Soundtrack excerpt?

commontone

I could totally buy that as authentic. Sounds like John Williams for sure, with a fair amount of Prokofiev/Shostakovich to it.

Dr. Gonzo

The begining of it sounds goofy to me. The end seemed more viable. The begining reminded me of Danny Elfman music. Like "Beetlejuice".
Not ruling it out though.

scifiwolf

I like it, but it's hard to put that to Indy, or at least a scene from Indy. Maybe the jungle chase or sword fight?

commontone

Dr. Gonzo said:
The begining of it sounds goofy to me. The end seemed more viable. The begining reminded me of Danny Elfman music.

It is goofy, but in a kind of sinister, mocking way...very much like Shostakovich (or Elfman, who was inspired by him).

He was the de facto "official composer" representing Russia during WWII and the Cold War, when in fact he detested Stalin and the way they pressured him to change his music to suit their desires, or in some cases outright censored him. They used his music as propaganda. He would respond by inserting bumbling, circus-like music in his scores that was literally meant to mock Stalin and the Bolsheviks (or Khruschev). Or he would write over-the-top optimism, like his "Festive Overture," mocking the esprit de corps of the Communists.

I'm not saying I'm 100% sure this is real, but all along I have been imagining something like this being in the score...a nod to the great Russian composer of the Cold War, Shostakovich. In that sense, it's very fitting.

AHegele

that sounds like pure Williams and could easily be placed in a light action sequence like swordplay or something. sounds plausible and legit.

Mike Dowswell

ohhhhhh man, interesting....and, very, very, hard to say if this is John Williams or not...

...that bit at 0:51 didn't sound like him at all...and yet, and yet...a lot of it did sound like it could be John Williams...

Last edited:

Mike Dowswell

...and while i'm here talking about music....can sombody tell me if the music at the start of A L I E N S is Gayane Ballet Suite (Adagio) - by Gennadi Rezhdestvensky?...which we also hear in 2001...

...really interested to know if sombody can answer that for me.

commontone

They did use the Gayane suite, or at least James Horner quotes it/riffs of it. It was composed by Khatchaturian, though.

It would make sense that Horner defaulted to using some existing excerpts, because he had very, very little time to compose the score for Aliens. He had to score the final battle sequence overnight, so that it would be done in time. He avoided James Cameron for many years after that, until Titanic.

Dr. Gonzo

commontone said:
It is goofy, but in a kind of sinister, mocking way...very much like Shostakovich (or Elfman, who was inspired by him).

He was the de facto "official composer" representing Russia during WWII and the Cold War, when in fact he detested Stalin and the way they pressured him to change his music to suit their desires, or in some cases outright censored him. They used his music as propaganda. He would respond by inserting bumbling, circus-like music in his scores that was literally meant to mock Stalin and the Bolsheviks (or Khruschev). Or he would write over-the-top optimism, like his "Festive Overture," mocking the esprit de corps of the Communists.

I'm not saying I'm 100% sure this is real, but all along I have been imagining something like this being in the score...a nod to the great Russian composer of the Cold War, Shostakovich. In that sense, it's very fitting.

That is very interesting... mocking the communists and all. Very interesting. Thanks commontone. Do you have a music background or do you just appreciate music history ...what they call a "music lover"?

sandiegojones

I've heard almost every JW soundtrack and although it sounds similar to him, I don't think this is actually his score. It sounds a lot like Joel McNeely.

If it is from Indy 4 then it's not from a scene with Indy I don't think. Could be a Spalko & Mutt scene.