single-DVD release we get of KotCS. They'll hardly be pushing out a re-edited quadrilogy box at the same time as the first KotCS release and I think most of us around end up getting that one no matter the future ones down the so...

This is what I would do based on the info we have now. Of course, anything can come up, but I don't see the $40-60 (or 30-40) a wasted sum right now even if there'll be something allegedly better down road. It's Indy, after all.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
drjones
IndyFan

You're probably right about all of that, Finn. I just hope at the least that the packaging of the KOTCS DVD will match with the other three from the trilogy box set. Then if a more complete box set is released in the near future, then I'll think about picking that up then.
drjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
martinland
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones
You're probably right about all of that, Finn. I just hope at the least that the packaging of the KOTCS DVD will match with the other three from the trilogy box set.
I don't know: As good as we all hope Indy IV turns out to be, it will always be two separate entities, from a purists point of view: The classic Indy-Trilogy (shot by Douglas Slocombe, sound effects by Ben Burtt, stunts by Vic Armstrong, only one shot composed digitally, etc.) and Crystal. So no need to combine them for me. Of course they will eventually do it regardless.
martinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
TennesseeKorben
IndyFan

I wanna see an HD transfer of the original trilogy! I know they look beautiful even on standard DVD while playin on my PS3, so just think of how pretty they could get in HD!

Sorry, it won't be two seperate entities for me. IJatKofCK is still an Indy film. I don't consider the films a trilogy anyways. Never did. A trilogy usually continues the same plot or story. The Indy films were always just the next adventure in a long series of adventures.
TennesseeKorben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
martinland
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeKorben
Sorry, it won't be two seperate entities for me.
Fair enough.
For me it's mostly because of the time frame and the creative people involved...

Fortune and Glory,
Martin
martinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
Travis85
IndyFan

I want audio commentary .
Travis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
sandiegojones
IndyFan

I think at best what we'd get the same thing that's out there already but on Blu-Ray with KOTCS. I don't think Speilberg wants to make changes any further. They just fixed the snake reflection and finished it. I don't think we'll get special editions or walkie talkies. Speilberg did that to ET only because it is a kids movie.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #9
MattJones
IndyFan

Location: Note about username: I made this back when we thought Shia's character COULD have been Matthew Jones. Oh well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis85
I want audio commentary .

I... do... too...
MattJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
Shemp
IndyFan

I guess I'll just have to buy the old one, for now. The prices have lowered on them.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
TennesseeKorben
IndyFan

Look at that last line; a DVD Re-Release.
TennesseeKorben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeKorben
Look at that last line; a DVD Re-Release.
Is it a re-edition too or simply a new print of the old boxset?
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:19 AM   #13
Salacious
IndyFan

The format war (Blue Ray won) is just nearly over.

I dont have a hi-def blue ray player or a tv that can output 1080p.

I dont plan on buying one for a few years.

Until then, I will just buy the dvd single of KOTS.

I guess when George decides to release the box set of all of em on blueray...and when the Star Wars saga gets a hi-def relase...thats the day I'll go out and dip into the next gen of things.
Salacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #14
AHegele
IndyFan

My guess is that either there will be a rushed blu-ray set of all of them when KotCS comes out on video or just KofCS will get a blu-ray release when it comes out on video with an impressive set of all four plus extras later on in life.
AHegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #15
davros72
IndyFan

From TVshowsondvd.com...

"On the other hand, Paramount is also announcing this morning some Special Edition releases of the first three Indiana Jones films, slated for May 13th, and all of those are earmarked for standard DVD only; no high def is mentioned in the plans."

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sit...continued/9019

I hate the sound of "Special Edition" releases... While I think Spielberg is usually against tweaking his existing films (apart from removing reflections and such), I sense the hand of Lucas in this... Not so much new stuff in the films, more in the line of repackaging with maybe a tiny bit of new extras, as with his multi-releases of the Star Wars Original Trilogy on VHS, Widescreen VHS, LaserDisc, THX-ified VHS, Special Edition VHS, Special Special Edition DVD... *sigh* Lame. But I suppose if it helps keep Indy in the public eye and get the butts in the theater seats for #4, can't complain too much, can we?
davros72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #16
Indy fan 235
IndyFan

Oh boy, something tells me Lucas is going to make all the snakes Indy was afraid of in the Well of Souls turn out to be gummy worms. Or the scene with the Cairo Swordsman, the Swordsman is going to pull out a gun and shoot at Indy when Indy shoots him down.

I really hope Lucas doesn't touch these films like he did to Star Wars. These films are perfect the way they are, and other than cleaning up some f/x shots here adn there, there is no reason to touch these, and honestly, I'd rather him not even touch any f/x shot since they show what was available back when the films were made.
Indy fan 235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #17
Inbanana
IndyFan

I think one of the main mistakes with the Star Wars special editions was that the original trilogy wasn't released on DVD at the same time the special editions were. It was the originals that people grew up with and they wanted those to still be available on whatever the best format was at the time.

When I was a kid (before there were DVD players), my dad had a laserdisc player... I used to love getting the laserdisc versions of movies because of all the extra content. Different versions of movies weren't as common as they are now with DVDs, and usually just targeted at certain collectors. The special edition of Aliens was a great example...

Looking at other threads... some of the main complaints about the Indiana Jones movies are the dated (although they looked kinda bad at the time also) special effects (and I never bought the excuse that it was just because they were trying to emulate the B-movie style... because they were obviously using the latest technology they had at the time). I know its not popular... but I kinda like the sound of a "special edition" version... maybe with the effects cleaned up at least. Just so long as the originals are still available...
Inbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #18
Tsar
IndyFan

No Special Editions please, they killed Star Wars.

South Park fans will recall the 'Free Hat' episode.
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #19
Canyon
IndyFan

Location: Originally from the UK but now living in Pennsylvania, USA!!!
Maybe by Special Editions they mean the movies which include the cut scenes.
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #20
Shemp
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon

I'm sure they'll have a few more features, as well as a re-designed cover, to increase profits.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #21
BadDates
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon

That would be wonderful! I wish that Spielberg wasn't so set against including deleted scenes
BadDates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
Inbanana
IndyFan

From South Park:
Quote:
"All your life has been the pursuit of seeing a great film, this new version of Raiders has digital effects beyond your wildest dreams... You want to see it screened just as much as I..."
Well ok, then it ended up sucking so bad that everyones face melted... but still...

Last edited by Inbanana : 02-19-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Inbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #23
AHegele
IndyFan

damn it.

Why not just wait till Kingdom of the Crystal Skull comes out? Then you can put all out on standard and blu-ray.
AHegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #24
DarthGemni
IndyFan

Lurker here - The Digital Bits just said that Paramount just announced a special edition of the first 3 Indy movies coming out 5/13..no other info ...here is the link, under today's news:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/
DarthGemni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:31 PM   #25
Tyger Cheex
IndyFan

Lucasfilm has had enough of my money thanks to buying and re-buying the star wars films OVER and OVER and Over. White VHS Widescreen 3-Tape Boxed Set anyone? "So you think you've experienced the attack on the deathstar in all it's glory... THINK AGAIN!" Which I cant find
Or the super deluxe pre-special editon limited editon Executor Boxed Set?

And I had the Indy Trilogy on a 4-tape special editon with the 4th tape being "Memories, Friends and 8x10s" hour long featurette for the making of raders! (Still got that, but the other tapes have long since died!)

The only way I'll buy the Indy Trilogy again is if (when?) it comes to Blu-ray! Obviously I'll get KOTCS on Blu-ray but I wont bother buying the original trilogy again unless there are a significant amount of extras on there!
Tyger Cheex is offline   Reply With Quote