TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 02-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Moedred
Administrator

Mata Hari Affair - Luceno novelization

I'm amused it's classified with the youth novels, because it's even racier than Peril at Delphi or Dance of the Giants, in which Indy and Diedre use every moment of down time to shag. I haven't seen the YIJC episode, but I doubt it includes so much sex talk with Remy (ew) or description of the Mata Hari douching. Did Lucas wish to depict every facet of WWI history? I'd post excerpts, but then I might have to moderate myself.

And this is who they tapped to pen the KotCS junior novelization?!

Last edited by Moedred : 02-21-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Perhilion
IndyFan

.....What??? What did I just read?? Sorry, I'm really confused.
Perhilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
metalinvader
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
description of the Mata Hari douching.

You've got to be kidding me.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Edward The Head
IndyFan

No he's not kidding. This was a pretty adult version of young Indy. I read it a year or so ago and was surprised. It wasn't bad, not great, but not bad. Kind of reminded me of being that age.
Edward The Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
I'm amused it's classified with the youth novels, because it's even racier than Peril at Delphi or Dance of the Giants, in which Indy and Diedre use every moment of down time to shag. I haven't seen the YIJC episode, but I doubt it includes so much sex talk with Remy (ew) or description of the Mata Hari douching. Did Lucas wish to depict every facet of WWI history? I'd post excerpts, but then I might have to moderate myself.

And this is who they tapped to pen the KotCS junior novelization?!

Luceno has also written several Star Wars novels. I for one like it that he gives a more adult interpretation of things.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
WillKill4Food
IndyFan

Sure Monkey would like that "more adult" version...
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:54 AM   #7
Violet

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
My God... The novelisation exists? The true Holy Grail of Young Indy Chronicles fandom.... Deirdre and Indy only shag once in "Dance of the Giants", you're thinking of "Seven Veils." That one had the most in it. "Peril at Delphi" was kind of racey, especially when I first read it, age 12.

This guy is doing the KOTCS junior novel? After hearing this, I'm getting for myself rather than my brother.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:21 AM   #8
Little Indy
IndyFan

Curse my luck. I leant this book out to a classmate who "said" she was an Indy fan. Turns out she never gave it back. I'm gonna hunt her down. I want to read that racey stuff again!! Did anymore books ever come out? I looked for more but never found any. The title "Book One" implied others would follow.
Little Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
walker
IndyFan

I believe this was the only book in this particular series (there was also an "intermediate reader" series that is pretty well known, but I think this was the only YA novel.
walker
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

I was always under the impression that The Mata Hari Affair was written as an adult novel, rather than young adult. The way way I look at it is that Mata Hari's involvement alone is always going to bring some sexuality into a story. Plus, in the episode itself there are brief Indy/Mata Hari sex scenes, along wih her suggestive dancing.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:48 AM   #11
Moedred
Administrator

I finally read it, and should have earlier. I was put off by "book one" (there is no book two) and Indy's birthday listed as 1889. But it's a very detailed adaptation of Demons of Deception and deserves to be repackaged as such with suitable cover art. It refers to almost every chronicle before and several after. If Luceno got a crack at novelizing Peacock's Eye, I think he could fill in every gap between this and Peril at Delphi. It has a French vocab list of hundreds, and nowhere does it say "file under young adult." Excerpts:
"Verdun wasn't so much an overworked mine as it was a labarynth out of Greek myths. Except that the fabled minotaur was on the outside." Hmm, maybe Interior World was not just a long drug trip, but also a WWI flashback for Indy?
Remy's ode to Paris: "No stink of piss or **** or death in the air." He proceeds to make "an obscene gesture with his right forefinger and left fist." Tom the ambulance driver says Remy "better report for short-arm inspection when he's through" and grabs his (own) crotch. Tonight, on ABC: "all Indy wanted to do was get his ashes hauled."
Shortly into his "penetration operation," a glimpse at Indy's internal monologue: "What if he couldn't get aroused? What if he got aroused and didn't know what to do? Daniel Beard's American Boys Handy Book hadn't delved into that." Some circular motions of loins, then "it was over almost as soon as it began. Remy had been right about that. But the second time, all credit to M'Greet's instructions, Indy had held out." "Henri had the stamina of youth, rising to the occasion, as it were, time and time again." Cue Raiders March! At the sound of the whip, turn the page.
Next day, Mata Hari "douched with a spermicide solution prepared from a powder supplied to her by an English druggist on rue de la Paix." It's as if millions of Shias suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced! She compares her breasts to "fruits gone bad and squashy."
Finally, here's what I believe is the closest you'll ever get to a Lucas cameo. "What came to mind... was a fragment of a dream from the postcoital nap he and M'Greet had taken. He wondered how Sigmund Freud or Carl Jung or some other alienist might interpret its meaning."
That's all for tonight's Raven after dark steamy book club! Please stack the chairs as you exit.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:23 AM   #12
metalinvader
IndyFan

