Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 03-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #26
ReggieSnake
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
It’s hard to believe but The Eye of the Peacock is never shown in the original broadcast.
During the museum scene, the curator does not produce the diamond replica. There is a
shot where he is about to reach into his jacket and starts to look warily behind at the
painters in the background. Is this when he “pulls it out?” (My VHS re-release is not here
with me, so I can't check.)
He does pull it out, but the bottom part is still covered by his hand and the cloth that was covering it if I'm not mistaken.

Wait....I'm telling Stoo something about Young Indy?

Flannery, I agree: it has a great ending.
ReggieSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #27
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flannery10
Treasure of the Peacock's Eye is in many aspects my favorite episode of the whole series. No episode had such a great connection with the movies, except Mystery of the Blues perhaps, for obvious reasons.

I love all the fight scenes, great landscapes and the character of Bronislaw Malinowski, an intelligent man, whose goodbye quote is one of the best ones of the whole series: "Kanoo, break through your sea passage, fly through peril, leave your imprint in the sand. Perhaps we'll meet again." Some people say that was a little too much, but in my opinion it was just a great goodbye.

It's sad to see all the changes that were made to the episodes that didn't include George Hall bookends. Useless, and once again it leaves me with a big ?

TotPE is indeed great. But IMO, the German East Africa/Congo episodes still have it beat.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #28
Flannery10
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
TotPE is indeed great. But IMO, the German East Africa/Congo episodes still have it beat.

Absolutely. They also count as my favorite episodes, with bookends.
Flannery10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #29
Flannery10
IndyFan

When I said Treasure of the Peacock's Eye was my favorite episode, I really meant I like it because of it's similarity to the movies. There are really, really few episodes I don't like, because all of them were unique in many ways and therefore it's hard to pick a favorite episode. My short analysises for the episodes and why I like or don't like them:

Part 1

1) Curse of the Jackal- Great action and humor, probably closest to the Indy movies after "Peacock's Eye"
2) London, May 1916- Romance and Humor greatly mixed together, Hurley is just lovely
3) British East Africa, September 1909- Perfect Action for a Corey Carrier episode, great camerashots and deep message
4) Verdun, September 1916- Brutal, but truly told war episode, with a brilliant musical theme
5) German East Africa, December 1916- Thrilling episode, sad but action-packed and a great plot
6) Congo, January 1917- Great dialogues, especially the Reverence for Life and Schweitzer talking to the tribe chief about the war, very emotional
7) Austria, March 1917- Gripping episode, with good action and humor, not really special, but pefectly made
8) Somme, Early August 1916- Another good war episode, but in my opinion not as good as Verdun
9) Germany, Mid-August 1916- A good mix of humurous and sad scenes, has its lenghts but entertaining nevertheless
10) Barcelona, May 1917- Quiet unique and funny, a little silly, but still plausible and not as far fetched as Prague
11) Mystery of the Blues- Great music, perfect bookends, but not the best after-war episode, good entertainment, though
12) Princeton, February 1916- Like a Nancy Drew adventure, with lots of funny scenes and there is quite a bit of action, more for a younger audience, though
13) Petrograd, July 1917- Packing and even though not really filled with action, it keeps you on the edge of your seat for most of the time
14) Scandal of 1920- Funny and Hillarious, and in my opinion, better than Mystery of the Blues
15) Vienna, November 1908- In my opinion a little ridicolous in some scenes, but great costumes, locations and pretty funny
16) Northern Italy, June 1918- Romance, Humor and Action mixed together in a good way, one of the funniest episodes
Flannery10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #30
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

yeah i liked treasure of the peacocks eye but i really liked the war episodes it really shows why indys so dang good in hand to hand combat and everything else
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #31
LaoCheRules!
IndyFan

Yeah I think Peacock was one of my favorites, but I never liked that scene where that guy with the turban bursts into the room. The production value just seemed like nothing, the room had nothing in it. It made the scene seem very fake.
LaoCheRules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:49 AM   #32
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoCheRules!
Yeah I think Peacock was one of my favorites, but I never liked that scene where that guy with the turban bursts into the room. The production value just seemed like nothing, the room had nothing in it. It made the scene seem very fake.

