TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 03-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
jeff2178
IndyFan

Treasure of the Peacock's Eye

I just saw this one again, and think it is one (out of the many) that are the best. It was a true adventure tale, and you can finally see indy come into the Indiana we know. The other shows were great but this just seemed like one of the true adventures he would have. Also it connects to the Temple of Doom with the Diamond in the beginning that Indy wants, the Pecock's Eye. I just think it was a great one!
jeff2178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

Coincidentally I just watched it again myself Yesterday, and yes, I Love that episode, thank god it got made, it really goes a long way toward connecting the chronicles with the movies, you can really see where hes going with his life. Its also one of those episodes, like Ogana, where the narrative of Indys life is really moved along, that and Flannerys more like Ford then in any other episode. I adore the complete change in tone with the islands and Malinowski, really really great stuff.
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Jones
Coincidentally I just watched it again myself Yesterday, and yes, I Love that episode, thank god it got made, it really goes a long way toward connecting the chronicles with the movies, you can really see where hes going with his life. Its also one of those episodes, like Ogana, where the narrative of Indys life is really moved along, that and Flannerys more like Ford then in any other episode. I adore the complete change in tone with the islands and Malinowski, really really great stuff.

Agreed. My favorite episodes of the series tend to be those with heavy character developement and character moments.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2178
Also it connects to the Temple of Doom with the Diamond in the beginning that Indy wants, the Pecock's Eye. I just think it was a great one!
Unfortunately, this seems to be just fan speculation (but I like the idea).

Yes, it's definitely one of the best ones. Despite all the action, locations and atmosphere,
one of my favourite parts is when Indy & Remy are freshening up by the waterfall.
Such a neat little scene. I love the fact that they have one more adventure after
splitting up in "Attack of the Hawkmen". Ade Edmunson made a great villain, too!

However, I prefer the original because the VHS changed the voice of the lady pirate.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
metalinvader
IndyFan

Well,The new Borders exclusive trilogy adaption states that it is infact the peacocks eye.So,It looks like the Indy "EU'' has made this official.Unfortunetly,THe book makes no mention of Remy but it does mention that Indy has been searching for the eye for a long time.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
However, I prefer the original because the VHS changed the voice of the lady pirate.

I bloody knew it! I've only seen the video version, but her voice is just ridiculous - it's hardly ever in sync to begin with.

Ugh.
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalinvader
Well,The new Borders exclusive trilogy adaption states that it is infact the peacocks eye.So,It looks like the Indy "EU'' has made this official.Unfortunetly,THe book makes no mention of Remy but it does mention that Indy has been searching for the eye for a long time.
What?!?!? COOL!!!!!!
What exactly does it say? Is it new text in the "Doom" novel or is part of
some bio/timeline? Tell me more, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matinee Idyll
I bloody knew it! I've only seen the video version, but her voice is just ridiculous - it's hardly ever in sync to begin with.
Yes, it's really bad. She's not as fluent in English in the original which makes it more authentic.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
metalinvader
IndyFan

Quote:
What?!?!? COOL!!!!!!
What exactly does it say? Is it new text in the "Doom" novel or is part of
some bio/timeline? Tell me more, dude!

http://www.bordersstores.com/search/...chType=Keyword

Here's a link to the book.The book contains the three junior adaptions of the movies.THe first chapter of TOD starts off with Indy going to meet his father at his office,Who was holding his mail for him.While,Indy is waiting for his father,Who is late btw,He opens his mail and finds a letter telling him to meet them somewhere in regards to the peacocks eye.The letter gives the time and meeting place for info regarding the eye's whereabouts,Which happens to be an hour after Indy reads the letter.So needless to say,Indy never met with his father and the rest is Indy history.

*edit*
I forgot to post a link to the original thread about the book.

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12936

Last edited by metalinvader : 03-23-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
ReggieSnake
IndyFan

hmmm... just taped this episode from the History Channel yesterday morning.

I was going to continue with the second DVD on first set of the YIJC, but it looks like I might have to cut to the chase and watch Peacock...
ReggieSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
Avilos
IndyFan

I think its HIGHLY likely that when TotPE was shot that Lucas intended the Peacock's Eye to be the Diamond in ToD. It may even be the very same prop! The other scenario - That both feature a similar Diamond and it was later retroactively made to be the same, seems unlikely.