Heh,I ordered this book a few days ago."fruits gone bad and squashy" How lovely.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:11 AM   #13
Violet

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Hahhahahaha! That was hilarious, actually. Thanks, Moedred! You were right though, it's a hell of a lot more er, erotic than McGregor's novels, (which were the adult novels). I can't believe that was written!
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
tupogirl
IndyFan

Quote:
"fruits gone bad and squashy"
I always felt the dancer was miscast, BWAHAH!!! And that book taught me the word 'Romanesque'. And my mother thought she had to hide her romance novels from me! HA! LOL. I have no idea what happened to my copy though. I'm surprised I have as many Indy books as I do (moved cross country 10 years ago).

And it always irritated me that there was a Book One and nothing else. Because back then, I believed they wouldn't lie to me. *sobs*
tupogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:14 PM   #15
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Back then, they probably believed there'd be a Book Two, too (and a Three, and a Four, and a...). I imagine they just dropped it when the first volume didn't sell well and the TV series got lackluster ratings.

Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #16
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan

i have that right here ill type some in if u want
sunshinestate1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #17
TalonCard
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
Back then, they probably believed there'd be a Book Two, too (and a Three, and a Four, and a...). I imagine they just dropped it when the first volume didn't sell well and the TV series got lackluster ratings.

And how weird is it that they picked those particular episodes to novelize? Why not Curse of the Jackal, or something more Indy-esque to start with?

Having bought and read the book though, I have to say, it's pretty good. I loved Luceno's Star Wars writings for the many little historical details he included. There's a lot more here, presumably because he had real history to draw from. Because of this, it isn't really as erotic as it's made out be be, though.

TC
TalonCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #18
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonCard
And how weird is it that they picked those particular episodes to novelize? Why not Curse of the Jackal, or something more Indy-esque to start with?

I'd love to have seen Luceno do a novelization of the "German East Africa"/"Congo" episodes. Maybe that was gonna be one of the unpublished books.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:56 AM   #19
tupogirl
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip

Yeah, that's what I thought. But it's still sad.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #20
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Indeed it is. On the other hand, if they actually released more, I'd have to pay money for them, and I have no trouble being broke as it is!

Bizarrely, I have yet to actually get around to reading this one. It wasn't quite as high a priority as an original work would be (after all, I've seen the episode), but it's still odd that I let a piece of "Indy lit" go so long without my reading it. I've read all the (first three) movie novelizations, nearly all the (English-language) original novels and most of the comics, but not quite all of those, either. I should go back and reread everything, being sure to incorporate the stuff I missed before.

When I was reading the Bantam / Falcon novel series (MacGregor / Caidin / McCoy) I was pretty diligent at first; frankly, I could hardly wait for new Indy adventures, and really enjoyed the MacGregor ones back in the day, so I pretty much went through them all quite quickly. I found myself less enthusiastic about the Caidin ones, though, and took a while to finish them. By this time I was falling behind, and when I saw they'd now brought in a third writer I hadn't heard of I was losing enthusiasm, and got around to them slowly. I took so long between a couple of his books that I accidentally skipped over one of them, reading the next out of sequence, and didn't realize it until I was partway through already. It's odd that I read those that way, since I actually liked McCoy's books a bit more than Caidin's.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to going back and reading them all, movie and episode novelizations included, but I find I want to get some "reading" copies - I have just my originals of most of them, and, uh, want to keep them more or less pristine as "collectibles." Yes, I know; I really ought to have moved past this sort of thing a long time ago, but it's still there. Blame Sankara for posting his pics of his collection; I now feel like I need to compete with him in collecting, since I'm obviously a way bigger fan than that YIJC-eschewing pretender is. Kidding, kidding... but I actually wouldn't mind reading copies of the Indy books. I did in fact have duplicates of a bunch of them once, or so I remember, but I've been able to find only two for which I have extras. I don't know what became of the others I thought I had...
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #21
tupogirl
IndyFan

I own a few of the novels that I haven't actually read yet. I used to read constantly but life changes. I've also read some that I don't have.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #22
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Finally managed to get a hold of a copy of this, and judging by the stickers on the spine, its had quite a life, I'd love to know how it found its way from a library in California all the way to me.

