TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Archaeology
User Name
Password

Old 03-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
Gear
IndyFan

Hitler's Armageddon Machine

Did anyone else watch about this on History Chanel's program "Cities of the Underworld"?

For those who didn't they were in Prauge investigating secret relics from the Nazi ocupation. Their last stop was a deep quary 20 miles from Prauge called "Amerika" were, legend or truth has it, Hilter had a crue of scientists build a device which, if the Nazis lost the war, would destroy the Earth in a dramatic climax.

The device had enough Uranium stored in it to create a nuclear explosion and if the machine was activated it would drill to the center of the Earth and detinate. Scientists believe that the Earths core is made with high amounts of Uranium and that Hitlers dooms day weapon would have at the VERY LEAST vaporized half the planet... at the very least.

Obviously, his creation never got a chance to unleash its destruction but it is believed that it still exsists. However, the Amerika quary is colapsing and is demmed too dangerous to explore for the WMD.

Fascinating...
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Snakes
IndyFan

Thats insane! I knew of Hitler's crazy doomsday ideas, but this takes the cake. There are quide a few unrealized nazi sci fi inventions: jet packs, death rays, you name it. Makes for great fiction because it was almost reality!
Snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
Gear
IndyFan

Yup.

"I'm starting to see Hitler's interest in this..."
Old 03-05-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
No Ticket
IndyFan

I've never heard of that before. Can you provide a link, a video or something... I'd like to read more about that.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Gear
IndyFan

http://www.history.com/minisite.do?c...&mini_id=53900

Cities of the Underworld: Hitler's Last Secret

Next airing: Thursday, March 13. 10:00 PM.

This was really the most I could find at the moment, sorry.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
fixer79
IndyFan

Darn, we don't have the History Channel out here...
Is it connected to National Geographic Channel? Maybe they'll air it there then!

Anyway, Gear, it sounds mighty interesting!
Sometimes reality really surpasses fiction...
Thanks for the info
fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
whipcracker666
IndyFan

I did see the preview but didn't actually get to watch the episode. Although the more I hear about it the more it sounds like the plot of that Kubrick film "Dr. Strangelove" , except in the movie it was Soviet Russia that had the doomsday device not Nazi Germany. And it took place during the cold war, much later than WWII. other than that it sounds like the same scenario.
now that I think of it thats probably where they got the idea for the movie.
whipcracker666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
Gear
IndyFan

The Hitler years are fascinating. Its amazing what he did in his position of power. He sent expeditions looking for artifacts such as Excalibur, Star Gate, the Holy Grail, Atlantis, the Lost Ark, signs of a hollow Earth and its said that the Third Reich had contact with aliens who, they believed, were the Aryan Race of whom they were descendants of.

And of coarse all of this makes for great block busters.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:59 PM   #9
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipcracker666
I did see the preview but didn't actually get to watch the episode. Although the more I hear about it the more it sounds like the plot of that Kubrick film "Dr. Strangelove" , except in the movie it was Soviet Russia that had the doomsday device not Nazi Germany. And it took place during the cold war, much later than WWII. other than that it sounds like the same scenario.
now that I think of it thats probably where they got the idea for the movie.

The movie's based on a book called Red Alert. And Red Alert and Fail Safe were both very similar, both had movie adaptations in 1964... and a lawsuit came about because of the supposed plagiarism of Fail Safe upon Red Alert...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Alert_%28novel%29
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
The movie's based on a book called Red Alert. And Red Alert and Fail Safe were both very similar, both had movie adaptations in 1964... and a lawsuit came about because of the supposed plagiarism of Fail Safe upon Red Alert...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Alert_%28novel%29

Wasn't there a black-and-white TV remake of Fail Safe with Harvey Keitel awhile back? I haven't seen either of them.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #11
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Wasn't there a black-and-white TV remake of Fail Safe with Harvey Keitel awhile back? I haven't seen either of them.

I know there was a remake... dunno who was in it and I'm too lazy to look right now.

I've only seen pieces of the original.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
fixer79
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear guardian
He sent expeditions looking for artifacts such as Excalibur, Star Gate, the Holy Grail, Atlantis, the Lost Ark, signs of a hollow Earth and its said that the Third Reich had contact with aliens who, they believed, were the Aryan Race of whom they were descendants of.

