Customizing Indy Figures

pipecito2112YYZ

Lambonius said:
Haven't finished my sidecar yet, but I did break out my new paints and do a facial repaint on the googly-eyed duplicate Idol Indy that came with my Akator playset. This is actually the first time I've ever attempted painting eyes, and I think it came out quite well. I'm now utterly convinced that the original Idol Indy headsculpt is actually an amazing, truly Harrison-esque sculpt that is vastly underappreciated--the crappy paint apps just hid it.

indycropped2.jpg

indycropped.jpg

indycropped3.jpg

wow... amazing job!!! now i want to do the same with my ciaron indy an turn it into "nuked the fridge indy"... amazing job!!!

Billy Ray

Well, since the stickers I made for my sidecar came out so good, I thought I would give this a try. Once again, I didn't see myself painting this at this scale, so I made a sticker. Best part is, it is easily removable and causes no permanent damage to the figure:

IMG_06381.JPG

NickTurner

Great idea! I myself have made "authentic marking" stickers for 1/32 German planes, and as you say, these can easily be removed if desired. I assume you printed them out right? I think the tricky part is getting just the right size. I usually end up printing many before I get one just right!

Lance Quazar

Hey, can you provide the image of your final printed armband?

Would love to print that out myself (and avoid the hassle of trying to create one half as good as yours!)

Billy Ray

NickTurner said:
Great idea! I myself have made "authentic marking" stickers for 1/32 German planes, and as you say, these can easily be removed if desired. I assume you printed them out right? I think the tricky part is getting just the right size. I usually end up printing many before I get one just right!

Yeah, I just printed it out on a mailing label. You are right, getting the size right was a PITA! I really wanted the black borders showing, so that didn't help matters much. I did print out a bunch...not sure what my wife will think when she find a bunch of tiny swastikas all over the place;)

Hey, can you provide the image of your final printed armband?

Would love to print that out myself (and avoid the hassle of trying to create one half as good as yours!)

Sure thing, PM me your e-mail address and I can send it to you when I get home today.

Billy Ray

They are from a Golden Compass figure that I picked up at Big Lots. Can't remember the characters name, but it is the guy that Daniel Craig played. I originally picked it up because it comes with a Webley revolver, I didn't even notice the goggles till I opened him. They look ok I guess, I might cut off the fluffy part around the lenses though.

Lambonius

I went ahead and kitbashed my repainted Idol Indy a bit to get him looking like the excellent prototype pictures we saw way back when. Swapped his belt/holster with a spare LC Indy one I had lying around, and gave him Map Room Indy's bag with the brown strap. I'm pretty happy with him; he's about as ideal a Raiders Indy as I could get. :)

idealindy.jpg

The Golden Idol

Lambonius said:
I went ahead and kitbashed my repainted Idol Indy a bit to get him looking like the excellent prototype pictures we saw way back when. Swapped his belt/holster with a spare LC Indy one I had lying around, and gave him Map Room Indy's bag with the brown strap. I'm pretty happy with him; he's about as ideal a Raiders Indy as I could get. :)

idealindy.jpg

Awesome! How's he holding the Idol?

Billy Ray

Awesome work, looks really nice! I may just pick up a spare Raiders Indy and have a go at repainting him. It's kind of hard to find one around here that doesn't have a hat that is all bent to crap though:rolleyes:

Lambonius

Billy Ray said:
Awesome work, looks really nice! I may just pick up a spare Raiders Indy and have a go at repainting him. It's kind of hard to find one around here that doesn't have a hat that is all bent to crap though:rolleyes:

You yourself are an advocate of the boiling water trick, are you not? That should be more than enough to straighten out the hat, I'd think. ;)

The Golden Idol

How's this for Belloq's hair:

249.jpg

TLC-470.jpg

Just do a "face transplant" using the Belloq figure's face, repaint the hair grey and you're done!

BTW, that's the new Han Solo figure that's in stores now.

Deckard

The Golden Idol said:
How's this for Belloq's hair:

249.jpg

TLC-470.jpg

Just do a "face transplant" using the Belloq figure's face, repaint the hair grey and you're done!

SIR! THE RECIPIENT IS REJECTING THE NEW FACE!

Ya that does look decent tho fo Belloq, or for an Indy figure that just took a rocket sled ride.

Lance Quazar

Someone on rebelscum (can't remember who, sadly) used Sandstorm Han's hair for a Belloq custom.

The results were...pretty good, but not great. I still think it looks a little too unruly. Like Belloq caught in a nasty breeze.

Kevin

Lance Quazar said:
Over the past few months, I've been making a small collection of figures to use as custom fodder for Indy-verse customs. Not always easy, since action figures in "real world" outfits are hard to come by.

But here are some pics of what I've managed to put together. Indy figures are show for size comparison...

The Jurassic Park 3 line has been used for SW custom fodder for several years now.

I only recently discovered this Alan Grant variant figure with the vest, which, despite limited articulation, would make a great base for just about any kind of figure, particularly in an outdoors, wilderness, jungle, desert or other kind of "adventure" setting.

The other Alan Grant figure in white is a little bulky (and also hampered by limited articulation), but is another solid and un-dated generic guy.

In this next picture on the left is a character (don't know the name) from the recent Speed Racer film line. These figures run a little short, but the scale looks perfect. He's just a short guy.

Give the outfit, stature and facial features, I think this guy would make a terrific gangster character or possibly a government bureaucrat. The lavender tie and handkerchief need to be repainted (red would look fine), but otherwise he's good to go.

In the middle is the Bruce Wayne figure from a recent line of Dark Knight 3 3/4" figures. They suffer from limited articulation (but thankfully have knees.) and this Bruce figure, though a little skinny, could be used for countless Indy-world characters.

In the next pic, Bruce is sporting a spiffy "trench coat", courtesy of the Golden Compass Sam Elliot figure. Sam is way too tall to fit in with this bunch, but his jacket makes a great trench coat for just about any of these scale of figures.

From another part of Gotham City comes Commissioner Gordon from the DC Infinite Heroes line.

The one on the left sports a cut down version of Sam Elliot's coat, making a perfect blazer.

I think Gordon is a great base for a Donovan figure and has fairly good articulation with both knees and elbows. Many other possibilities with this one.

There is an outstanding line of 3 3/4" Harry Potter figures by PopCo which are not available in the United States. I got this Harry on ebay and am very happy with it.

Good articulation all around. For customizers, a few dabs of paint could transform Harry into one of Indy's students at Marshall (or is it Barnett?) College. Remove the sweater and you have a solid male torso with tie for many other possibilities (possibly paired with the Sam Elliot coat.)

Last but not least is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a Toht figure - the body from the Comic Con exclusive Black Suit Cobra Commander figure.

These babies are widely available, but terrifically expensive, on ebay. The blue blazer version is even more rare and pricey.

Here I've put on the head from one of the Imperial Officers EE pack and presto - instant Marcus or Donovan or any other character.

With the strong possibility that Toht himself may never see the light of day, this figure will probably only go up in price, but it's a terrific body with loads of custom potential.

And finally a group shot!

Following up on Lance's excellent post about using figures from other lines for Indy, I wanted to mention that the 25th GI Joe battle pack "Arise, Serpentor, Arise" contains a fantastic 3.75" skeleton of some long-dead king (Atilla the Hun I believe), which fits in perfectly with the Indy figures. Here is a pic: http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=1947. Plus, if you collect Joes, this is a great way to get an extra BAT!

Lance Quazar

^Yeah, that's awesome. I just ordered one from ebay, I'm very excited.

Perfect for a Sir Richard/Venice catacomb dio, perhaps??