But anyway.

It was great.. and.. heres the point of this post, it made me see something about the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles I'd never seen before, or perhaps I'd just been denying it to myself..

Now its probably well known that I'm a fairly big fan of Young Indy, I post on these boards only on occasion, and when I do, its usually to defend Young Indy or to agree with Stoo on some obscure point hes brought up.

Which is why this may appear somewhat controversial..

Indy, as depicted in Luceno's book, is far far far more like Indy then he ever appeared as portrayed by Flanery in Young Indy. Far more like a young version of the Indy portrayed in the films. In fact, in my opinion, he appears as Indy should have in televised Young Indy. Some of this is due to subtle changes in events, for example the explanation of the causes of the first world war - In the episode its described for Indy's benefit using vegtables, bits of bread, salt sellers etc- and it concludes with Indy surprised and disheartened by the causes - In the Novel it is Indy doing the explaining, becoming slightly professorial, HE is the one who describes the causes of the war.

Now to me, this is FAR more consistant with the character of Indiana Jones circa 1916, I mean for goodness sake the man met Franz Ferdinand whose assasination sparked the powder keg - he speaks over a dozen languages already, is a keen student of history, has friends already fighting in the war and has the sort of mind that would in no way refrain from investigating the causes of the greatest event the world had yet seen. Now crucially, in his explanation Indy does not come across as cocky or all knowing (which I'll come to in a bit), but merely well informed, as someone points out Indy is never seen with his head out of a book.

Now the thing was, reading the book, Indy, in my head, started off as Flanery, but as events diverged, as new scenes were interjected, he was played by someone else, a young Harrison Ford, who then took over from Sean even in scenes I've seen dozens of times on my TV set, and this new person, this undiscovered actor of the mid nineteen nineties, now living in obscurity in Denver, was far more like Indy then Sean ever was... cos I suddenly realised that the character as depicted by Sean Patrick Flanery is, quite simply, wrong... ooo I feel really wrong myself just typing that.

I don't think Sean ever really got Indy.. Another book I read recently, just before the Mata Hari affair actually was 'the making of the indiana jones chronicles'. Some of the things Sean says in his interviews...

When asked whether he ever had an interest in history Flanery replies in the negative, but then relates the following anecdote

"We shot in Wales with some old land structures and castles and things that were from the 1100s. It was so cold and damp, and leaning out the window, I was thinking, 'I wonder whose elbows were leaning on this brick windowsill back in the 1100s? was it some knight with a spear yanked out of his chest? Was he bleeding?' You just never know"

This is his interest in history, sort of juvenile sensationalism.. while filming Young Indy, a series steeped in history.. all he can think about is blood and guts

Also when talking about traveling around the world filming the show all Sean has to say is that only in Spain can you have a 'proper' conversation with someone as 'they have electricity'

And this is the man playing Indiana Jones? I don't think he ever understood why Indy was an intellectual, not because hes smart, but because of his insatiable curiosity and need to prove himself to his father, (all outlined in the Mata Hari book..) I've always felt somewhat uneasy whenever Sean is trying to be intellectual.. I could never pinpoint it before.. I mean look at Harrison in Raiders, describing the ark of the covenant, teaching his class, describing the legend of the Crystal skull in KOTCS, the grail tablet in Donavans office in Crusade, the legend of the Sankara stones in Doom, he imparts information not in any cocky way but in a 'I just happen to know and so I'm going to teach you' sort of way..

But when Sean imparts it, whenever he imparts it, I never really believe it... when I always did with Harrison.. you know what I mean?

Also, from what I've heard, he allowed himself to get pushed around in different directions by different directors... now I'm an actor, its what I do, I used to be an archaeologist... but, an actor defines their character, if an actor GETS their character then they can't really be pushed around by different director's interpretations.. they can fit the character to the situation, but the CORE shouldn't change.. and sometimes he gets it, he really does, I mean look at Oganga, look at the first part of Winds of Change, but he doesn't allow Indy to age through the end of the war.. hes far too nervous and incapable in Hollywood follies for my liking, always has been.... of course it isn't all his fault.. but hes just not Indiana Jones.. 'The Mata Hari affair' made me see this.. the same story with a different actor was far more indiana jones.

I mean look at young Kirk in the new Star Trek movie.. hes flawed, naive, arrogant, but he utterly GETS the character... The growth of the character is WHY I love the series but... I think Indy is an intellectual first... its his curiosity that leads him to adventure, his NEED to learn... one can be naive and intellectual.. head strong as well... and confidant..