Star Gate?
I doubt that the film was based on any existing legend or myth...
Or was it?
fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
Insomniac
IndyFan

Two words: Project Vulcan (Austin Powers)
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
RichardJones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
Two words: Project Vulcan (Austin Powers)

Death Star
RichardJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #15
Gear
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer79
Star Gate?
I doubt that the film was based on any existing legend or myth...
Or was it?

As far as I know its a true mythological machine, however, I've tried looking for information on it with the web before and its hard as Hell to do so; all you can find are sites about the TV show (which sucks BTW... in my opinion of coarse) and video games. Right now I don't have a whole lotta time on my hands though. ... so what am I doing on the Raven???? !
Old 05-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
AlStewart
IndyFan

I've done a little digging on the Nazi's technology developments, and I have to say, while it is fascinating, it also scares the hell out of me that they were
a) so deluded over certain ideas
b) so close to completing so many powerful weapons

Although I've not heard of the Amerika quarry, it sounds a little like The Bell (http://www.americanantigravity.com/einstein.shtml), but that was in Poland, and there's a lot of uncertainty over what it was.
AlStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #17
whipem
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlStewart
I've done a little digging on the Nazi's technology developments, and I have to say, while it is fascinating, it also scares the hell out of me that they were
a) so deluded over certain ideas
b) so close to completing so many powerful weapons

Although I've not heard of the Amerika quarry, it sounds a little like The Bell (http://www.americanantigravity.com/einstein.shtml), but that was in Poland, and there's a lot of uncertainty over what it was.

That's some interesting stuff, I read some of the pdf discussing the Nazi implementation of Einstein's work. I remember watching a special on this, but it was probably just the last fifteen minutes or so before the X-Files came on. Still, it's a part of WWII history that isn't that well known, probably because a lot of it is speculative.
whipem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #18
AlStewart
IndyFan

I think you nailed it when you said it was speculative.

There seems to have been a lot of weird stuff going on which just got even more confused in the chaos at the end of the war, which makes corroborating any of it even harder. Which is a pity because it is fascinating stuff!

Certainly some of it disappeared into black programmes all over the world, but I'd say most of what conspiracy theorists think was / is going on is bunk.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
No Ticket
IndyFan

I heard, from somewhere but I cannot remember where, that Hitler (The Nazis) performed weird experiments on prisoners. Like injecting ink into their eyes to see if they could change the eye color.

That's in addition to the insane weapons they were developing. I'm pretty sure they had created a jet or almost created a jet around the time of the end of the war, but by then it had no real use.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:02 AM   #20
AlStewart
IndyFan

Yeah, they conducted all kinds of medical experiments from the 'sane' i.e. ones with a basis in fact, to the 'insane' - ones to investigate their racial theories. They used concentration camp prisoners as well as their own people. It's led to some barneys today, where some doctors refuse to use data or cures solely based on those experiments.

As for technology, it seems to have been a fair mix of 'very good' to 'you what?' They had the first operational jet fighter / bomber in the Me262 and a whole host of others just coming operational or on the drawing board.

But some of them also tried to conduct experiments which used infra red sensors to detect ships way beyond visual range - because they believed we live on the inside of the earth, not the outside, and so the ships would be detectable 'above' them...

I suppose in any group of people you'll have a mix of smart and dumb, but really, some of the ideas that got supported stretch credence to the limit.

It's at the really pushing it end of the spectrum that you get quests for things like the Ark, and where the excellent material for telling Indy stories lies.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #21
Erik Pflueger
IndyFan

The thing about the Nazis is that there's very little that can be said about them that isn't believable. The sheer enormity of their crimes and their ambitions make such charges completely credible, even to experts. Once you've pulled off something as crazy as industrialized mass murder on a continental scale, it's easy for people to believe you can, or have, done practically anything.

If you were to say that they launched a mission to Tibet to find a lost Aryan offshoot (and they did), people can see that happening. If you were to say they had people looking into the Holy Grail (they did), it would be believable. If you were to say that the SS were going to build their own Vatican City as a headquarters (they were), that too is believable. If you were to say they were developing UFOs and that they colonized the Moon before the United States (they didn't), it's still belieavable by some people (in fact, a good portion of Neo-Nazi ideology is built upon such stories).

What has happened really is that the Nazis have become an icon of evil in the common mind, upon which anything strange or esoteric can ultimately be projected with credibility. And you have to thank the Indiana Jones films, to a certain extent, for that happening, although the origins of that lie back in the 1960s, not with Lucas or Spielberg. The revival of the Indiana Jones franchise, in addition to making people ask what Crystal Skulls are, may encourage even greater and more rigorous study into this strage and fascinating aspect of Nazism.

