TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Iandiana
IndyFan
 
Iandiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Away from here
Posts: 169
Genesis Deluge unedited vulgarity

I recently gave my Indy Novels to my kids but remember in one of them Indy shouts "F*** the Sultans, and f*** you!"

I really hated that when I read it as it was totally out of character. Can anyone tell me which book it is so I can do some selective editing
Iandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
xVendetta17x
IndyFan
 
xVendetta17x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 954
Hmmm
I think it may be Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge
xVendetta17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Ah man, don't censor stuff. Context not censorship.

I'd say give your kids a copy of Catcher in the Rye instead, anyway. And leave your permanent marker out of it.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
xVendetta17x
IndyFan
 
xVendetta17x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 954
The character of Indy is never constant
Just let your kids understand that it was under extreme cirumstances when he said it
xVendetta17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
herr gruber
Guest
 
herr gruber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29c Bowler Hat Lane, Brollyville, U.K.
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iandiana
"F*** the Sultans, and f*** you!"

Face the sultans and face you? Flap the sultans and flap you?
I'm a little inexperienced in expletives so I have no idea what you censored.
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Wu_Han
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: VA USA
Posts: 60
Quote:
I'm a little inexperienced in expletives so I have no idea what you censored.

I hope you're kidding.
Wu_Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Iandiana
IndyFan
 
Iandiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Away from here
Posts: 169
Thanks guys. I suspected it was Genesis Deluge. I dunno I think it's way too harsh for Indy to say. I remember reading the book and re-reading that bit over and over because I suddenly felt hollow.

It was the same as when Scott Bakula used the term in Necessary Roughness. "But he was Sam Beckett for 3 years!" I sobbed. Well I was shocked at least.

And ResidentAlien? I think what you're trying to say is "that goose stepping morons like myself should try reading books instead of burning them."
Iandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iandiana
Thanks guys. I suspected it was Genesis Deluge. I dunno I think it's way too harsh for Indy to say. I remember reading the book and re-reading that bit over and over because I suddenly felt hollow.

It was the same as when Scott Bakula used the term in Necessary Roughness. "But he was Sam Beckett for 3 years!" I sobbed. Well I was shocked at least.

And ResidentAlien? I think what you're trying to say is "that goose stepping morons like myself should try reading books instead of burning them."

'Course I didn't say "moron." But I firmly believe in artistic integrity. If they aren't ready for something, they simply aren't ready. But don't butcher a piece for your own end. Either hold off on it or do a little of the old-fashioned parenting stuff and explain the context.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
Iandiana
IndyFan
 
Iandiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Away from here
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
'Course I didn't say "moron." But I firmly believe in artistic integrity. If they aren't ready for something, they simply aren't ready. But don't butcher a piece for your own end. Either hold off on it or do a little of the old-fashioned parenting stuff and explain the context.

Just kidding sir. I admire your principles.
Iandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
xVendetta17x
IndyFan
 
xVendetta17x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 954
I think Indy was extra cynical because his wife had just died
xVendetta17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
I haven't read any of the books, but it sounds like I'm not missing out on much.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
xVendetta17x
IndyFan
 
xVendetta17x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 954
They're alright if you're Indy starved
They create an intresting aspect to his past
xVendetta17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
Iandiana
IndyFan
 
Iandiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Away from here
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by xVendetta17x
I think Indy was extra cynical because his wife had just died

Really must read it again... Wife you say? Now that is context. How can I remember that line so clearly yet nothing else?
Iandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #14
xVendetta17x
IndyFan
 
xVendetta17x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 954
Probably because it was so out of character
And it wasn't something that you'd usually see in the novels
xVendetta17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #15
Indyologist
IndyFan
 
Indyologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 1,940
Indy says "f**k" in Genesis Deluge? Where? On what page? I don't remember Indy ever dropping the f-bomb anywhere.
Indyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #16
Iandiana
IndyFan
 
Iandiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Away from here
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyologist
Indy says "f**k" in Genesis Deluge? Where? On what page? I don't remember Indy ever dropping the f-bomb anywhere.

If I remember correctly (as for some reason my copy always fell open at that page it's either 2/3 or 1/4 of the way through. And he drops that mother****** twice!
Iandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #17
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan
 
Dr.Sartorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,848
I wouldn't exactly consider Indiana Jones to be ideal kiddie reading material...
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #18
xVendetta17x
IndyFan
 
xVendetta17x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 954
I'm not exactly sure
I'll reread it
xVendetta17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #19
Iandiana
IndyFan
 
Iandiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Away from here
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sartorius
I wouldn't exactly consider Indiana Jones to be ideal kiddie reading material...

Why not? Most of us saw the films at a young age. Young Indy was created for kids. Find Your Fate books were all aimed at children. Junior Novelisations are on the way. Action figures. Lego. The initial run of Marvel comics were all aimed at kids. Computer Games. In fact my daughter who is 11 wants to be an archeologist when she grows up. Just as I did when I was only 7.

And because a lot of stuff I type online gets SO taken the wrong way - I'm not being defensive sir. Just curious.

Seriously i'm hiding from a sci-fi forum because I defended the new Knight Rider and they all wanted to lynch me!
Iandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #20
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan
 
Dr.Sartorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,848
I was mostly referring to the adult novels.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #21
Iandiana
IndyFan
 
Iandiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Away from here
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sartorius
I was mostly referring to the adult novels.

Ah. I apologise.
Iandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:52 AM   #22
Violet
Moderator
 
Violet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Posts: 3,159
Actually in truth, the reason why some have seen the sentence in the book and others who have read it have not, is because (and I have mentioned this before) the first edition of "Genesis Deluge" had the f word in it. If you have a later print or a re-print, you will not have the f word sentence. It is replaced by Indy getting gagged before he says the word. So if you have bought your copy recently of "Genesis Deluge", you will not have a problem.

However, if you are concerned about language, I'm somewhat surprised you are not concerned of any sexual references, as many of these particular novels, do have that way more than swearing and would suggest someone of the age of 13-14 to read it. Genesis Deluge, all prints has a rather sexual chapter early in the book.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:57 AM   #23
xVendetta17x
IndyFan
 
xVendetta17x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 954
That's really interesting
But there's your answer right there
If you don't want your kids to read the swear just pick up a later copy
xVendetta17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:19 AM   #24
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Indy
Actually in truth, the reason why some have seen the sentence in the book and others who have read it have not, is because (and I have mentioned this before) the first edition of "Genesis Deluge" had the f word in it. If you have a later print or a re-print, you will not have the f word sentence. It is replaced by Indy getting gagged before he says the word. So if you have bought your copy recently of "Genesis Deluge", you will not have a problem.

However, if you are concerned about language, I'm somewhat surprised you are not concerned of any sexual references, as many of these particular novels, do have that way more than swearing and would suggest someone of the age of 13-14 to read it. Genesis Deluge, all prints has a rather sexual chapter early in the book.


Interesting. Can you tell me what page it's on? I haven't read it yet and I'd like to know what version I have.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #25
Violet
Moderator
 
Violet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Posts: 3,159
If you have the f word print, it will be on pg. 168 or thereabouts. In later prints, it is replaced by Indy's sentence, "You no good sadistic..."
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.