That scene seemed to be an homage to Temple of Doom.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:27 AM   #33
fixer79
IndyFan

Yeah, that was a great episode!
I loved the fact that they cast Adrian Edmondson as Zyke.
I've been a big fan of him since 'The Young Ones' and 'Bottom'!
fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #34
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Quote:
Lucas can't leave anything alone.

Now, now, that's not quite true. I don't think he's altered Willow yet, after all.

Not yet.

Quote:
Yeah, it ends on a high note: "I'm going home." After all he's experienced in the war and Malinowski's pep talk, that would have been the perfect way to end the series in terms of the re-edits. So I wouldn't want it to be set later during Indy's college years, because I think it would lose some of its impact.

Now that I think about it, we're pretty lucky it got made, as it was one of the four TV movies shot after ABC canceled the series.

Indeed...
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:30 AM   #35
Joosse
IndyFan

Treasure of the peacock's eye

I was watching the treasure of the peacock's eye for the first time last night, only being able to see most Young Indy episodes now I finally have the DVD's. It was a lot of fun, but I couldn't help but notice that the Chinese pirates were obviously very well supplied...

Some of them were using M1 Garand rifles, wich considering this was supposed to be 1919 is quite an achievement...

Development on that particular type didn't start untill about 1933...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand
Joosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:42 AM   #36
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Historical inaccuracies aside, piracy in that part of the world was a menace well into the 1930s. I read quite a bit about China in the 1930s (particularly Shanghai, and travel to and from). It was common on the passenger steamers to lock the Chinese below decks for the duration of the voyage, to protect the other passengers from what they might get up to.

Piracy was big business and the Triad gangs were powerful, with European officials in their pockets (just like the corruption in Chicago at the same time), but perhaps not powerful enough to obtain weapons 12 years ahead of development!
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #37
Stoo
IndyFan

Nice spot, Joosse! I would have never noticed that myself.

The ONLY thing I don't like about the VHS/DVD version of "Peacock" is the re-dubbed voice of the main pirate lady. Now it is more American sounding instead of a thick Chinese accent as on the TV version.

Now, I hate to do this to you, Joosse, but there's already a thread about the episode (despite the spelling error): Treasure of the Pecock's Eye. Maybe one of the mods can merge and fix the title?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #38
Joosse
IndyFan

Quote:
Now, I hate to do this to you, Joosse, but there's already a thread about the episode (despite the spelling error): Treasure of the Pecock's Eye. Maybe one of the mods can merge and fix the title?

Sorry, maybe that's why it didn't turn up in a search...

Neither did Scandal of 1920 by the way, but there was already a thread about that one as well. A moderator seems to have fixed that at least.

Thanks!
Joosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #39
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosse
Some of them were using M1 Garand rifles, which considering this was supposed to be 1919 is quite an achievement...

I just watched this again over the weekend. And while they could be M1's, I thought they were M-1903 Springfield's. Both are highly similar weapons. In fact, I think the only significant cosmetic difference was a heavier/thicker stock on the M1; the "en bloc" ammunition system was used in both weapon systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joose
Development on that particular type didn't start until about 1933...

Lucas likes to fudge dates, but after reviewing the scene it does appear that some of them are indeed M1's. You can clearly see the stubby over-under barrel that clearly distinguishes the two. In the end, it's a fairly innocuous inaccuracy.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #40
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
First off, thanks, metalinvader, for the link to the Junior novels. Personally, I’m thrilled by the connection and can’t believe they extended the story even further!

This is definitely in my Top 5 episodes. However, having subsequently learned about the retcon done between this and Temple, it's not something I'm especially fond of. I liked that it was just some diamond, and not connected to Alexander the Great. (The actual idea of such tenuous at best.)

