Genesis Deluge unedited vulgarity

Iandiana

I recently gave my Indy Novels to my kids but remember in one of them Indy shouts "F*** the Sultans, and f*** you!"

I really hated that when I read it as it was totally out of character. Can anyone tell me which book it is so I can do some selective editing

Ah man, don't censor stuff. Context not censorship.

I'd say give your kids a copy of Catcher in the Rye instead, anyway. And leave your permanent marker out of it.

xVendetta17x

The character of Indy is never constant
Just let your kids understand that it was under extreme cirumstances when he said it

Iandiana said:
"F*** the Sultans, and f*** you!"

Face the sultans and face you? Flap the sultans and flap you?
I'm a little inexperienced in expletives so I have no idea what you censored.

Iandiana

Thanks guys. I suspected it was Genesis Deluge. I dunno I think it's way too harsh for Indy to say. I remember reading the book and re-reading that bit over and over because I suddenly felt hollow.

It was the same as when Scott Bakula used the term in Necessary Roughness. "But he was Sam Beckett for 3 years!" I sobbed. Well I was shocked at least.

And ResidentAlien? I think what you're trying to say is "that goose stepping morons like myself should try reading books instead of burning them.";)

Iandiana said:
Thanks guys. I suspected it was Genesis Deluge. I dunno I think it's way too harsh for Indy to say. I remember reading the book and re-reading that bit over and over because I suddenly felt hollow.

It was the same as when Scott Bakula used the term in Necessary Roughness. "But he was Sam Beckett for 3 years!" I sobbed. Well I was shocked at least.

And ResidentAlien? I think what you're trying to say is "that goose stepping morons like myself should try reading books instead of burning them.";)

'Course I didn't say "moron." But I firmly believe in artistic integrity. If they aren't ready for something, they simply aren't ready. But don't butcher a piece for your own end. Either hold off on it or do a little of the old-fashioned parenting stuff and explain the context. :hat:

Iandiana

ResidentAlien said:
'Course I didn't say "moron." But I firmly believe in artistic integrity. If they aren't ready for something, they simply aren't ready. But don't butcher a piece for your own end. Either hold off on it or do a little of the old-fashioned parenting stuff and explain the context. :hat:

Just kidding sir. I admire your principles.

Iandiana

xVendetta17x said:
I think Indy was extra cynical because his wife had just died

Really must read it again... Wife you say? Now that is context. How can I remember that line so clearly yet nothing else?

Indyologist

Indy says "f**k" in Genesis Deluge? Where? On what page? I don't remember Indy ever dropping the f-bomb anywhere.

Iandiana

Indyologist said:
Indy says "f**k" in Genesis Deluge? Where? On what page? I don't remember Indy ever dropping the f-bomb anywhere.

If I remember correctly (as for some reason my copy always fell open at that page it's either 2/3 or 1/4 of the way through. And he drops that mother****** twice!

Iandiana

Dr.Sartorius said:
I wouldn't exactly consider Indiana Jones to be ideal kiddie reading material...

Why not? Most of us saw the films at a young age. Young Indy was created for kids. Find Your Fate books were all aimed at children. Junior Novelisations are on the way. Action figures. Lego. The initial run of Marvel comics were all aimed at kids. Computer Games. In fact my daughter who is 11 wants to be an archeologist when she grows up. Just as I did when I was only 7.

And because a lot of stuff I type online gets SO taken the wrong way - I'm not being defensive sir. Just curious.

Seriously i'm hiding from a sci-fi forum because I defended the new Knight Rider and they all wanted to lynch me!