I'm getting off topic here. The book is great, it links together all the episodes, he links him being a courier with his escape from prison at the end of Trenches of Hell on a bicycle, Charles De Gaulle gets a mention, and unlike the episode Indy seems already jaded by Trench Warfare. Its very historical with lots of specific historical detail, and you can really picture the real locations it takes place in. Additions to the Mata Hari part of the tale too makes it make more sense, more intrigue with the police, and Indy realising the error of his ways. Mata Hari too seems more realisticly like Mata Hari, plus it is extra bizzarre considering the weight it puts on her being older then his mother would have been.. She wasn't very well cast either... but thats another story.

Now don't get me wrong, I still love Young Indy, I just think I've discovered its achilles heel, for me anyway.. I wish it wasn't so crucial, but thats that. I mean I love some of the things Sean does, ALL of Peacocks eye, except the sequence in the tomb where hes not very capable (look at him in the background, he looks totally inept) But this book has convinced me its not the writing or the story... so it must be the performance. Sorry Sean.. but theres always been a bit of me unconvinced...

Wish they'd written more of these books.. Indy's flip flopping between archaeology and diplomacy at the end of the war could really have used clarification.

So yeah, that was long. Thoughts?

Last edited by Jeremiah Jones : 07-09-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #23
Stoo
IndyFan

Hey, Jeremiah. Ultimately, Flanery may not have been the best choice but what's done is done and I don't bother fretting about it. He did a decent job and when reading the first couple of MacGregor novels, I can't help but picture him rather than a young Harrison.

Having Indy relate the causes of WWI instead of the other courier with the food is an interesting change and has left me wondering if Indy would've have been up-to-date with that or not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Jones
I'm getting off topic here. The book is great, it links together all the episodes, he links him being a courier with his escape from prison at the end of Trenches of Hell on a bicycle,...
Is there any hint at all that Indy went to Berlin after the bicycle chase? Any mention of a "lovely farmhouse among the hills" as related by Old Indy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Jones
Its very historical with lots of specific historical detail, and you can really picture the real locations it takes place in. Additions to the Mata Hari part of the tale too makes it make more sense, more intrigue with the police, and Indy realising the error of his ways. Mata Hari too seems more realisticly like Mata Hari, plus it is extra bizzarre considering the weight it puts on her being older then his mother would have been.. She wasn't very well cast either... but thats another story.
The casting of Mata Hari's role in the episode doesn't really work for me either so I'd like to read the book. The authour, James Luceno, appears to be a big Indy fan moreso than any other 'hired gun'. Maybe that's why he has a better understanding of what a young version of the character might be like.

Like you said, too bad there weren't more of these novels. This one is very high on my 'want list'!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #24
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Yeah I always imagined Flanery in MacGregor too, which why my sudden mental turn around was so weird to me, I'd advice going on amazon and looking for it, I got my second hand copy for only 62p,so it can't be that rare, its one of the best indy novels I've read though. The detail it goes into regarding his relationship with his father really casts it into high relief and is very well done indeed.

As for the abandoned German episode, as far as I can remember it does mention that he decided to not head home, which would have been his big decision that episode, but other then that, no lovely countryside cottage, or road mending crew for that matter.

Other differences include his espionage mission, in the novel hes accompanied by a pair of Algerian special forces guys, and its much less explosive, almost gritty realism.. Indy talks about Flanders and the Somme and one of the sub plots involves his search for Remy who he hasn't heard from since his reassignment to the courier corps, however this has nothing to do with Remy's fate at the end of Somme 1916, but rather a fresh injury for Remy to deal with, the scene in the church as seen in the episode is the culmination of a fairly extensive search by Indy and an American volunteer Ambulance driver..

The driver is also in the Paris section, where he brings Indy to an airmen party and introduces indy to pilots of the Lafayette Escadrille. The Major changes in the paris section revolve around Indy's arrest at the top of the episode being a second arrest, in the new initial encounter Indy is informed by the Paris police of their suspicions about Mata Hari and asked to do a little bit of investigation, which Indy does. However most of the episode plays out the same in novelized form.

Get it Stoo, that buzz I always get when coming across a scant Young Indy reference in a novel or comic (or film) is continuous and two fold.
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #25
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

" After his stimulating night with the beautiful Mata Hari, Indy went to the nearby cafe and discussed his affairs with Remey. Remey replied it ain't no fuuuuuuun if the homies can't haaaaaaave noooone.

Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote