The Indycron

Joe Brody

Let's keep it simple:

Canon = Raiders of the Lost Ark

Near-, or Sub- Canon = Certain scenes from the other films.

UltimateManGod

I'm pretty sure it's official. Leland Chee cited it on his blog as the Indy version of the Holocron. They just happen to use the same level names and such. I was wandering around the wiki when I came across the article.
http://blogs.starwars.com/holocron/34

Edit: All I was doing was giving Lucasfilm's official stance. As for everyone's personal preferences; to each his own.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yeah, but did he say so in his capacity as keep of the canon, or did he just extrapolate from his knowledge - nay, formation - of the Star Wars canon system and admire its usage for that other, lesser trilogy?

UltimateManGod

I believe it's in his capacity as keep of the canon. Here's a couple quotes taken from the Indycron thread at the Star Wars site. http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=261663&tstart=0
The Indycron is our Indiana Jones continuity database, along the lines of the Holocron which we use for Star Wars. It includes story summaries, timelines, and entries for characters, objects, places, and events. It covers not only the movies, but the Indiana Jones TV shows, games, books, comics, and merchandise. We try to make things as consistent as possible so Indy doesn't get his hat twice or be introduced to Wu Han or Marcus Brody twice. We track things like when Indy was born, where and when he went to high school, when and where he got his college degrees, where he teaches and when, what kind of pistols does Indy use, what languages does Indy speak, and other things like that.
The Indycron is the internal continuity database used primarily by Lucas Licensing. Neither the Indycron nor the Holocron are accessible to the public. I'll drop in on this thread on occasion to answer what questions I can.
Seems official to me.

UltimateManGod

Attila the Professor said:
All right. I'm sold. I might not like its contents (but then, I might), but I'm sold on authenticity.

Then my mission was accomplished for at least one person. I certainly had no grand vision of solving the canon dispute with one simple post. I really just wanted everyone to know that Lucasfilm had an official stance on Indy canon and what that stance was. I was just never able to find it until recently. The canon debate will certainly rage on, probably for a very long time.

Adamwankenobi

UltimateManGod said:
The canon debate will certainly rage on, probably for a very long time.

Indeed. I've participated in a lot of Star Wars canon debates, and have seen people go to great lengths to try to discount Leland Chee and his work on the Holocron. It's natural for each of us to have our own opinion on canon, but the official stance can't really be debated.

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
I don't get it. What is G canon, T canon and C and S canon supposed to mean?

In Star Wars terms:

G = The films, certain deleted scenes, the scripts, the novelizations and the radio dramas.

T = Television canon; It consists of the two upcoming television shows (The Clone Wars and the live-action series). What's strange is that none of the other Star Wars TV material (Droids, Ewoks and the original Clone Wars cartoons, or even the two live-action Ewok films), which were executive produced (and in the case of the Ewok films, co-written, edited and executive produced) by Lucas, are not included in this category. This leads us to:

C = Basically all Expanded Universe material that ether doesn't contradict the films, or has had contradictions that have been reconciled with the films (aka retconned).

S = Mostly older stuff that hasn't been fully integrated into canon. This is stuff like the old Marvel comics series and The Star Wars Holiday Special. Only certain elements of the stories in this category are considered canon. If something from a higher level source references an S-level source, then that elemnt becomes canon.

There is also N canon, which is all material that is flat out non-canon.

The Holocron (and Indycron) mostly serves the purpose of keeping everything organized for the LucasBooks and LucasArts authors, who all take continuity very seriously. And since Lucas can't even keep his own films straight, he was known to have checked with the Holocron from time to time while working on the prequels, and has both incorporated and rejected some EU with his films.

Phew. :eek:

Last edited:

Stoo

Adamwankenobi said:
G = The films, certain deleted scenes, the scripts, the novelizations and the radio dramas.
Got 'em all. (Except the "Empire" radio show. It wasn't aired in Canada).:(

none of the other Star Wars TV material (Droids, Ewoks and the original Clone Wars cartoons, or even the two live-action Ewok films)
Got 'em, got 'em, got 'em!:D Strange that they're not included...

S = Mostly older stuff that hasn't been fully integrated into canon. This is stuff like the old Marvel comics series and The Star Wars Holiday Special.
Got all the Marvels. Saw "Holiday Special" on TV and picked up a superb
copy on VHS exactly 20 years later.

The Holocron (and Indycron) mostly serves the purpose of keeping everything organized for the LucasBooks and LucasArts authors, who all take continuity very seriously. And since Lucas can't even keep his own films straight, he was known to have checked with the Holocron from time to time while working on the prequels, and has both incorporated and rejected some EU with his films.
Indycron? Sounds kind of silly to me. At least put the "h" in "cron".:rolleyes:
Also, that rating system...Wouldn't A-B-C be a little easier to understand?
Sorry, but that Indy "wiki" has some atrocious entries in it.

Anyway, Adam, thanks for your detailed reply!:hat: It clears things up a lot.

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
Indycron? Sounds kind of silly to me. At least put the "h" in "cron".:rolleyes:
Also, that rating system...Wouldn't A-B-C be a little easier to understand?
Sorry, but that Indy "wiki" has some atrocious entries in it.

LOL, true! Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post wrong, but I'm not sure if I fully explained myself. :confused: I was going by how Lucas Licensing classifies things. See http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=152583&tstart=0 and http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=261663&tstart=0 for Leland Chee (aka Tasty Taste)'s official explanations.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I saw Leland Chee referenced in every new Indy book, and dubbed Keeper of the Indycron twice. Like the Holocron, it's "a tool to track everything that is currently in development. Information is entered at the earliest stages, so there is information about products that won't be released until years later." Ooo, I'd love to browse that!

Kooshmeister

Regarding the Star Wars Expanded Universe, although it has its ups and downs one of the positive things about it is that it has awarded names to otherwise nameless characters in the films. I'd like to see that done with Indy.

What does everyone else think? I mean, how would everyone feel if the German Mechanic got an actual, proper name? He needn't have a detailed backstory at all, like all the pointless background aliens in the cantina and Jabba's palace. Just a name.

This has already been done to a certain extent. The Nazi officer only identified as "Tall Captain" in the script and credits for Raiders is now named Captain Mohler, because that's what he's called in Campbell Black's novelization. Also, the Shaman in Temple of Doom is named Marhan (although I don't know where that comes from; the Ultimate Guide?).

Stoo

Good one, Lao. I *think* he has said something to the effect that they are in limbo but Old Indy's hands closing the diary at the end of every DVD contradicts this.

Of course, the real answer to the Omnibus question should be: The bookends cannot be deleted from the comics because they (and the narration) are interwoven into the stories. They can't be removed without extensive editing or re-doing many of the panels.

I sumbitted a couple of questions/issues to Moedred for the Leland Chee interview but was, unfortunately, too late.:(

Stoo said:
I sumbitted a couple of questions/issues to Moedred for the Leland Chee interview but was, unfortunately, too late.:(

I joined the Star Wars boards because he posted answers to Indy questions there...(a long time ago), and inhopes of getting an interview for the Indy Cast.

I have a few questions for him too, I can't believe I missed a post for submitting questions! Where did you find this one out? :confused:

Interesting interview, it read kind of like text messages, what was the forum?

If not, he seemed rushed and frigid in his responses.