Anyone think this story would have been better suited to be the final Young Indy story? Taking place while he was at the University of Chicago. Instead of happening right after the War, Remy visits Indy to enlist him on the quest. It works very well as it is. But considering there never was a last episode its not hard to imagine this as one. I like Hollywood Follies but it does not have much significance for Indy. Just his adventures in Hollywood during his summer break.

Sure, Malinowski's influence on Indy starting his studying would have been lost. But maybe in the version I purpose Malinowski would have encouraged him to continue with his education. Otherwise Indiana Jones would have been a mere treasure hunter/grave robber. But never a legitimate Archaeologist. Like I said I love the episode as is but I think this would have been a slight improvement.

Last edited by Avilos : 03-23-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
metalinvader
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avilos
I think its HIGHLY likely that when TotPE was shot that Lucas intended the Peacock's Eye to be the Diamond in ToD. It may even be the very same prop!

It's not the same prop.The diamond in TOD came to a point,As seen here..

While I cant find a picture of the diamond from the YI series I'm very sure that the diamond was round.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #12
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:

Lucas can't leave anything alone.

Quote:
Anyone think this story would have been better suited to be the final Young Indy story?

Yeah, it ends on a high note: "I'm going home." After all he's experienced in the war and Malinowski's pep talk, that would have been the perfect way to end the series in terms of the re-edits. So I wouldn't want it to be set later during Indy's college years, because I think it would lose some of its impact.

Now that I think about it, we're pretty lucky it got made, as it was one of the four TV movies shot after ABC canceled the series.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #13
Avilos
IndyFan

Honestly that screencap is way too small for me to tell.

Maybe the difference you are perceiving is the angle at which it was seen from in each.
http://www.indyprops.com/pp-diamond.htm

It maybe a different prop. My point was it could be the same. Due to the fact that Lucas saves and labels all the props from his films.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
Avilos
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
Now that I think about it, we're pretty lucky it got made, as it was one of the four TV movies shot after ABC canceled the series.
I imagine a movie showing these elements was a priority before production ended. Beyond the foreshadowing of his treasure hunting, they needed to resolve Remy's character. Of all those 4 movies its the one that covers the most ground. I bet Lucas would have shot TotPE even if Family channel never aired it. Maybe filmed along with the branching footage. Saving it for the future Video/DVD releases that were always planned.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Quote:

Ugh, the dubbing is just so embarrassing. It makes me cringe if I'm watching it with anyone else in the room... What the hell is wrong with him!?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #16
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Quote:
Yeah, it ends on a high note: "I'm going home." After all he's experienced in the war and Malinowski's pep talk, that would have been the perfect way to end the series in terms of the re-edits.

As it stands, the series finishes with Hollywood Follies, right? Talk about ending on a downer.

I haven't seen it in years, but I remember some terribly unconvincing bluescreen sunset as Indy sits in a car spouting horrific dialogue and trying to grope the girl beside him.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #17
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
I imagine a movie showing these elements was a priority before production ended.

They should have ditched the Hollywood Follies idea and made the "Indy meets Abner" and/or the "Indy meets Belloq" episodes that were planned.

Quote:
Of all those 4 movies its the one that covers the most ground.

Don't forget Travels with Father!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matinee Idyll
As it stands, the series finishes with Hollywood Follies, right? Talk about ending on a downer.

Yep. The least Lucas could have done is switched it around to be before "Mystery of the Blues", because Ford's cameo, combined with our first glimpse of the University of Chicago, would have made for another satisfacory ending, given what was made. Maybe the real-world events of Hollywood Follies dictated where the movie could be plaed in the timeline.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #18
ReggieSnake
IndyFan

Quote:
They should have ditched the Hollywood Follies idea and made the "Indy meets Abner" and/or the "Indy meets Belloq" episodes that were planned.
It's really too bad those didn't get made! Then again, some of that info may be in KotCS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metlinvader
It's not the same prop.The diamond in TOD came to a point,As seen here..

While I cant find a picture of the diamond from the YI series I'm very sure that the diamond was round.
Having just watched it, the only time that I noticed that they show the diamond was when the museum curator is showing Indy and Remy the glass replica. The way he holds it, you can't tell whether it's pointed or not.

I like the idea that it is the same diamond Indy is after in Shanghai; it helps complete the episode.

Quote:
Was it the actress's original voice before? Wow, that VO was pretty bad...
ReggieSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #19
Indy Smith
IndyFan

I'll jump in and agree that the ADR was terrible in that scene. There are a few other bad moments of ADR in the Yound Indy Series. The best of which seems to be Major Boucher. I didn't realise he was ADR'd.

I wonder what makes them put it out like this? I mean, surely they can see that it sucks and does not fix?

The main topic though, I like the idea that The Peacocks Eye is the Diamond that Indy was after in Temple of Doom. Even if it wasn't deliberate it still cool to say they are the same diamond.
Indy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #20
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

timeline wise they couldn't really have switched around mystery of the blues with hollywood follies, as sydney buchet (or however one spells his name) is in scandal of 1920, which leads directly into hollywood. but yeah, it is a terrible way to end it-

as for the peacocks eye, we never see the actual diamond so it doesn't really matter if the doom diamond diverges slightly.
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:21 AM   #21
jeff2178
IndyFan

Even thought Lucas didn't plan on the diamond in TOD to be connected, it's just one of those happy hollywood accidents, I'll take it, the other thing about Peacock was when Indyand Remy was in the cave, it showed little effects of Raiders in light and music...cool..
Old 03-26-2008, 07:22 AM   #22
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Even thought Lucas didn't plan on the diamond in TOD to be connected, it's just one of those happy hollywood accidents, I'll take it, the other thing about Peacock was when Indyand Remy was in the cave, it showed little effects of Raiders in light and music...cool..

LOL, yeah, it seems that in Indiana Jones productions, some of the best things happen by accident.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #23
jeff2178
IndyFan

It also starts pretty cool, with the war ending in minutes and they had to race to capture the soldier in no man's land, then he tells them about the treasure. What a great way to start....
Old 03-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #24
Stoo
IndyFan

So much to say about this episode!

First off, thanks, metalinvader, for the link to the Junior novels. Personally, I’m thrilled
by the connection and can’t believe they extended the story even further!

The crystal replica in the link Avilos provided is not the same shape as the stone in “Doom”
and definitely not an actual prop. The film version is larger, doesn't have a pointed tip and
has smaller facets on its crown.

http://www.indyprops.com/pp-diamond.htm

Now, here's the interesting part:
The peacock statue is described as being a “small replica” which would mean that
the real diamond is bigger than the curator’s version. He says that the 2 eyes each
weighed 140 carats which matches (approx.) the size of the one in “Doom”!

It’s hard to believe but The Eye of the Peacock is never shown in the original broadcast.
During the museum scene, the curator does not produce the diamond replica. There is a
shot where he is about to reach into his jacket and starts to look warily behind at the
painters in the background. Is this when he “pulls it out?” (My VHS re-release is not here
with me, so I can't check.)

I love the diamond’s history especially with the British colonel and could go off
on a whole tangent about that story with even further connections to “Doom”...

One thing that really made me happy was seeing the 4-pack of “Peacock’s Eye”
and the movie trilogy in ’99. If any episode deserves a place alongside them, it’s this.

Quote:
What a great way to start....
Yes, jeff2178, great way to start and the story just barrels along from there!
Don’t you love the mad train dash from Alexandria to Port Said when the red line
is zig-zagging like crazy over the map?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieSnake
Was it the actress's original voice before? Wow, that VO was pretty bad...
The original voice for the lady pirate was dubbed, too (and also not synched very well)
so I have no idea if it was the voice of the actress or not. Thankfully, she only has a
few lines so it’s not *that* detrimental.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #25
Flannery10
IndyFan

Treasure of the Peacock's Eye is in many aspects my favorite episode of the whole series. No episode had such a great connection with the movies, except Mystery of the Blues perhaps, for obvious reasons.

I love all the fight scenes, great landscapes and the character of Bronislaw Malinowski, an intelligent man, whose goodbye quote is one of the best ones of the whole series: "Kanoo, break through your sea passage, fly through peril, leave your imprint in the sand. Perhaps we'll meet again." Some people say that was a little too much, but in my opinion it was just a great goodbye.

It's sad to see all the changes that were made to the episodes that didn't include George Hall bookends. Useless, and once again it leaves me with a big ?
Flannery10 is offline   Reply With Quote