Quote:
Now, here's the interesting part: The peacock statue is described as being a “small replica” which would mean that the real diamond is bigger than the curator’s version. He says that the 2 eyes each weighed 140 carats which matches (approx.) the size of the one in “Doom”!

For me, the interesting part was when the curator says that the peacock statue was destroyed after Alexander's death in 322. Well, why was it destroyed? Was it with Alexander when he died in Babylon? And if so, what happened to the rest of the gold; how did the diamond end up in India? Considering that Alexander never really made it into the sub-continent, there's lots to explore here. Another thirty minutes in Alexandria/Cairo/whatever would have been great as Remy & Indy delve more into the history of the diamond.

Quote:
I love the diamond’s history especially with the British colonel and could go off on a whole tangent about that story with even further connections to “Doom”...

You and me both!

Quote:
One thing that really made me happy was seeing the 4-pack of “Peacock’s Eye” and the movie trilogy in ’99. If any episode deserves a place alongside them, it’s this.

Agreed. Even though I initially (and mistakenly) bought the full frame set, I was definitely glad to have Treasure of the Peacock's Eye in my possession.

Quote:
Don’t you love the mad train dash from Alexandria to Port Said when the red line is zig-zagging like crazy over the map?

Yes! It was really cool, but I still don't know why Indy and Remy didn't cut across from Cairo to Suez. It's practically a straight shot. And I believe the rail line was up and running by 1918.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #41
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
This is definitely in my Top 5 episodes. However, having subsequently learned about the retcon done between this and Temple, it's not something I'm especially fond of. I liked that it was just some diamond, and not connected to Alexander the Great. (The actual idea of such tenuous at best.)
Upon first hearing about it, I liked the connection but am not so crazy about it now. Something which deserves repeating is that the original TV version did NOT contain the shot of the curator showing the replica of the diamond! A facsimile wasn't seen until the VHS release. (Something I've always wanted to know: Is this a case of fan wish-dom being turned into fact?)
Quote:
For me, the interesting part was when the curator says that the peacock statue was destroyed after Alexander's death in 322. Well, why was it destroyed? Was it with Alexander when he died in Babylon? And if so, what happened to the rest of the gold; how did the diamond end up in India? Considering that Alexander never really made it into the sub-continent, there's lots to explore here. Another thirty minutes in Alexandria/Cairo/whatever would have been great as Remy & Indy delve more into the history of the diamond.
The peacock would have been probably melted down just as one of the diamond eyes was cut into smaller stones. The one Indy & Remy were after had 1600 years to switch hands! (As said above, I could go crazy inventing a back story for this thing.)

To me, the Eye of the Peacock is a mixture of the legends surrounding two of the most famous gems: the Hope Diamond and the famous Koh-i-Noor, both from India and each with a fascinating history. The Hope was cut from the larger French Blue, which had (false) legends of it being an eye of a statue.
Quote:
Yes! It was really cool, but I still don't know why Indy and Remy didn't cut across from Cairo to Suez. It's practically a straight shot. And I believe the rail line was up and running by 1918.
I was wondering about something like that but, personally, I like the fact that they go on a mad train dash and the way the red line eases into the final straight to Port Said is so nicely done.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #42
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
I just watched this again over the weekend. And while they could be M1's, I thought they were M-1903 Springfield's. Both are highly similar weapons. In fact, I think the only significant cosmetic difference was a heavier/thicker stock on the M1; the "en bloc" ammunition system was used in both weapon systems.

Lucas likes to fudge dates, but after reviewing the scene it does appear that some of them are indeed M1's. You can clearly see the stubby over-under barrel that clearly distinguishes the two. In the end, it's a fairly innocuous inaccuracy.

Some of those are clearly M1 Garands not Mausers. I mean most people would never notice but there is a big difference between the two weapons. One is a bolt action rifle while the other is a much faster firing semi automatic rifle, which is a great advantage. I bet alot of the prop guys and people working on the show never even realized the mistake.

There are of course weapons mistakes in the films, such as Kubelwagen's in '38 (crusade) and MP40's in both raiders and crusade. There were MP 36 and 38's, so perhaps they were these earlier prototype models. There also were Kubelwagen prototypes in 38, so I like to think Indy gave the Germans a chance to test out their new weapons.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #43
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Stoo, where was this episode filmed? I was wondering if they actually shot in Java or Papua New Guinea. I know Papua New Guinea and the Trobrian Islands are pretty remote, would have been a tough shoot.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #44
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jones1986
I bet alot of the prop guys and people working on the show never even realized the mistake.
Or maybe they did and didn't give a toss or figured no one would notice. The mistake on the weapons doesn't bother me at all but it is interesting to know!
Quote:
Stoo, where was this episode filmed? I was wondering if they actually shot in Java or Papua New Guinea. I know Papua New Guinea and the Trobrian Islands are pretty remote, would have been a tough shoot.
Not exactly sure about the exotic locations but it looks like they were filmed in & around Thailand. (It would be nice to know so that they can be added to the Filming Locations thread.)

Location Manager - Pairoj Rojlert Janya (AKA Pairoj Rojlertjanya who is a Thai production manager)
Production Supervisor (Thailand) - Santa Pestonji
Electrical Equipment - VS Service, Bangkok
Old 05-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #45
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Or maybe they did and didn't give a toss or figured no one would notice. The mistake on the weapons doesn't bother me at all but it is interesting to know!
Not exactly sure about the exotic locations but it looks like they were filmed in & around Thailand. (It would be nice to know so that they can be added to the Filming Locations thread.)

Location Manager - Pairoj Rojlert Janya (AKA Pairoj Rojlertjanya who is a Thai production manager)
Production Supervisor (Thailand) - Santa Pestonji
Electrical Equipment - VS Service, Bangkok

That was my guess, Thailand can easily fill in for both Indoensia and Papua New Guinea/ The Trobriand Islands. It has the beaches and rainforests necassary. Those tribesmen were very convincing and looked authentic though and they were certainly not Thai. I wonder how they worked that out.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #46
Jeremiah Jones
IndyFan

As far as I recall, the exterior of the temple where they found the box is at Sukothai in Thailand, I was there years ago. I'd seen Peacock's eye yet despite clambering over and inside the thing I didn't recognise it til years later when I was going back over old photos
Jeremiah Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #47
Lao_Che
IndyFan

Quote:
The one Indy & Remy were after had 1600 years to switch hands! (As said above, I could go crazy inventing a back story for this thing.)

For what it's worth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Doom Sourcebook
For this service, Mr. Che has agreed to pay the finder a sizeable reward in gold, along with a diamond he recently acquired. The gold would enable our [Chinese Historical Preservation] Society to acquire many other notable pieces, while the diamond once belonged to an Emperor of the T'ang Dyansty, and is very valuable in its own right.

Though "this adventure is written assuming that the player characters rather than Indy are hired by Lao Che to perform this task[...]" The task being Nurhachi.

And:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyn's Temple of Doom novel
We are in possession of the Eye of the Peacock, which we offer to you as payment, though you must promise not to inquire how we came to possess such a prize.
Lao_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #48
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

One another thing I noticed in this episode was when Indy is in the temple and reaches for the box, I believe there is a snake in the crevice and he shows no fear as it slithers past his hand. Did anyone else notice this?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #49
Lao_Che
IndyFan

Quote:
One another thing I noticed in this episode was when Indy is in the temple and reaches for the box, I believe there is a snake in the crevice and he shows no fear as it slithers past his hand. Did anyone else notice this?

He doesn't know the snake is there because he can't see anything in the hole.
Lao_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #50
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao_Che
He doesn't know the snake is there because he can't see anything in the hole.

I thought it makes a hissing sound which would have alerted him it was there.