It does give me pause, though: now that the Soviets are the current bad guys, do they have the same aspect of strangeness to them as the Nazis did? Would people believe anything said about Stalin and the Bolsheviks like they do about Hitler and the Nazis? The research is much more scarce, though it can be hoped that the new film - like the old ones did about Nazi occultism - may encourage the study of Russian wackiness and bring forth new books on the subject.
Erik Pflueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #22
para_owl
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Pflueger
The thing about the Nazis is that there's very little that can be said about them that isn't believable. The sheer enormity of their crimes and their ambitions make such charges completely credible, even to experts. Once you've pulled off something as crazy as industrialized mass murder on a continental scale, it's easy for people to believe you can, or have, done practically anything.

If you were to say that they launched a mission to Tibet to find a lost Aryan offshoot (and they did), people can see that happening. If you were to say they had people looking into the Holy Grail (they did), it would be believable. If you were to say that the SS were going to build their own Vatican City as a headquarters (they were), that too is believable. If you were to say they were developing UFOs and that they colonized the Moon before the United States (they didn't), it's still belieavable by some people (in fact, a good portion of Neo-Nazi ideology is built upon such stories).

What has happened really is that the Nazis have become an icon of evil in the common mind, upon which anything strange or esoteric can ultimately be projected with credibility. And you have to thank the Indiana Jones films, to a certain extent, for that happening, although the origins of that lie back in the 1960s, not with Lucas or Spielberg. The revival of the Indiana Jones franchise, in addition to making people ask what Crystal Skulls are, may encourage even greater and more rigorous study into this strage and fascinating aspect of Nazism.

It does give me pause, though: now that the Soviets are the current bad guys, do they have the same aspect of strangeness to them as the Nazis did? Would people believe anything said about Stalin and the Bolsheviks like they do about Hitler and the Nazis? The research is much more scarce, though it can be hoped that the new film - like the old ones did about Nazi occultism - may encourage the study of Russian wackiness and bring forth new books on the subject.

I agree with your post for the most part. I have often joked with a friend of mine about writing essays about Hitler. I have heard just about every possible weird theory when Hitler is discussed at all. The reason? No one is going to come to Hitler's defense.

--Will.
para_owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #23
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket
I'm pretty sure they had created a jet or almost created a jet around the time of the end of the war, but by then it had no real use.
Yup. The Messerchmitt 262 which was in the planning stages before the war even started.
It actually did see some action in the last stages of WW2.

Ron Cobb did an illustration of his version that was to be used in "Raiders" instead of the Flying Wing.
(He put the engines on the side of the fuselage toward the rear instead of under the wing.)

They made a bomber, too. The Arado 234.

Believe it or not, the Germans were actually developing a Flying Wing (not just the U.S.).
I would post a photo but this baby probably deserves its own thread!

Anyway, that "Cities of the Underworld" History Channel documentary sounds very interesting.
Has anyone ever seen the documentary "Architecture of Doom"? Both fascinating & frightening at the same time.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #24
Gear
IndyFan

Actually Stoo, if I'm correct, the Flying Wing used in Raiders was actually built for the first time especially for the film from actual Nazi blueprints.

As for Nazi experimentation, they did all kinds of horrible things to 'subjects'. One theory that was experimented was the myth of twins feeling each other's pain. They took two twin girls and placed them in seperate rooms and electricuted each one at a time with cattle prods. The twins were killed, they were only 12.

The whole 'Nazis on the moon' theory isn't that far fetched, remember, the U.S. used former Nazi scientists to land Apollo on the moon-if, of coarse, you believe they hit the moon in '69.

What we need to remember is, yes Nazis were evil and, yes, the Russians have their own agenda, but the U.S. is just another super power. What makes America different from Nazi Germany or comunist/post comune Russia, or Korea? For decades and especially in the past two conspiracy stories of sinister U.S. government files and experiments have surfaced.

We need to look around at whats happening in our own time. The people of Germany in the '20s and '30s didn't and look what happend to them.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #25
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear guardian
Actually Stoo, if I'm correct, the Flying Wing used in Raiders was actually built for the first time especially for the film from actual Nazi blueprints.
Hey, gear. I think I remember reading somewhere that it was based on the American (Northrop) design.
(There is footage of the thing in flight.) The German prototypes first used propellors and later, jet engines.

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote